IGNORED

could it be cabin fever.

Snarley Bill

i'm not a moderator here but just wanted to say my piece. seems like alot of the threads on here start on a mild politcal theme, or some how turn into one. now we all know everyone has their own opinion and no one is going to give an inch. it is impossible to have a politcal discussion with out it going to the dogs, and eventully getting deleted with some hard feelings left along the way. this group is to good to fall apart over politics. there are people on here i don't agree with but i still respect their opinion and i hope they respect mine. what i'm trying to say is why don't we keep our political opinions on the economy, unions, and politics to ourself and get back to motorcycles, and other clean, neat topics. i have jumped on some people that i don't agree with out of temper and i am sorry i did cuz it really bothers me. we are all friends on here, and i sure would like it to stay that way, there was one really bad post and i don't really remember who it was but he had his opinion and it got deleted. still he is one of us and thats what it's all about. if i am out of line here to bad, but i do hope everyone agrees. snarley bill :2133:

i'm not a moderator here but just wanted to say my piece. seems like alot of the threads on here start on a mild politcal theme, or some how turn into one. now we all know everyone has their own opinion and no one is going to give an inch. it is impossible to have a politcal discussion with out it going to the dogs, and eventully getting deleted with some hard feelings left along the way. this group is to good to fall apart over politics. there are people on here i don't agree with but i still respect their opinion and i hope they respect mine. what i'm trying to say is why don't we keep our political opinions on the economy, unions, and politics to ourself and get back to motorcycles, and other clean, neat topics. i have jumped on some people that i don't agree with out of temper and i am sorry i did cuz it really bothers me. we are all friends on here, and i sure would like it to stay that way, there was one really bad post and i don't really remember who it was but he had his opinion and it got deleted. still he is one of us and thats what it's all about. if i am out of line here to bad, but i do hope everyone agrees. snarley bill :2133:

i agree with you , Bill.

if you have noticed, i didn't post to ANY of the UNION threads, because i know NOTHING about the workings of a union.

ECONOMY: all of that will be sorted out to suit politicians, and we have NO say in the outcome, anyhow.

just jt

I agree Bill. I never put my 2 cents in when things start to go sour. The problem is the board has turned into a 'Family' board, not just a MC board. And when events happen that effect us all, there's going to be discussion on the subject. Eventually opinions...everybody has one.... are going to be expressed, and 'Thar' She Goes'!!!.... I just bite my lip, and read the tech forums.... :)

Edited by Condor

There was a thread a while back asking why there were folks who just lurked and looked instead of siging on and joining in. Well, there ya' go. I find that if I don't bother to sign in, I am not tempted to put in my 2 cents. Times are tough and sometimes it doesn't take much for a thread to go south.

You bring up a good point Bill, and one that the Moderators deal with everyday. The economy is going to hell in a handbasket and folks are at wits end when it comes to finances. It can be a very tricky job moderating posts, we try not to be heavy handed, but there are times when it is inevitable.

You'll also notice that we dont usually offer our own personal feeling on threads too often. Lead by example for me and I'm fairly confident in saying for all the moderators. I have said this many times before, and I'm sure this wont be the last. If ANYONE comes onto this forum in a bad or ticked off mood, reconsider posting anything. I believe for the most part folks dont try to stir the post, yes there are a few exceptions. But a hard day at work and kids going crazy and tightening finances can make for a bad recipie. I can't tell you how many times I have logged off and walked away from the site so not to go on a rant. Trust me when I say that there are many times I have wanted to jump feet first into something that someone had posted.

It seems that PMS for the northerners is coming in fast, I hope this isn't an indication of things to come....but I fear that it is. I agree that we try very hard to keep this site PG rated and free of Politics and such issues. There are thousands of websites that you can visit to argue with people about everything under the sun....98 cents less than a buck

:2cents:

Snarley You are absolutely right. I feel I may one of the offenders and for that I apologize. I guess at time when trying to educate its can easily turn into preaching. I hate being preached at so i have no right to do the same. If i have offended I apologize and promise to do my part to keep this sight a place i will always want to come back to. I've made too many friends here to want to screw that up.

I'm not willing to stir a Pot, but i'm very sad that there seems no Way to discuss different Points of View and Economy/Politics in a polite Discussion and without getting into emotional/personal too deep.

I like to discuss Things with the People i 'know' and i for one i don't disrespect them for having another Opinion than i have. We are all coming from different personal Backgrounds and for sure we have gathered a Lot of different Experiences in our Lives.

The Fact that those Discussions go South almost every Time and are gone in the End is a Loss in my Book. A big Loss.

I'm not willing to stir a Pot, but i'm very sad that there seems no Way to discuss different Points of View and Economy/Politics in a polite Discussion and without getting into emotional/personal too deep.

I like to discuss Things with the People i 'know' and i for one i don't disrespect them for having another Opinion than i have. We are all coming from different personal Backgrounds and for sure we have gathered a Lot of different Experiences in our Lives.

The Fact that those Discussions go South almost every Time and are gone in the End is a Loss in my Book. A big Loss.

LUTZ!

you sound like a man who is 6 feet 6 inches tall with a 40 inch waist size.

i do have to agree with you , too.

i don't like "cussin and discussin" topics with complete strangers either, but then again, we are a motorcycle group!

just jt:thumbsup2:

I belong to a few other MC sites, and one of them has a section for personal blogs, the rules are simple, you can pretty much say what you want, (Still within a PG based guideline) and no one is allowed to post into your blog in any way that attacts the owner of the blog or her/his opinion.

PM's are another great way to discuss without hitting the boards with heated opinions. And although I have never been a fan of chat rooms, there is one here that can be used and I'm sure there is a way to make private rooms for "Frank" discussions. If not, there's bound to be some sort of software available to facilitate such a discussion.

Not having the bashing here, that goes on in other forms is just another reason I make Venturerider.org one of my cyber homes. Thanks to the moderators for keeping such a clean house and to all the members for trying their best to keep it this way also...

Doug

:wow::wow::wow::wow::wow:

You have hit on a very good point Lutz, but there is a problem. In the USA there are several different "countries" that make up the borders of this nation. The south is very different from the west and different still from the north east, our election this month shows how VERY different this country is, and divided.

There are many folks here that have never been to a function, whether it be a meet and eats or rally. I learn a lot of folks from functions, it helps me to moderate this site better when I know part of someones personality. It takes some folks a while to open up to, actually, strangers, which is what we all are until we meet one another face to face. The internet is a lousy means to discuss things, but I can have a political conversation face to face. It takes all the guess work out of how a question is being responded to. There is also a feeling on anonimity on a computer screen.

I wish it was different, but there are some here that all they like to do is stir the pot and make folks fight, this is why we are quick to eliminate threads that go bad.

I will say this right out here, now, I liked this site when it was small. That is not saying in any way that I dont like it now, but we had a lot more fun when there weren't 6000 of us. That is just a number, but it seems that we are so much more politically correct now a days. We used to rag the hell out of eachother and laugh all together, I dont see as much of that now. There are some that keep that spirit up, I try to, but I would love to see more people start M&E's in their areas. Put face time with eachother as it helps this group grow closer. There is no easy answers to any of it, most of us are like chickens with our heads cut off. I still love this place, I'm here everyday at some point. By keeping it drama free in some respects helps keep it that way.

I'm off my soapbox

:soapbox: sorry about the rambling on :whistling:

I remember the thread where somebody was bad mouthing unions. It seems like a lot of people look for oppurtunties to badmouth Harley. A lot of people who have never owned a Harley. I wish that everybody would just think before they post that with 6000 members that there is a good chance that they are going to offend somebody. There was a Harley guy that left a while back because he got tired of it. When I had a Harley and was on a Harley site it bothered me when somebody would say something about jap crap since I owned one of each. The only reason I got rid of mine was money. I could sell it for what I paid for it.

i think everyone has made a good point. when the bashing gets beyond the joking point feelings are damaged, and tempers flare. the harley thing will go on forever as will the 1rst, 2nd gen thing. most of the time it is meant in a fun sort of way. but sooner or later someone say's the wrong thing and tempers flare. i'm guilty as charged. we have some top of the line moderators. i have met almost all of them personally and they do an excellent job. even goose. if he was'nt so damn tall i'd whip his butt. love ya goose. and then there is eck, one of my very favorite people. then theres black owl black owl, and squidely both great guys that i respect to the utmost. don did well picking all of them. just thought i would start this thread to ease some of the tension. hope it works. the good news is gas was $1.589 today at quik trip. now that made my day. that should kick the economy in the butt. thanks all for putting up with my rant. bill :)

I think that writing style can become a problem too. I've been doing a lot of writing on the Venture Wikis which has lead to a somewhat stiffer writing style. I am concerned that this can be misinterpreted to mean anger or huffiness. That is not the case at all. The absolute last thing I want to do is offend any of my brothers on this site. In fact, when I feel grouchy and want to p*** people off I go to Topix (message board) and do it there.

The point being that if I've offended anyone it certainly hasn't been intentional.

I remember the thread where somebody was bad mouthing unions. It seems like a lot of people look for oppurtunties to badmouth Harley. A lot of people who have never owned a Harley. I wish that everybody would just think before they post that with 6000 members that there is a good chance that they are going to offend somebody. There was a Harley guy that left a while back because he got tired of it. When I had a Harley and was on a Harley site it bothered me when somebody would say something about jap crap since I owned one of each. The only reason I got rid of mine was money. I could sell it for what I paid for it.

The bad / good thing is you, I , we, are all different. Some like this, some like that. It is getting WAY to easy to "offend" someone / anyone with out even trying. Some like Harley's some like Honda's some like Yamaha's, some like it hot some like it cold, some like sun, some like snow, and so on and so forth. If any of US are offended WE do have the right and the ability and the intelligence to change the channel, flip to another thread, walk away...... The list goes on.

You, nor I, nor any of us, can go through life let alone this site or any other, with out "offending" someone, some how, some where.

That is what makes US all important and unique. If WE were all the same and thought the same WE would not need to have posts as WE would all think a like......

At any given time, you will not be able to do or talk about ANYTHING with out "offending" someone. I would say I'm sorry about the person upset about the Harley bashing. But it was probably by someone who deep down wants a Harley and can't afford it. Or as a "JOKE" just like I see the 1st and 2nd generation guys go at it. (Crap, I probably just offended any lady that rides by using the word guys.) See how easy it is?

And I am sure I have just "offended" someone by my OVER use of commas and capital letters.

Just my:2cents: Try to have a great day! And don't sweat over the petty stuff!

The bad / good thing is you, I , we, are all different. Some like this, some like that. It is getting WAY to easy to "offend" someone / anyone with out even trying. Some like Harley's some like Honda's some like Yamaha's, some like it hot some like it cold, some like sun, some like snow, and so on and so forth. If any of US are offended WE do have the right and the ability and the intelligence to change the channel, flip to another thread, walk away...... The list goes on.

You, nor I, nor any of us, can go through life let alone this site or any other, with out "offending" someone, some how, some where.

That is what makes US all important and unique. If WE were all the same and thought the same WE would not need to have posts as WE would all think a like......

At any given time, you will not be able to do or talk about ANYTHING with out "offending" someone. I would say I'm sorry about the person upset about the Harley bashing. But it was probably by someone who deep down wants a Harley and can't afford it. Or as a "JOKE" just like I see the 1st and 2nd generation guys go at it. (Crap, I probably just offended any lady that rides by using the word guys.) See how easy it is?

And I am sure I have just "offended" someone by my OVER use of commas and capital letters.

Just my:2cents: Try to have a great day! And don't sweat over the petty stuff!

good post, i never used caps cuz i'm to lazy but i love commas. and i ain't going to change. :rasberry: snarley bill

I guess when its all said and done we should be able to express opinions or share information without being offended ,especailly if we are sharing real varifiable information. I love coming to sites like this to learn from others. We are a multi national culture and in many ways its our strength as a country. I like the more homey nature of some of the southern members always welcoming and treating you like long lost family. I also like our Canadian members that almost always have a cool head about things . I've heard horror stories about other sites and I hope we never go there.

Maybe this is just a symptom of something else and we here are merely witnessing how its affecting our little group which is nothing more than a microcosium of our county(s) as a whole.

I hope we don't lose the ability to talk to each other with civility and respect.Its what we should always be doing with each other. Its what makes communitcating and discussion so exciting and a learning process.

I guess when its all said and done we should be able to express opinions or share information without being offended .

:happy65::clap2::thumbsup2:

I also like our Canadian members that almost always have a cool head about things.

:crackup::2143: oh yeah baby, our posts are never deleted......oh wait, I've heard of some really left wing, commie luvin, global warmin tree huggin, union working, flower power thinking Canucks who have had their posts deleted. Hey, come to think of it...their posts are deleted by gun luvin, war veterin, republican yankie moderators!!! Go figure...:rasberry:

(This is the most fun off two wheels.)(Now, just relax and take a powder...go back up to PJ's first line of this post and read it again.)

I can honestly say I've never been offended by what anyone has written. Can others say that about me? hmmm, I won't hazard to guess...LOL. If they DO get offended though I will admit to wondering about their thought processes. I simply chock it up to where they've come from or what they've been through in life. It IS something to ponder...why is it that some people are so easily offended to the point of getting so P-O'd? Is it a black and white only view of life; is it an I'm-the-only-one-who-is-right attitude? Is it a narrow world view? Is it lack of education? Too much education? What?

Here's an idea for some winter time fun...all those members who have had posts deleted could be assigned "Moderator for the Day" of venturerider.org. They can choose the day.....in the same way some small towns do police chief for the day, or fire chief for the day to some school kid who won a poster contest. Now THAT would be fun!

:dancefool:

The fussing between the first and second generation owners does seem to be in fun and almost between family but the Harley stuff gets mean. They provide quite a few good paying American jobs. Just because the stock price is down right now doesn't mean the company is about to fold.

the 1st and 2nd gen jokes are fun , and so are the harleys jokes , there is a lot of HD riders on this site and i hope they will allways be apart of this family and there is a lot of us that used to ride HDs and know a lot about them , i think there is a lot more info about what is going on about harleys on this site than on most HD web sites but there is a 100 years of harley jokes and compared to any other bike , that is a lot of jokes . if i poke fun at a susy or a kawa or most other bikes , not many riders will get the joke but if i poke fun at a HD most of us will get it and enjoy it , like my fav. susy gag , a susy is the the only bike i know that you have to pull the the gas tank and burp the rad.:detective: if you don't know about susys you have no idea what i am talking about but if i said that HDs marks there spot most of us would get it . if the HD stock gets down to 10. a share it will not stay low for very long because there is a lot of us who believe in HD will be buying the stock , even us who tell the meanest harley jokes .

a hardley rider came up to me and ask me why i don,t ride a harley , i said - because i have :rasberry:

Thom

i think everyone has made a good point. when the bashing gets beyond the joking point feelings are damaged, and tempers flare. the harley thing will go on forever as will the 1rst, 2nd gen thing. most of the time it is meant in a fun sort of way. but sooner or later someone say's the wrong thing and tempers flare. i'm guilty as charged. we have some top of the line moderators. i have met almost all of them personally and they do an excellent job. even goose. if he was'nt so damn tall i'd whip his butt. love ya goose. and then there is eck, one of my very favorite people. then theres black owl black owl, and squidely both great guys that i respect to the utmost. don did well picking all of them. just thought i would start this thread to ease some of the tension. hope it works. the good news is gas was $1.589 today at quik trip. now that made my day. that should kick the economy in the butt. thanks all for putting up with my rant. bill :)
Dang bill I'm glad I'm 6.5 I hope you don't woop my butt. I am regularly guilty of stiring the pot I try not to make personal attacks on others but I can only bite my toung so much before I shoot my fingers off. I have strong opinions that I should keep to myself. My apologys to all I have offended.

Now as far as this 1.58 gas goes thats very bad news. now the oil companys will be needing a bail out soon.:stirthepot::rotf::rotf: