IGNORED

How This Big Old Top-heavy Bike May Have SAVED My LIFE

Aimhigh

I have been having regular (yearly) checkups. The doc does bloodwork the whole caboodle. The year I turned 40...he snaps on the rubber gloves, cuddled up to my backside and told me to "relax". He's been doing that for 10 years now....still cant relax though! This year he started on colon cancer screening test....that I didnt care for one bit!!! But i am good for 5 years before the next one.

It is a good thing the doc caught this....my wishes for a speedy recovery from your surgery.

I have been having regular (yearly) checkups. The doc does bloodwork the whole caboodle. The year I turned 40...he snaps on the rubber gloves, cuddled up to my backside and told me to "relax". He's been doing that for 10 years now....still cant relax though! This year he started on colon cancer screening test....that I didnt care for one bit!!! But i am good for 5 years before the next one.

It is a good thing the doc caught this....my wishes for a speedy recovery from your surgery.

heh.... you'd hafta be a certain kinda "fella" for that!!! :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Not trying to rain on anyones parade but I have heard of two aquaintances having a lot of problems (one resuting in death) from the colon-op.

One is in the hospital with a punctured spleen?

I know many go through it with no problems but it seems I am hearing a lot of the negatives lately? I am 51 and not too sure I want to have a 6' tube going where no man has ever gone before:225:

While the colon tests are equally important...my original posting regards prostate testing...this is merely a urine sample...if the PSA level is good...no problem. But if not, this simple test can identify prostate cancer in its earliest stages thereby allowing action to be taken (even if it's just "wait-and-see") to eliminate the possibility of the cancer spreading to other parts of the body. While it is not a pleasant situation, prostate cancer can be cured...much easier and more effectively, with less live-changing results, than if the cancer spreads. Even if you are avoiding the colonoscopy, please have the PSA checked. I am very thankful for the opportunity to find and treat this in its early stages...I love my life and want to be around for as many years as possible to enjoy it with my Wife and Son.

My purpose for my original posting was to hopefully urge you guys to ensure you get the testing that might prove as fortunate to you as I have been.

But you all turned the table on me with your prayers and well-wishes.

I am truly humbled more than I can express.

It is just another reason to be a part of the venturerider family.

Thank you all...I wish you the best. :You_Rock_Emoticon:

• 3 months later...

I would have posted this earlier, but have had computer problems.:think::confused24:

My message is that last week I was finally able to ride again...between the operation and the surgery haven't ridden since late December. It was great to be back on the bike...I was afraid I would have forgotten how, but you know what they say about bikes...:dancefool::banana::banana:

The surgery went fantastically well. All the cancer was removed and I am almost fully recovered...just the normal stuff associated with such a surgery of this kind...getting there rapidly, though.:thumbsup2:

I will be happy to discuss my situation with anyone having trouble making up their mind about whether they should undergo such an operation should cancer be discoverd.

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers...no doubt in my mind that your good wishes expedited my recovery. You are a great group of folks and I am happy and proud to be a part of such an organization as VentureRiders.

Jim,

Glad all turned out well!!!

I too avoid doctors:Im not listening to, but 8 years ago I was in for an upper respiritory infection when I asked the doctor, as I was leaving, "by the way doc,what do you think of this knot (next to my right nipple)?". I had noticed it several months before and didn't think much of it.

The doctor visit was on Thursday and the next Tuesday I was in surgery! BREAST CANCER!!! :yikes:

Well, the Lord was looking out for me :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:as he always had, as there was no connective tissue or lymph node involvement. Thankfully I did not need radiation or chemo, other than a 5 year treatment with tamoxifin.

So Guys WE CAN get breast cancer, so along with the "glove snap" proceedure, the PSA test and a colonoscopy, look for "lumps" TOO!!!

Walter

Jim, stay in close contact with your doctor and do whatever they recommend you to do.

My Dad is going through the same situation and he is doing much better after several treatments. Just remember, keep an eye on the side effects of all the medication your doctor prescribed to you. Because they interact with each other, this may give you a Low Blood Pressure condition and is not a good thing while you are riding your Venture.

Regards.

It is important to get checked regularly. In a routine blood test my Dr. noticed elevated PSA. He ordered more tests and I had prostate cancer. It turns out I had an extremely aggressive type and they told me I would be dead in 24 months without treatment. So far the treatments seem to have worked. I am well past the 24 months now.

I would have posted this earlier, but have had computer problems.:think::confused24:

My message is that last week I was finally able to ride again...between the operation and the surgery haven't ridden since late December. It was great to be back on the bike...I was afraid I would have forgotten how, but you know what they say about bikes...:dancefool::banana::banana:

The surgery went fantastically well. All the cancer was removed and I am almost fully recovered...just the normal stuff associated with such a surgery of this kind...getting there rapidly, though.:thumbsup2:

I will be happy to discuss my situation with anyone having trouble making up their mind about whether they should undergo such an operation should cancer be discoverd.

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers...no doubt in my mind that your good wishes expedited my recovery. You are a great group of folks and I am happy and proud to be a part of such an organization as VentureRiders.

Wow Im sorry I missed this thread Im glad they caught it in time. I need to add a few things for all you guys afraid of going to the doctor. I went to the doc when I was 40 with a hip problem. Had been putting it off for more than a year. My doctor also happened to be my dads doctor before he died, so he new some of the family history so he ordered a psa testand it came back high. Your lucky your doc only did 2 biopses mine did 12 LOL. (hip pain is a symtom of prostate cancer) My test came back postive but still contained to prostate so I also had mine removed. So if some one on your fathers side of family has had it you need to start getting checked way before you reach 50. Been cancer free 9 years now.\

So take the time and get the blood test.

John

It is important to get checked regularly. In a routine blood test my Dr. noticed elevated PSA. He ordered more tests and I had prostate cancer. It turns out I had an extremely aggressive type and they told me I would be dead in 24 months without treatment. So far the treatments seem to have worked. I am well past the 24 months now.

Wow! The doc really laid it on the line. I am very glad you are doing so well...probably don't need to recommend you continue the followup exams. My best to you.:thumbsup2: