IGNORED

foot pegs on a venture

Get rid of the heel/toe shifter and you will love the floorboards...

I came from pegs 15years ago, then got back into biking with a 99 Vulcan Classic with Floorboards and the heel/toe shifter.

I embraced both rather quickly. The floorboard vs. peg thing was a large factor in me choosing the Venture over the Goldwing when I bought mine new last June. I couldn't believe that they would put pegs on a 18k bike! I guess I always thought of pegs as a downgrade.

I guess I learned something new, there ARE people that prefer pegs.

craigr

My new scoot is the first one I've ever had with either floorboards or heel-toe shifter. Took a bit getting used to them...still haven't fully trained my right brain where the heel shift is but it's getting there LOL. Gotta say...I do like both and the position of my legs/feet are far more comfortable.

I can't imagine having pegs on my Venture. I guess there are those riders who own a bike with pegs and are begging to have floorboards for comfort and control and vise versa. Somebody mentioned about the Goldwing with pegs...I thought of the same thing as well. Perhaps it all comes down to which ones are you most used to having...but the long haul ride may dictate who wins between pegs and floorboards.

Sorry, Can't help with that. Personally I would NEVER EVER, NOT EVER own a touring bike without both floorboards AND heel/toe shifter. But that is just my preference. You get to do what you want to your own bike!

Goose

I'm with Goose. That's one of the things I like better on my RSV over the GW.

My new scoot is the first one I've ever had with either floorboards or heel-toe shifter. Took a bit getting used to them...still haven't fully trained my right brain where the heel shift is but it's getting there LOL. Gotta say...I do like both and the position of my legs/feet are far more comfortable.

Like SilvrT, this is my first with floorboards and heel shifter but I had no trouble getting used to them. When I go into 1st I just slide my boot back till the heel hits the shifter, no problem.

The only pegs I like now are highway pegs, just for a change of position.

Ian :thumbsup2:

Like SilvrT, this is my first with floorboards and heel shifter but I had no trouble getting used to them. When I go into 1st I just slide my boot back till the heel hits the shifter, no problem.

The only pegs I like now are highway pegs, just for a change of position.

Ian :thumbsup2:

took me a second or so to get the jist of what you meant LOL ... so just to confirm, you're positioning your heel in preparation for the upshift in such a way that your brain knows that your shifter is right behind your heel.... heh .. good plan .... only one problem .... my heel is usually on the ground with the rest of my foot .... then when I take off, I place my feet on the floorboards and then I sometimes have to "hunt around" with my heel to find the shifter... haha... guess it's like finding your nose with your index finger when your eyes are closed... sometimes you get it right on, other times you're a little off... the more you do it , the more consistently accurate you are.

:rotf:

took me a second or so to get the jist of what you meant LOL ... so just to confirm, you're positioning your heel in preparation for the upshift in such a way that your brain knows that your shifter is right behind your heel.... heh .. good plan .... only one problem .... my heel is usually on the ground with the rest of my foot .... then when I take off, I place my feet on the floorboards and then I sometimes have to "hunt around" with my heel to find the shifter... haha... guess it's like finding your nose with your index finger when your eyes are closed... sometimes you get it right on, other times you're a little off... the more you do it , the more consistently accurate you are.

:rotf:

Sorry if I confused, once your foot is back on the board slide the boot, running shoe or flip flop... :crackup:... back, then there it is.

Ian :big-grin-emoticon:

now that all of you floorboard lovers have commented,and i appreciated them,I still hate those @#$%^&*()_+ floorboards,

that being said,now how about some replies as to where I can get some @#$%$#^%&( pegs:thumbsup2:

I'm with you Gramps.... I had boards on the '91 and hated them. Went back to pegs and I'm a happy camper. Floor boards are great for short riders, but for those of us that are horizontally challenged with big feet, the foot wants to point down when the knee is tucked into the fairing and the foot is back on first gens. I've sat on 2ndGens and when I put my foot flat on the board my knee is in my chest. Not comfortable. Pegs, both back and highway, are the only thing that makes long distence riding possible. I can't understand why anyone would feel comfortable with their feet setting flat when the natural position is to be pointed down slightly. SO THERE>>>>TAKE THAT!!

I think you're pretty well on your own, as far as mounting pegs on an RSV. No one has ever wanted to do it. But anything can be done. Are you good at fabricating things? You could make some plates from 1/4" steel to mount in place of the floorboard brackets. Then you could mount some pegs anywhere on the plates you wish. Kuryakyn makes some very nice looking pegs. You'll need to figure some way to mount the shift lever and the rear brake pedal on these plates also. Sounds like a good winter project.

I also hate the toe/heel shifter. I cut the heel off of mine. It was nothing but in my way. I have a lot more foot room without it. But I still have the floorboards.

I'm with you Gramps.... I had boards on the '91 and hated them. Went back to pegs and I'm a happy camper. Floor boards are great for short riders, but for those of us that are horizontally challenged with big feet, the foot wants to point down when the knee is tucked into the fairing and the foot is back on first gens. I've sat on 2ndGens and when I put my foot flat on the board my knee is in my chest. Not comfortable. Pegs, both back and highway, are the only thing that makes long distence riding possible. I can't understand why anyone would feel comfortable with their feet setting flat when the natural position is to be pointed down slightly. SO THERE>>>>TAKE THAT!!

heh... if we were all 7' 3" we'd probably have the same feelings!

:rasberry:

fyi, I prefer it when my feet are pointing UPwards! oh, but that's not related to motorcycles..... (but it could be!) so there!

:witch_brew:

I was thinking exactly the same thing. Wow Condor if you're that tall you'd need the highway pegs on the front forks :stirthepot:

Ian

Ain't that tall, but I still have a set of highways as far forward as I can get them in front of the guards... and I have been known to rest the back of my calf on the pegs to stretch out while slabbin' it.... :) :7_6_2[1]:

:witch_brew:

Sorry, just 'cause he can't understand it doesn't make him right! I'm 6'5" with size 13 boots. When I sit in a chair my feet sit flat on the floor quite comfortably, and I want them in the same position on the bike. When I do 1,400 mile days on the RSV my feet and legs are never uncomfortable at the end.

Goose

Sorry, just 'cause he can't understand it doesn't make him right! I'm 6'5" with size 13 boots. When I sit in a chair my feet sit flat on the floor quite comfortably, and I want them in the same position on the bike. When I do 1,400 mile days on the RSV my feet and legs are never uncomfortable at the end.

Goose

Try sitting on a 1stGen with floorboards and tell me all about your 1400 mile day... On a 2ndGen you either you have your knees in your chest, or you've got really short legs........... :)

That said, if anyone is interested in a nice set of VentureLine floorboards with heel'n'toe give me a shout. I was planing on listing them on Ebay next spring.:mo money:

I hate the boards too, my solution was to mount a set of pegs just ahead of the floorboards on the crash bars, its cheap and gives a good riding position.

I ride alot with my toes on the pegs and heels on the boards, gives me the feeling of control.

ride on

Gregg

I too, like the boards. I'm 6'3" with long legs and a size 14 boot. I wish I had a little more legroom - knees are bent more than I like in normal riding position. Highway pegs help a lot! I may see about stuffing a little more padding in the seat to give me a little more room. No trouble flat-footing the Venture with a couple of inches to spare.

I tried a Goldwing and came to the conclusion that the pegs (on that bike) would never work for me. Don't know how well the aftermarket boards would work on the GW because the rider position is totally different - closer to a sport bike than a cruiser.

I like the heel shifter but with my pontoon-size feet, it is a little bit cramped. I would rather deal with the "less room" than deal with toe shift only.

I realize that we are well off-topic here! Can't help you with the pegs for the Venture but I certainly understand that there are many different preferences out there. I'm not sure that pegs would work well on the Venture because of the foot-forward rider position.

Ross