IGNORED

Passenger floor board replacement ??

Anyone know of a decent cover for the back of the somewhat polished aluminum passenger floor board. It looks so dull, ecspecially after the chrome backing plate I installed and the chrome stick ons on the side covers. The new OEM chrome passenger floor boards are $230.00, I really do not want to spend that much money:mo money:. Maybe there is a chrome cover for the underside of the floor board that wouldn't be so pricey. Does anyone own a cover that could give some info, and if so please give pics? Thanks for any and all help or info.

James :feedback:

Wrap it in foil. Oh. No. There isn't much option here. You can buy the chrome ones, or chrome the stock ones, or polish the stock ones. Aluminum can be buffed out to look pretty decent.

Thanks pegscraper, good idea. Wonder if anyone has done that and had good results? But I really thought that this thread would turn up some company making a cover reasonabley priced for the back of these ugly floor boards. If I thought that my wife would never ever ride with me someday, I would take them off for good. Thanks everyone for your imput so far.

Chrome the stock ones may be a good option. I wonder how much it would cost:confused24:

Ya, not a bad idea. I have a good friend in Ohio who might be able to help with that. I will call him now and find out.

**Update; just got off the phone and he said that the places that done the chrome where gone out or moved. He did say that this was very exspensive. Still a good idea maybe, worth some more investigating.

Edited by FuzzyRSTD
update

The stock passenger floor boards are rather ugly and the chrome ones from Star are as pricey as the stock ones are ugly. I do not have good photos available as it is all covered for the winter, but I shall try to describe. First I have a 2006 midnight. I took the back of the passenger boards and put gloss black paint then clear coated them. This minimizes the part of the rubber that sticks through. Then to add a bit of glitz I took a couple of oval star medalions and added one to each one in the center. The rubber nubs that stick through I covered with the little chrome buttons also from star.

This could be done to match any color and it sure does save the bulk of that $230 for the gas tank....Good luck and enjoy.

If you get a polishing kit from a some place specializing in metal, Aluminium can be polished to look better than chrome. You can do this to those crappy looking yellowy covers on the motor sides too. The yellowing is the coating put on the metal in the factory it was made in, to protect it.... paint stripper type stuff on those and buff till the part looks as buff as you do...... it will look better than it did new..... Polished Aluminium is fantastic.... if you don't want to keep polishing it.... find a clear coating such as Flecto or Tremclad.... wash the part off with campstove fuel to make it clean..... no fingers to touch it after it has been cleaned.... it will look great for a few years.

:080402gudl_prv:

The stock passenger floor boards are rather ugly and the chrome ones from Star are as pricey as the stock ones are ugly. I do not have good photos available as it is all covered for the winter, but I shall try to describe. First I have a 2006 midnight. I took the back of the passenger boards and put gloss black paint then clear coated them. This minimizes the part of the rubber that sticks through. Then to add a bit of glitz I took a couple of oval star medalions and added one to each one in the center. The rubber nubs that stick through I covered with the little chrome buttons also from star.

This could be done to match any color and it sure does save the bulk of that $230 for the gas tank....Good luck and enjoy.

Thanks Pappy, that is a great idea. I used a couple of those star medalions to dress up my mudflaps that a good friend of mine hand made for me. They look factory. Thanks again.

• 1 month later...

Man your shopping in the wrong store. Yamaha parts are totally outrageous so you have to save every penny you can. South Seattle has the best prices on Yamaha parts and the best shipping prices on anyone I know. They may be $230 at your Yamaha store but I just checked South Seattle and the price is $173.21! Now that is still a lot of money but it is a lot better than $230. The part number is STR-4WM57-30-01 and heres the link;

http://www.yamahasportsplaza.com

They offer replacement parts at 30% off.:sign outstanding:

As Starman09 pointed out

http://www.rickroushaccessories.com/...oducts_id/4744

Is cheaper but boy they will rob you blind on shipping. I was going to place an order with them and they wanted $60 shipping. I ordered the same thing for South Seattle and the shipping was $19 and change. The total on the orders were within a few dollars of each other and the same parts were on each list. It pays to shop around. Also I could not find a phone number for the Rick Roush store. I did find a number to a Rick Roush store but it was not to the accessory store.

Anyone know of a decent cover for the back of the somewhat polished aluminum passenger floor board. It looks so dull, ecspecially after the chrome backing plate I installed and the chrome stick ons on the side covers. The new OEM chrome passenger floor boards are $230.00, I really do not want to spend that much money:mo money:. Maybe there is a chrome cover for the underside of the floor board that wouldn't be so pricey. Does anyone own a cover that could give some info, and if so please give pics? Thanks for any and all help or info.

James :feedback:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?threadid=31088

Have a look at this thread, pretty good prices in my opinion.

Low Buck fix would be some rocker panel chrome stick on... I used some of this stuff to dress up my piggybacker trailer... Make sure to peel off the clear protective layer after install... Only pitfall would be trying to fold it around the cupped edges... might have to make some releif cuts to avoid creases...

6" WIDE PER FOOT = $ 6.95 FT.

I paid $170.90 for mine at the site below....

Also got the Chrome Rider Chrome Covers

Paid $206.00 for them..

I have purchased a lot of Chrome from these folks...Easy to work with..

http://www.motorsportssupercenter.com/pages/catalogs/detail/26/198/398/20265/all/0/0/1/4/90/68/35534/billet-passenger-floorboards.aspx

George In Virginia

• 1 month later...

2nd Gen floor boards and battery covers sent into www.chromeplating.com on 18th of Feb. They arrived there on the 24th. When I spoke with them, they told me their business increases by about 400% this time of year so it would take a bit longer. I understood this well since most of us don't want to be w/o our scoots any later in the year so everybody's in rush mode. Update: Was just notified they were completed today on 2/25/09. So as it stands:

2-Passenger running boards chromed 35.00 each = 70.00

2-Battery covers chromed 45.00 each = 90.00

160.00 sub-total

16.00 shipping

176.00 total

Now keep in mind these prices are more then what most of you will pay due to the fact I'm playing the guinea pig and seeing what kind of job they do. When others send in more the cost drops considerably depending on the #'s. As I stated in a previous message , prices are as quoted by company.

1 set at a time: $35.00 ea piece x 2 = $70 F. Boards

10 -20 sets: $30 each x2 F. Boards

21-100 sets: $25.00 each x2 F. Boards

I'll be getting the prices for battery covers in quantity next time I speak with them. As for sending F. Boards in, what he said could be done is if our members wants them done, on the packaging were to note it's for Ventureriders. I would think if we got together messaging and set a deadline for having them in (say over a month's time) then we could maximize the savings. He also stated once we have a date set for all to be in, he would put a rush on them since their all the same thing pretty much.

So in retrospect on savings, I think even though my cost were higher, my savings is still in the 120-150 $ range from buying new. Might not have the pretty name on it but if I'm seeing names, I'm not riding. Soon as I get them and installed pictures will follow. Also will give my own personal feelings about job completed. Can't wait :banana::322::fingers-crossed-emo God Bless. Mike

2nd Gen floor boards and battery covers sent into www.chromeplating.com on 18th of Feb. They arrived there on the 24th. When I spoke with them, they told me their business increases by about 400% this time of year so it would take a bit longer. I understood this well since most of us don't want to be w/o our scoots any later in the year so everybody's in rush mode. Update: Was just notified they were completed today on 2/25/09. So as it stands:

2-Passenger running boards chromed 35.00 each = 70.00

2-Battery covers chromed 45.00 each = 90.00

160.00 sub-total

16.00 shipping

176.00 total

Now keep in mind these prices are more then what most of you will pay due to the fact I'm playing the guinea pig and seeing what kind of job they do. When others send in more the cost drops considerably depending on the #'s. As I stated in a previous message , prices are as quoted by company.

1 set at a time: $35.00 ea piece x 2 = $70 F. Boards

10 -20 sets: $30 each x2 F. Boards

21-100 sets: $25.00 each x2 F. Boards

I'll be getting the prices for battery covers in quantity next time I speak with them. As for sending F. Boards in, what he said could be done is if our members wants them done, on the packaging were to note it's for Ventureriders. I would think if we got together messaging and set a deadline for having them in (say over a month's time) then we could maximize the savings. He also stated once we have a date set for all to be in, he would put a rush on them since their all the same thing pretty much.

So in retrospect on savings, I think even though my cost were higher, my savings is still in the 120-150 $ range from buying new. Might not have the pretty name on it but if I'm seeing names, I'm not riding. Soon as I get them and installed pictures will follow. Also will give my own personal feelings about job completed. Can't wait :banana::322::fingers-crossed-emo God Bless. Mike

Did you have to remove the rubber from the Floor boards or did they?

If you get a polishing kit from a some place specializing in metal, Aluminium can be polished to look better than chrome. You can do this to those crappy looking yellowy covers on the motor sides too. The yellowing is the coating put on the metal in the factory it was made in, to protect it.... paint stripper type stuff on those and buff till the part looks as buff as you do...... it will look better than it did new..... Polished Aluminium is fantastic.... if you don't want to keep polishing it.... find a clear coating such as Flecto or Tremclad.... wash the part off with campstove fuel to make it clean..... no fingers to touch it after it has been cleaned.... it will look great for a few years.

:080402gudl_prv:

Do you have a photo of your aluminum floorboards looking better than chrome? My scout troop polished a display aircraft once for the Air Guard base, and it gleemed brightly for years. But that was a heck of a lot of work.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got pictures for chrome floorboards. Saved a lot of money sending them in as opposed to buying new ones. One thing you'll want to remember is to take the pins out of the boards prior to sending them in. If anybody has any questions feel free to email me mikealiasmike@hotmail.com Have fun and remember chrome is'nt just for pretty it's a safety issue and if your spouse won't let ya have more, they just don't love you... God bless. Mike

:witch_brew: MIKEY, MIKEY, YOU JUST THINK I UNDERSTAND ABOUT THE SAFETY CHROME, HAHAHAHA, I JUST BUY THE BS TO PASSIFY YOU. IS IT WORKING? THE ONLY PART YOU GOT RIGHT IS I AM THE POWERS THAT BE. :rotfl: AND TO RESPOND TO YOUR OTHER COMMENT, I DO LOVE YOU. :bighug: