I have an 05 RSV and I have never had anything so frustrating as the whine and rear end noise. I love the comfort and performance of my bike but can't take the noise. I had the I basket installed at approx 18,000 miles and the whine went completely away. The last week in June my wife and I rode to the North Carolina mountains. We wore our shorty helmets so we used ear plugs. The only noise I could hear was the whine of the transmission. I now have 22,000 miles and the whine has come back and starts at 40 mph and gets louder as you go faster. This past weekend my wife and I rode to the North Carolina mountains again and this time we wore our 3/4 helmets so we could use the intercom. I was so disappointed that all I could hear was the whine of the transmission. The ride would have been perfect if it hadn't been for the whine. When I would go down a hill and didn't have to have any throttle and there was no whine it was so pleasant. I can't believe yamaha hasn't eliminated this problem. If I could trade I would do it in a heartbeat, but I financed the bike and am too upside down to trade. As far as suing yamaha, it would be almost impossible. Attorney's want a case where they can possibly get a large settlement. If you sued and won how much could you collect for damages for a loud transmission noise? Probably not much. Also, yamaha has corporate attorneys on salary that could keep you in court for years and cost you a fortune in attorney fees before anything was done. If yamaha can't solve the whine I will never buy a venture again. Eddie Hall

Well, I have talked to yamaha on this, and the guy I talked to said basically the "i" basket is no guarantee. He also told me to ride it for a nother 1000 miles to see if it still bothers me. I work for a company that can fabricate different materials, I'm going to see if I can come up with something. I also noticed after having the rear splines regreased it seemed to be alot less annoying, but is starting to come back again. I'll keep everyone posted.

The chirping and/or whine of this bike is absolutely annoying to me. I've just bought an '07 and (of course) it didn't chirp during the test ride.

For me, I'll probably complain a lot about this, but the positives of the bike so far outweigh the negatives. What bothers me is that these particular bikes (RSV and RSTD) seem to be the only ones made with this chirping/whining noise. Nothing Honda, Kawa, Suzuki or BMW makes have this problem and I've never heard a complaint about clutch life in any of those bikes. Even HD can make a clutch/transmission that doesn't sound like a screamin' bangee.

Just wondering - do the Stratoliners and crotch rockets Yamaha manufactures make this same noise? Also, is the noise noticeable to someone standing on the side of the road as you ride by?

Sometimes, I think I'm more embarrassed about the noise than annoyed. Anyone else feel that way? :(

I have also wondered that before myself, I am sure folks can

here us coming from miles away.. I still am trying to keep my hopes

up of maybe another fix. but with a almost 8 year old bike It is not looking

very good.

Jeff

Apparently Harley has had some complaints also. The dealer that I talked to this week admitted to me that they had a lot of complaints with the new 6 speed tranny but only in 5th gear. According to him, that is apparently the gear that most use as 6th is really an overdrive/freeway gear. He said that they do use a straight cut gear and the whine has really annoyed some people. He also said that though Harley has mentioned no changes/improvements at all that the '08s seem to be MUCH quieter.

Can people on the side of the road hear it? Yes, if the clutch basket chirp is bad, they can hear it. I remember several years ago after Rick Butler bought his first second gen and came by my house in Dallas. I was out in the driveway doing something when he drove up and I heard it when he turned off the road. I already owned mine then and had heard about the chirping but had not heard it in person. That was when I knew that the sound is NOT normal and that NOT all the RSVs were afflicted with it.

And I always have wondered WHY??? not ALL are the same?

I know there is straight cut gears ect.. but why do some NOT

make the noise? I guess over the years I got used to how

wonderfully Quite the Honda's have been.

So if it's really the clutch basket does it whine at a cetain RPM not matter what gear you're in? If it's not RPM related then in my opinion it has to be in the tranny and not the clutch. Maybe this is why some have luck with a basket change and others do not.

The problem with this entire whine/chirp problem is that it is not the same sound that people complain about. The RSV does indeed use straight cut gears and though very strong, they are noisy. All of the RSV and RSTDs are going to have noisy transmissions. This is the case that I believe different weights of oils and etc. may help. I have always described this sound as that of the old granny gear trucks and etc. that when you let off the gas and let them coast down, you could hear that whine from the transmission or rear end. This is what I think Yamaha claims is normal and I pretty much agree with them. Some find it to be an irritation but that's just the nature of the beast. Now there have been a number of cases where this whine IS excessive but in those cases, it has turned out to be problems with the rear end, NOT the tranny or clutch basket. Improper rear alignment, bad wheel bearings, etc. have been the cause of that problem.

The clutch basket is an entirely different sound. It is a high pitched chirping sound. I describe it as that of a canary on steroids. :) That is the sound that some of these bikes have and others don't. It is NOT normal. Some bikes have the problem, some don't. In those that do, the volume and RPM at which it occurs varies. This is the problem that Yamaha should be ashamed of and have tried for almost 10 years...actually longer...to deny. It is a real problem that they should have corrected. I'm not sure exactly what they are missing in quality control but I believe it has to do with the clearances in the clutch basket. It is a tolerance issue that I believe could be corrected at the factory but for reasons know only to them, they have chosen to ignore it expect for those who really complain about it.

I agree completely. I think each bike for whatever reason has some degree of whine/noise in the trany/clutch area.

For quite a while I just chalked it up to people being to particular about noise. But a bike pulled up along side me on a ride and man was that thing loud, not sure what the problem was but it was loud.

My bike sounds like the old GMC you talked about at certain speeds. It also has a bit of chirp at 65 MPH in 5th but I just ignore it. I like the bike so much I am willing to overlook some short comings. But they should have had it fixed by now.

Seems like all bikes have some sort of problems for whatever reason.

When you think the noise is so bad you can't stand it find yourself a 49 HD to ride for a few miles. The RSV will seem like a Caddy.

Jerry

The problem with this entire whine/chirp problem is that it is not the same sound that people complain about. The RSV does indeed use straight cut gears and though very strong, they are noisy. All of the RSV and RSTDs are going to have noisy transmissions. This is the case that I believe different weights of oils and etc. may help. I have always described this sound as that of the old granny gear trucks and etc. that when you let off the gas and let them coast down, you could hear that whine from the transmission or rear end. This is what I think Yamaha claims is normal and I pretty much agree with them. Some find it to be an irritation but that's just the nature of the beast. Now there have been a number of cases where this whine IS excessive but in those cases, it has turned out to be problems with the rear end, NOT the tranny or clutch basket. Improper rear alignment, bad wheel bearings, etc. have been the cause of that problem.

The clutch basket is an entirely different sound. It is a high pitched chirping sound. I describe it as that of a canary on steroids. :) That is the sound that some of these bikes have and others don't. It is NOT normal. Some bikes have the problem, some don't. In those that do, the volume and RPM at which it occurs varies. This is the problem that Yamaha should be ashamed of and have tried for almost 10 years...actually longer...to deny. It is a real problem that they should have corrected. I'm not sure exactly what they are missing in quality control but I believe it has to do with the clearances in the clutch basket. It is a tolerance issue that I believe could be corrected at the factory but for reasons know only to them, they have chosen to ignore it expect for those who really complain about it.

You're right - no bike is perfect. HOWEVER, there are bike manufacturers out there who listen to the people paying the bills and address their complaints. It's just unbelieveable to me that this particular "imperfection" has been complained about for 10+ years without any real solution offered by Yamaha. Can you spell REDESIGN? Heck, it's amazing to me that they haven't changed or updated the RSV since 1999! I didn't know I was buying 8 year old technology when I purchased this motorcycle. I should have done more research.

How many times do you think Yamaha has been told that there isn't enough light behind the RSV or that linked brakes would improve the bike's stopping ability? Do you think they have shown any concern at all about the safety of the people buying their premium tourer? Don't you also think it's strange that Yamaha has made the decision to put fuel injection on their V-twins and not on the Venture or Tour Deluxe? I find that confusing to say the least, especially since they've had so many years to do it. And if they say it would make the bike too expensive, they're lying through their teeth.

Perhaps Yamaha should reduce their piano and jet ski designers and hire somebody familiar with what motorcycle buyers want.

I just purchased a half helmet because here in SC, my 3/4 helmet is just too hot in the summer. Earlier today I wore it for the first time on my '07 RSV. If you don't already know, you'd be amazed at how much noise a 3/4 helmet shields from your ears. I should have bought a full face. I'd rather have sweat in my eyes than chirping in my ears. I've ridden dozens of motorcycles from just about every manufacturer except BMW and I've never heard anything like this brand new tourer I'm just now starting to make monthly payments on.

Despite the tone of this, I'm not usually a whiner and complainer. I paid full retail for this bike, so I figure I'm entitled to voice my disappointment. Like I said, though, it's my own fault since I failed to do the necessary research prior to buying. I just loved the look of the bike, and the test ride was comfortable and quiet.

It's nice to be proud of what you ride. Right now, I'm more embarrassed than proud. I hope that changes because the bike is beautiful and comfortable. It just ticks me off that I've given a company like Yamaha my hard-earned money.

Sorry for the rant and rave.

You're right - no bike is perfect. HOWEVER, there are bike manufacturers out there who listen to the people paying the bills and address their complaints. It's just unbelieveable to me that this particular "imperfection" has been complained about for 10+ years without any real solution offered by Yamaha. Can you spell REDESIGN? Heck, it's amazing to me that they haven't changed or updated the RSV since 1999! I didn't know I was buying 8 year old technology when I purchased this motorcycle. I should have done more research.

How many times do you think Yamaha has been told that there isn't enough light behind the RSV or that linked brakes would improve the bike's stopping ability? Do you think they have shown any concern at all about the safety of the people buying their premium tourer? Don't you also think it's strange that Yamaha has made the decision to put fuel injection on their V-twins and not on the Venture or Tour Deluxe? I find that confusing to say the least, especially since they've had so many years to do it. And if they say it would make the bike too expensive, they're lying through their teeth.

Perhaps Yamaha should reduce their piano and jet ski designers and hire somebody familiar with what motorcycle buyers want.

I just purchased a half helmet because here in SC, my 3/4 helmet is just too hot in the summer. Earlier today I wore it for the first time on my '07 RSV. If you don't already know, you'd be amazed at how much noise a 3/4 helmet shields from your ears. I should have bought a full face. I'd rather have sweat in my eyes than chirping in my ears. I've ridden dozens of motorcycles from just about every manufacturer except BMW and I've never heard anything like this brand new tourer I'm just now starting to make monthly payments on.

Despite the tone of this, I'm not usually a whiner and complainer. I paid full retail for this bike, so I figure I'm entitled to voice my disappointment. Like I said, though, it's my own fault since I failed to do the necessary research prior to buying. I just loved the look of the bike, and the test ride was comfortable and quiet.

It's nice to be proud of what you ride. Right now, I'm more embarrassed than proud. I hope that changes because the bike is beautiful and comfortable. It just ticks me off that I've given a company like Yamaha my hard-earned money.

Sorry for the rant and rave.

Can't you get this addressed under warranty? If not by the place you purchased it from, by some other shop.

When I purchased my bike new in Sept 05 it had the whine around 50mph, but if I went below or over 50 it went away. No problem, I can work around that. I was on my way to bike week in daytona this spring and the whine started at 30mph and got louder as I got faster until at 70mph it was unbearable. I went by one of the guys riding with me and he heard the whine. I had approx 17,000 mile on the bike. The dealer put the I basket in and the whine went completely away but started coming back and now it starts at about 40 mph and gets louder as you get faster. It is unbearable and I shouldn't have to put up with this. This is my first and last venture. As someone said on this site, yamaha said they didn't care about the current customers only the potential customers, well yamaha better change that attitude or they won't have may current customers. I can't believe that don't understand repeat cutomers.

Guest kozman01

My 07' has approximately 1300 miles and it whines occassionaly. When it whines, it drives me NUTS! It is such a distraction for me that it ruins the ride. Like a previous poster stated, should have done more research. I'll give it another 1000 or so miles, but if it doesn't go away and the dealer puts something new in it and the sound returns, I won't be buying anothr Yamaha. This was my first and might just be my last. I'm really hoping the sound goes away as the bike rides rather nice.

My 07' has approximately 1300 miles and it whines occassionaly. When it whines, it drives me NUTS! It is such a distraction for me that it ruins the ride. Like a previous poster stated, should have done more research. I'll give it another 1000 or so miles, but if it doesn't go away and the dealer puts something new in it and the sound returns, I won't be buying anothr Yamaha. This was my first and might just be my last. I'm really hoping the sound goes away as the bike rides rather nice.

Many of you have read my previous rants but I'll go again anyhow. My 2006 RSTD had the whine so bad that with the windshield off and BUB slipons installed, at 70 MPH I could only hear the whine! I returned it to my dealer (Blackfoot Motorsports in Calgary, Alberta) after 4 days of ownership and with 1000 km on it, and asked for a warranty claim and a new "i" basket, after reading many threads on the pre-crash version of this site. The dealer asked the regional rep, Star Yee about it. The reply was, "We are VERY aware of this problem. There is a brand new fix coming out in the summer, wait until then and we'll fix it for sure." So, we waited because that seemed reasonable enough, if not what I wanted to hear. Then in April I was chatting with Salty in Cold Lake Alberta. He had gotten the same story from Star Yee in the fall of 2005. The "new fix" was sent to his dealer with instructions from Star Yee that it was not to be installed until Star was present. But after 3 weeks of Salty's bike being held hostage, Star just never had time to get there so the dealer went ahead and opened the package to install it. Guess what, it was an "i" basket! And it fixed about 80% of the whine, from what I understand.

When I heard this, I went back to my dealer, who went back to Star Yee, and after a lot of discussion it was admitted that the "new fix" is the same "i" basket that I asked for originally! It took another month of wrangling to get a warranty claim opened at Yamaha Canada and to get the "i" basket ordered. The message from Yamaha Canada was that they will do this once only, and if it gets worse instead of better, I would have to pay out of pocket to re-install the old basket!

I complained (at first tactfully then very bitterly) to the main Yamaha Canada office. The rep, Karine Beland, said they investigated my complaint about Star Yee and found it to be without merit. Further she went on to say things like, "well you know, sounds are subjective. Many motorcyclists modify their bikes to make more sound instead of less"... (Like anyone anywhere would ever install whiny gears on purpose!) Gimme a break!!!!

Other than my dealer, who was excellent throughout this whole thing, no-one at Yamaha was even the slightest bit apologetic, nor would they acknowledge that there was anything wrong whatsoever except that I wouldn't tolerate the noise, basically what is wrong with me and why am I bothering them!

The new "i" basket fixed about 80%, and switching to Amsoil knocked it out completely. So I really love this wonderful bike now, it's the best ever. But after 32 years and 11 Yamaha's that I loved every one of, I'll never ever buy another Yamaha product because of their attitude. Those Yamaha's included a first gen Venture and a VMax, both of which I loved and DID NOT whine!

The egotistical belligerence that Yamaha intentionally and with highest management approval uses to browbeat recipients of their poor quality control is just too much for me to tolerate. Never again, I am very sad to have to say.

Bob LeDuc

Calgary, Alberta

I cant believe my ears, looks like that I may just have to ridoff my bike, I will be telling the dealer how I feel and I will be sending a litter to a Yamaha Headquaters, but most of all I trusted my friend that works at the dealer and when I asked him if there was anything wrong with this bike he told me no. Now the other day when I told him about the chirp he said the samething its the nature of the beast, well that didnt seat well with me and he knows that so what is going to happen between hem and I only time will tell, i feel like he just wainted to make a sale and not care for me as a friend and i beleive he should of let me know about that issue, man I'm realy mad. Ill tell you all that I'm done with Yamaha and I might just get rideoff this bike love the look the ride and everything else but the noise is to much to take, and let me tell you this that I dont think my noise is even that loud but I can hear it like its in side my ear. I can go on all day but it wont help so i wont, Im going for a ride right now hope I wont get mad and just ride the bike into a wall wish me luck, and to make matters worse I ride with 2 buddies with HD.:bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head:

