I run 40 psi in the rear, o psi in the front. This seems to improve handling. one third of my time is two up, and it does make a difference. I haven't checked mine in 6 months, so I don't know about the shock losing air pressure.

:motorcycle:

Not tryin to hijack this thread but I'm still not convinced that using a compressor to put air in the rear shock is not a good idea. If the regulator is set to, let's say 35psi, then how could a person blow the shock seals? Conversely, if the front shocks only take 5psi and the regulator is set to that, would that not also be safe?

Now, I can see it if there is no regulator because one little hit with the air from a line pushing 100psi could pump the shock far beyond those limits in a split second...

Comments?????

I pretty much agree with you. BUT....buy the progressive hand pump anyway. There have been many times when I've had the need to adjust and/or check the pressure in my shocks while on a trip. Unless you plan to tow your air compressor around, you will find the money for the hand pump to be well spent.

I pretty much agree with you. BUT....buy the progressive hand pump anyway. There have been many times when I've had the need to adjust and/or check the pressure in my shocks while on a trip. Unless you plan to tow your air compressor around, you will find the money for the hand pump to be well spent.

yes, that's a good point and I'll be getting one today as I can see the value in having it. Now, regarding towing the air compressor... maybe I can rig it up so it's also a cargo trailer..... :rotf:

When I took delivery of my bike last month, my shocks had 0 psi on them. The ride experience was nice and I did not have any complaints. Last week, I put in 25 psi on my rear shock and left my front psi at 0. When it is time to ride 2 up, I may pump up my rear up to 40 psi.

I use a bicycle hand pump for my rear shock and it can be used for the front as well. When the weather is nice, I plan to take a ride to my local Yamaha dealer and get myself a low pressure gauge. Next month, I plan to put 1 to 2 psi on the front forks for experiment.

Not tryin to hijack this thread but I'm still not convinced that using a compressor to put air in the rear shock is not a good idea. If the regulator is set to, let's say 35psi, then how could a person blow the shock seals? Conversely, if the front shocks only take 5psi and the regulator is set to that, would that not also be safe?

Now, I can see it if there is no regulator because one little hit with the air from a line pushing 100psi could pump the shock far beyond those limits in a split second...

Comments?????

You are correct for safety of the shock. And your method will work acceptably for the rear since there is only one unit and the exact pressure is unimportant.

The front is a different matter. First, the regulator on an air compressor is NOT a precision gauge. I seriously doubt that you can accurately set it for 5 lbs, so the possibility still exists you could blow seals. More importantly, however, is the total impossibility of ever getting the front shocks set equally using your method (assuming you have not added a balancing tube). When you combine the minuscule volume of air in each fork with the very low pressure, you can see that even a tiny pffft of air escaping when you remove the chuck or an air gauge will change the pressure in the fork. I did a lot of experimenting with both tires and suspension pressure when I first got my RSV, and I personally found a very significant degradation in handling if the front forks are not EXACTLY equal. Nothing dangerous, but more like the nasty wallow of a pre-2009 Harley instead of the precise handling of an RSV. The ONLY way you can accurately add or measure air in the forks is with a zero-loss chuck, and the only place I know to get one of these is on a Progressive air pump/gauge. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

You are correct for safety of the shock. And your method will work acceptably for the rear since there is only one unit and the exact pressure is unimportant.

The front is a different matter. First, the regulator on an air compressor is NOT a precision gauge. I seriously doubt that you can accurately set it for 5 lbs, so the possibility still exists you could blow seals. More importantly, however, is the total impossibility of ever getting the front shocks set equally using your method (assuming you have not added a balancing tube). When you combine the minuscule volume of air in each fork with the very low pressure, you can see that even a tiny pffft of air escaping when you remove the chuck or an air gauge will change the pressure in the fork. I did a lot of experimenting with both tires and suspension pressure when I first got my RSV, and I personally found a very significant degradation in handling if the front forks are not EXACTLY equal. Nothing dangerous, but more like the nasty wallow of a pre-2009 Harley instead of the precise handling of an RSV. The ONLY way you can accurately add or measure air in the forks is with a zero-loss chuck, and the only place I know to get one of these is on a Progressive air pump/gauge. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Thank you Goose for elaborating and I agree with respect to the front forks and the low pressure/balance issue. For the time being, I'm going to run it with zero pressure in the front and start with 35psi in the rear.

Stupid me for making an assumption that the PO and/or the dealer where he had the 1000km service done checked such things as air in the shocks and tires. I can understand not putting air in the shocks but I discovered that the tires were only at 20lbs psi! It's no wonder it felt a little "mushy" during my first ride. I should know better!

Thank you Goose for elaborating and I agree with respect to the front forks and the low pressure/balance issue. For the time being, I'm going to run it with zero pressure in the front and start with 35psi in the rear.

Stupid me for making an assumption that the PO and/or the dealer where he had the 1000km service done checked such things as air in the shocks and tires. I can understand not putting air in the shocks but I discovered that the tires were only at 20lbs psi! It's no wonder it felt a little "mushy" during my first ride. I should know better!

When I bought my 07 last year I had a friend ride it down from Michigan to Kansas. I told him to make certain that the forks were set to 0 before he took off on it. After I picked it up from him in Kansas I kept forgetting to check the forks until I was on the bike! But I wasn't really worried; even though I normally ride with 4 lbs in the forks, I knew that it was fine with 0, so I never made a point of stopping to check it. I just intended to remember at the next gas stop but never did.

This went on for a month, and I never felt quite "one" with that bike like I did with my 05. At this point, let me note that the reason I bought the 07 was because I had wrecked the 05 when it slid out on me in a corner with new tires before they were scuffed in. Busted my color bone real bad and kept me off the bike for over three months. This is important to the story because I just assumed that my lack of total comfort on the 07 in the twisties was due to leftover jitters from the crash.

Well, the wife and I rode up to the Smokies last December on the 07 (at that point I had STILL nor remembered to check the fork pressure). After spending a week on the roads around there and doing the Dragon, I was really getting concerned about why I still found it difficult to hold a completely smooth line is sweepers and enjoy spirited curves like I used to do. Then one morning I actually remembered to check the forks and found them NOT set to 0! So much for assuming my friend would do what I told him. :headache: I think one of them was at 7 lbs and the other down around 3 or 4. Instant explanation and fix to all the nasty handling I had been living with!

Is that so you don't have all your fun at one time. Kinda gives you something to look forward too?:thumbsup:

I have the means to put air in the front, but cannot measure the psi with such a low pressure. Wally Mart did not have the low pressure gauge...so looks like I'll have to go to a specialty parts store or to my nearest Yamaha dealership.

I have the means to put air in the front, but cannot measure the psi with such a low pressure. Wally Mart did not have the low pressure gauge...so looks like I'll have to go to a specialty parts store or to my nearest Yamaha dealership.

I was just messing with you. I have been borrowing my buddies opump. The front forks are senstive with the under 7 lbs. One little pump raises the pressure considerably.

I would agree a compressor would not be the way to go.

running 45/50 in the rear and 5 up front ,i check the pressures weekly. the back does lose a bit of air over a month, couple o 3 psi. HD dealers have them pumps usually on hand ,but the Yammie dealers here ,well some of them didnt even know their bikes had air shocks .

FWIW...

I have run about 4 lbs of pressure in the front shocks, it seems ok to me. The rear shock I run about 35 to 40 lbs solo (I'm about 300 lbs) and when were 2 up and loaded I run 55lbs. I dont like the bouncy feeling the bike gives with minimal pressure in the rear shock. It's really all about how you feel on the bike, you'll have to expiriment with different pressures as no one is quite the same.

I have one of the progressive hand pump in the trunk and wouldn't be without. As mentioned it's a must have in my my bike.

Evening all, I guess it’s a preference for the pressure in the shocks, running 3 in the front and 35 in the back. Wondering if anyone has had any bad experience with “Progressive Suspension, Air Fork Balance Kit”? Installed the mine halfway through the riding season and had no issues but just curious.

Many thanks to Freebirds’ tech page on the topic

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=497

:thumbsup: