IGNORED

Hard starting after 6 weeks

I put the bike in storage about 6 weeks ago. I went to the storage this weekend to check the battery tender and start her up... I had to crank it a lot to get her to start and then I had to let her warm up a lot before she would respond to the throttle without sputtering and dying. Normally I just touch the start and she fires up and roars to life without a problem.

any idea what is causing this? I dont want her to need major work in the spring. I did add stabil to the gas prior to storage and rode about 20 miles to get the fresh gas+stabil into the carbs.

You are in MI ?? The oil gets thick and that slows things down, might try giving it a little help with a shot of staring fluid. Once started warm bike up until fan comes on.

I was always told that starting fluid was hard on small gas engines, did I get the wrong info? Ive always used wd40 to start with as I was told it had more lubricating stuff in it and wouldnt hurt the engine.

Do the rest of you guys have any input on this?

Brian

I have an 87' VR and during the winter months if I let my bike sit for more than a week, it starts slow and must be warmed up for a while before it does well. I am not a big fan of starting fluid (except in diesel's). If the battery is good then I just chalk it up to cold weather. I must admit that I run a bit "ruff" my self, first thing in the morning on a cold winter day so it stands to reason that my 22 year old motorcycle would be the same way!:confused24:

Just My Thoughts,

Earl

I'm just worried because it feels like the carbs are gumming up. if you even touch the throttle it dies like the main jets are plugged. I have to let it idle at 2000 rpm until it let's very warm before it will idle. and even then it takes it another 15-20 minutes before it will allow me to give it any throttle without dying. Before the snow flew I was riding her in 35 degree weather and she did not start this bad. She started right up and after a 5 minute warm was ready for a ride... but after sitting only a short 6 weeks it feels like the carbs gummed up.

Should I add even more stabil? I added what they reccomended on the bottle.

If you did not do it, turn the ignition switch on and then flip the off button several times off and on. Each time you do it you will hear the fuel pump click several times. After doing this several times, the fuel pump will click only a time or two and your carbs are full of gas. This usually helps mine start and run better after it has been setting for a while.

RandyA

I never use any Sabil or similar product, but then I tend to ride once a month if possible and if not it''s only 2 months before I would ride anyways, but that' my situation and yours maybe different. I do try to fill my tank to the brim before a longer period of rest, but that doesn't always happen either.

In your case I would drain the carbs a couple of times, put in some Seafoam, change the plugs and I think most of your issues will go away. I change my plugs every spring, whether I think they need it or not and don't have any starting problems. When I didn't change them, I always had\have a problem until I do.

I change my plugs every spring, whether I think they need it or not and don't have any starting problems. When I didn't change them, I always had\have a problem until I do.

Good point on the plug change Carl. Ventures seem to be real particular about having good clean plugs in them. I have used Autolites for years and you can get them at Advance Auto for less than $2 each. I have never had what I think was a plug related failure with them. I have fouled a plug, but it was not the plugs fault.

RandyA

If you did not do it, turn the ignition switch on and then flip the off button several times off and on. Each time you do it you will hear the fuel pump click several times. After doing this several times, the fuel pump will click only a time or two and your carbs are full of gas. This usually helps mine start and run better after it has been setting for a while.

RandyA

I was told the same thing by the owner of a Yamaha Dealership who has been in town for the past 40+ years.

Iowa Guy