I cant believe my ears, looks like that I may just have to ridoff my bike, I will be telling the dealer how I feel and I will be sending a litter to a Yamaha Headquaters, but most of all I trusted my friend that works at the dealer and when I asked him if there was anything wrong with this bike he told me no. Now the other day when I told him about the chirp he said the samething its the nature of the beast, well that didnt seat well with me and he knows that so what is going to happen between hem and I only time will tell, i feel like he just wainted to make a sale and not care for me as a friend and i beleive he should of let me know about that issue, man I'm realy mad. Ill tell you all that I'm done with Yamaha and I might just get rideoff this bike love the look the ride and everything else but the noise is to much to take, and let me tell you this that I dont think my noise is even that loud but I can hear it like its in side my ear. I can go on all day but it wont help so i wont, Im going for a ride right now hope I wont get mad and just ride the bike into a wall wish me luck, and to make matters worse I ride with 2 buddies with HD.:bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head:

I feel your pain my friend. I was so frustrated when I first noticed the "chirp", I thought I would go nuts. Had I known about the chirp, I probably wouldn't have bought the bike. But, what do you do after you've already brought the bike home? I didn't want to go through the additional frustration of having the clutch basket changed 5 or 6 times (with no guarantees of success), so I took the advice of one of the guys on this site. I just ignore it, cause there's nothing I can do about it. I accept the fact it exisits, and I try to focus on other things such as the stereo, or the scenery. I know it's not much of a solution. But, over time (6k miles later), I've found it doesn't bother me as much as it use to. I love this bike in every other respect, but the day the bike is paid off it's getting traded in.

I feel your pain my friend. I was so frustrated when I first noticed the "chirp", I thought I would go nuts. Had I known about the chirp, I probably wouldn't have bought the bike. But, what do you do after you've already brought the bike home? I didn't want to go through the additional frustration of having the clutch basket changed 5 or 6 times (with no guarantees of success), so I took the advice of one of the guys on this site. I just ignore it, cause there's nothing I can do about it. I accept the fact it exisits, and I try to focus on other things such as the stereo, or the scenery. I know it's not much of a solution. But, over time (6k miles later), I've found it doesn't bother me as much as it use to. I love this bike in every other respect, but the day the bike is paid off it's getting traded in.

Yup - me too - I have an 06 RSTD and so far 3 dealers have told me they have never heard of this problem. I referred them to this site - yada, yada yada - the story and headaches continue. I too have tried to ignore the whine/chirp but I have started to look at Honda and Kawasaki. Too bad - the Yamaha is a beautiful bike and runs great but there is no way, after a year of listening to this whine that I am keeping this bike. Having bought the "top of the line" bike - its inexcusable to have this problem and even worse, trying to get it fixed - not worth the headaches anymore. The positive news is that I have been reading on this site for a year - what a great group of people!!!

Cheers

Eugene

Yup - me too - I have an 06 RSTD and so far 3 dealers have told me they have never heard of this problem. Eugene

Hi Eugene,

You should take a run down to Bob's Motorsports in Chatham. http://www.bobsmotorsport.com/ They know about the issue and where happy to swap my clutch basket out. I can't say enough good about these guys. They really try to make you happy.

Having said that, don't expect to totally eliminate the whine. It will change but it won't go away.

Hi Eugene,

You should take a run down to Bob's Motorsports in Chatham. http://www.bobsmotorsport.com/ They know about the issue and where happy to swap my clutch basket out. I can't say enough good about these guys. They really try to make you happy.

Having said that, don't expect to totally eliminate the whine. It will change but it won't go away.

Hey Gary - many thanks for the tip. I may just do that - I love this bike and if they can at least tone it down a bit, I'd be ok with it. I just find that after a few hours of riding, it gets truly tedious and distracts from the pleasure of riding and scenery. I know, try to ignore it but.....

Anyhow - nice to hear from you and thanks again, Chatham isn't that far from me so I may just give it a try.

Eugene

We all have out thoughts on the "I" basket, and I can only speak for my little "gem." I had an 02 RSMV, loved it, but after 90,000 miles, in 05 it died. Yamaha would not cover any of the repairs, thought the mileage was above normal usage. Thanks to the great people at Garners Yamaha in Hobbs, NM I got a great deal on my current 05 RSMV.

Like anyone else after the initial maint. the "whine" appeared, took it back to Garners, they fought with Yamaha and lost. So since we didn't have a problem with the "whine" in the 02 RSMV, which was sitting in the back of the shop, we took the basket out and put it in the 05.

Again, the "whine" was still there, not as bad, but as different RPM. Well retirement set in and my wife and I moved to Texas and 2 years later and many phone calls and letters to Yamaha, they broke.

They agreed to get me an "I" basket and they were going to send it to Garners for the repair. Since I was in TX and been searching for a great dealer (I had used a couple and thought they were useless), I had done a little bit a business with a dealer about 80 miles away. I was told the part would be ordered and they would notify me when everything was in place. As TIME went bye and bye and bye and bye...I called the dealer and they releaized THEY had to order the part.

Finally the day had arrived, I went to get my bike, the first question asked......Is it quiet, is the whine gone, can I hear the pipes.. and the answer was..............................................sounds great.

I couldn't wait, got on the bike, ran the gears, got onto I-10, turned the throttle back and it sounded like two monkeys sitting on top of the fuel tank doing illegal things to each other. Of course I spoke with Columbus, but got the typical answer...thats all that can be done.

I have taken the bike to other dealers, they all say the same thing...its a Yamaha problem. All though the dealer in Kerrville, TX did mention that it was a louder "whine" than the others.

I live with theproblem now, like others I use ear plugs. The only thing I plan on doing now is try and find a gret dealer, have them tear the basket apart, enure everything is correct and verify that the "I" is really the "I" basket that Yamaha says they sent.

If soembody can come up with a solution to the allmightly "whine" I always like trying something new. Good Luck

I hear alot of angry people out there and I can say I'm one of the, Now someone said that as soon as the bike is paid off there going to trade it well my bike is paid off in full I may just pull the tricker and during the off season I may go HD and do what you just said. But the problem is how much do you thing the dealers will give you for this bike with that sound on it or do you think they will even take the trade, I'm just asking because how embarrassing will it be if you go and do to the sound they say that the bike is not worth the trade, so now I ask you all what do I do now, all I can say is we have alot of members in this site and we also have alot of friends that have or are looking to get a Bike and if Yamaha just for some reason or another finds out that let say how they treat there customers how would they like that. Better yet there a show here in Jersey called shame on you I just may have to call them but the main problem is that I dont think my bike is loud enough and I'm the only person that I know that has this bike here in New Jersey, Don't get me wrong I seen others around but I don't know anyone. Ok sorry but we need to get together and try something we have to understand we hold to much power and influance to not do something. Let me know what you all think. This can't go on.

:bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head:

• 2 weeks later...

I just had an "I" basket installed last Saturday and it really made a difference! I found myself running at higher speeds without realizing it because of the reduction in noise. I wasn't sure before if I had the wine and the chirp or just the wine. The best I can describe it is that I still hear a whine on decceleration but the noise? is not there under acceleration. It doesn't seem to have moved either. I plan on going to RI in a couple of weeks to meet BobE. I'll see how it does after a few days on the highway.

The generally unacceptable changeouts to the clutch baskets will prompt Yamaha to change the gear set-up in future models according to a local Yamaha man who remains anonymous. Testing by an independent MC racing motorcycle shop seems to indicate the primary drive gear is the culprit. A local dealer did 3 changeouts on a pals RSTD (06) to no avail.

Dealer says the '08's are expected to be quieter and will do a special cash swap with my pal for one of them. Interesting? Mine is noisy (05 RSV Midnight)and the ear plugs custom-fitted cancel out the whine, chirp and geartrain noises. Now I really enjoy the thrumming and power on the highways. Aside from the gear noises, I love this RSV performance. I have had 3 first gen models and noise never a problem. I think when Yamaha re-tooled for the 1999+ 2nd gens, they somehow changed tolerances.

Who will ever know the truth?/Bilko