I found a battery tender in Wally World the other day. $19, figure it can't be all bad. After reading the instructions (probably my first mistake) I am concerned about hooking this thing up. I have already added the connectors to my terminals and have the connector snaked out to a convenient but hidden spot on my 07 RSV, but am concerned. Do I need to remove the seat and monitor it or can I leave the seat on the bike and just plug in the connector? I was hoping that is all I have to do. Because in south Louisiana it snow one day (?) :rudolf:and 70+ degrees the next.

Also, is the battery a 12 Volt or 6 Volt. Did I mention, I know NOTHING - lol

Thanks for the advice in advance.:hurts:

I have a battery tender I use with my 1st Gen during the winter (it snows here and then is still cold the next day):doh: Mine has a light on the converter you plug into the outlet that shows the color based on the battery condition. Red is charging, yellow an issue, and green is all charged.

I agree check the battery the first time you hook it up to make sure all is well and then let it do the job.

I always connect it to the bike and then plug it in the wall to help prevent any sparks or irratic connection that might decrease the life of the battery or the tender.

Also, make sure to disconnect the tender before every starting the bike.

Dave

So, If everything goes fine the first time. You think it would be okay to leave the seat on the bike? I hate taking it off where I have to park it - carport. Just don't like leaving it open for the world and more importantly, the cats love to sit on it. Don't want any fried cats - atleast not on the bike.

Thanks again

Guest Ken8143

I used to plug it in and let it go. A green light came on when the battery was charged and it would just give a little bit as needed.

Then, I discovered it nearly cooked my battery try. Haven't heard of that happening to anyone else. Not sure what the problem was. - Ken

Most folks I know that use battery tenders just plug em in and forget it. Whatever you're comfortable with. I wouldn't worry myself.

Maybe you know...is it ok to trickle charge the battery from the 12V accessory plug located on the fairing? Someone responded that the plug is electrically off, when the ignition key is on off position. But what if I put it in accessory and plug in my trickle charger that way...will this work? Has anyone attempted this route on their Venture?

...is it ok to trickle charge the battery from the 12V accessory plug located on the fairing?

Haven't heard of anyone doing this on a Venture. I have heard of that on a car. Works (eventually). I don't think it could work if the accessory plug is switched off.

Cig lighter in the fairing runs through the ignition switch.

ALWAYS make sure you get a QUALITY batter tender and not a Harbor Freight cheapie.

I would only use either the "Battery Tender" brand or Schumacher. I have a Schumacher.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51ZSBZv4RsL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Edited by flb_78

Strange thing about my Schumacher battery charger. Works fine on the Venture, but when I tried to use it on my older car (70's) it actually drained the battery all the way down. I even disconnected the battery from the car. No chances of messing that up. Could never figure out why. I followed the instructions and shouldn't have had any issues. So I plugged in my battery tender and it charged it up just fine.

Cig lighter in the fairing runs through the ignition switch.

ALWAYS make sure you get a QUALITY batter tender and not a Harbor Freight cheapie.

I would only use either the "Battery Tender" brand or Schumacher. I have a Schumacher.

Personally, I have no problems at all with the Harbor Freight float charger (currently available for $5). I ride all year, so I have never needed a battery tender for winter storage, but when I crashed the 05 last year it sat for close to six months waiting for me to repair it. After a couple of months the battery was down to mid 11 volt range, so I charged it with normal charger and then picked up one of the "cheapies" from Harbor Freight. I was a little worried about it, since you most often really do get what you pay for, but it worked perfectly on the RSV until I finally fixed the bike three months later.

That was a full year ago, and I just took that four year old battery out and had it load tested to see if I needed to think about replacing it. Nope - it passed load testing with flying colors! So I think my $5 Harbor Freight "cheapie" was a great buy.

Goose

BTW - here is another great use for a battery tender: I have added a second cigarette lighter type power outlet just behind the seat on the left side (the hole is already there on an RSV), wired directly to the main fuse. I added a cigarette lighter type plug to the float charger, and by plugging it in there, I am able to remove the battery without loosing the radio presets or the trip odometers! You can't use the front power outlet for this since it is disconnected with the key off, and even in the ACC position the bike pulls more current than a little float charger can put out.

Goose

I am able to remove the battery without loosing the radio presets or the trip odometers! You can't use the front power outlet for this since it is disconnected with the key off, and even in the ACC position the bike pulls more current than a little float charger can put out.

When I connected my battery harness for my Gerbing heated clothing to the battery, I had to take off the battery connections. In my amazement, my clock and radio settings remained in tact. Looks like Yamaha may have installed a small battery within to keep the settings on my '07...not sure though.

I am really tempted to trickle charge my bike through the 12V outlet located on the left side fairing. My trickle charger is from SEARS and they call it a 'Battery Conditioner'. It does have a yellow and green light to indicate full capacity and/or trickle charging for a minimal 2A. If my battery conditioner will not be able to keep up with the charging and it constantly remains in yellow mode...this will verify my curiosity that it is not possible to trickle charge through the 12V outlet...this afternoon will be interesting and I hope I don't burn anything on my Venture...

When I connected my battery harness for my Gerbing heated clothing to the battery, I had to take off the battery connections. In my amazement, my clock and radio settings remained in tact. Looks like Yamaha may have installed a small battery within to keep the settings on my '07...not sure though.

I am really tempted to trickle charge my bike through the 12V outlet located on the left side fairing. My trickle charger is from SEARS and they call it a 'Battery Conditioner'. It does have a yellow and green light to indicate full capacity and/or trickle charging for a minimal 2A. If my battery conditioner will not be able to keep up with the charging and it constantly remains in yellow mode...this will verify my curiosity that it is not possible to trickle charge through the 12V outlet...this afternoon will be interesting and I hope I don't burn anything on my Venture...

The fairing power plug is totally disconnected with the key off - you cannot do that.

Most modern electronics have capacitors that hold enough voltage to keep it alive for a short period when the power shuts off, usually less than a minute. This is true of the RSV. You can briefly disconnect the battery, but if it is more than a minute or so (I haven't actually measured it), you do loose the radio, clock and odo memory. I suspect it won't even hold it for 30 seconds. I had the battery out for over a day, but the float charger connected to the battery cables maintained everything for me.

Goose

I bought the 1.25 Amp Battery Tender Plus a couple of years ago when I was at the Daytona rally and it worked OK on my 1st Gen for several months but then it acted up and totally drained my Odessy gel battery. It took 4 days to bring the battery back up on slow charge. I was lucky that it didn't ruin my battery.

I've been meaning to send it back as it's under warrenty still and they will repair/replace it for $12.95 since I can't find the receipt.

If I use it again I will certainly keep an eye on it.

db

:rudolf:

I've bought 2 battery tenders from Walmart for around $20.00 and have used them on my Virago and my 1st gen without any problems for several years. When I bought my '99 Venture the guy I bought it from gave me the Battery Tender brand. He already had the connectors hooked to the battery and come out from the side cover so I just park it and plug it in. In Montana it will sit for a few months before it gets ridden again.

Norm

Guest BigJohnD

I have been toying with the idea of getting something for the bikes...

Then I go to reading...about chargers and tenders...and then my eyes glazed over.

See if I can get this right...a charger is good to charge a battery, but can cook your battery if left on for long periods.

A tender has the ability to charge a battery...but monitors the charging process and shuts itself off when the battery is charged and comes back on when it needs to.

So...if I got this right...for storage of the bike, I should be looking for a tender, not just a charger?

I have heard good things about the battery tender and a junior model...

any suggestions on what might work?

I have heard about the front fairing plug being switch activated...but what about the other one on the back part of the bike?

Battery tender is a name brand for for a battery maintainer... The good ones come with a fused wire battery hook up that you install on your bike and leave it where you can get at it... Now when you pull your bike in the garage it takes 2 seconds to hook up... instead of pulling the seat and hooking it up with the jumper cable clips... I've heard this connector called a BMW connection and it also works on some heated clothing..

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41VwHgzEyjL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

The OEM battery that comes with the RSTD is an AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) battery and is not intended to be "trickle charged" to maintain a charge. Doing so will damage the battery. The Yuasa Smartshot 1.5 amp charger is a 5 stage unit that has a 28-day charge recycle that re-evaluates the batteries charge and then charges as necessary.

I purchased this charger shortly after purchasing my 2006 RSTD and have found it to be a reliable unit, keeping my battery in top condition.

Here's the company's website: http://www.yuasabatteries.com/chargers.asp

The fairing power plug is totally disconnected with the key off - you cannot do that.

I did not get the chance to try it this afternoon...instead winterized my tractor and did a 30 minute ride.

Anyway...what if I put the ignition on accessory and then plug in the battery conditioner...what is your take on this?