IGNORED

Grandfather Clock

Condor

I like clocks. Not so much that I have walls covered with them, but I do appreciate nice ones. I've always wanted one of the Grandfather Clocks, but they were always way beyond my budget. Welll.... I played hooky from church and went to an estate auction last Sunday. I went to bid on some nautical Brass Lanterns for the biz., and they had a couple of rifles that I thought I'd take a run at. They also had this really good looking grandfather, but I figured it would go via the way of all the others, and sell for too much money. Long story short, I got the lanterns, a really nice hall mirror, passed on the rifles...they went for way more than they were worth, and the grandfather... :sign woo hoo: Ended up getting it for $175 bucks...:thumbsup2: and it works. Even the wife likes it, after I got up enough nerve to tell her about it... :) Attached is a pic. Curious if anyone else has a grandfather clock.??

I am having a bit of trouble finding any history on the clock. It's an Emperor, and they went out of business in the mid '90's. The last owner still has a few clocks available on the web at their Virginia outlet. Emperior made kits, and sold complete clocks. The problem is I can't find any reference to one built like this one with the moon phase, second hand, and the chimes being 9 tuned brass tubes. I don't think this one is a kit as it's too nicely finished, and the only time I find any other makers clocks like this one the dang prices are up in the $12,000 to $23,000 dollar range. I don't think this one is up in that catagory, but it does have all the buttons and whistles... :think:

Edited by Condor

Went to get something like that for the missusses birthday some years back, came home first and told her about it,, just to be sure,,, she thought about it and then picked a place to put it,,, I didn't agree,,, she was going to 'hide it',,,, so it was left put where the saleslady put it.

Heck, you stole everything - ya bum. Good looking clock. A former co-worker whom I am still in contact with, her husband owns a clock shop here in Livermore. E-mail me some information, and I will find out everything you ever wanted to know about that clock - and maybe more. Send me a good pic as well.

Guest tessa c2

hope you feel a tad bit guilty with that purchase, even tacking another zero at the end of that price isn't enough for it. here a few years ago i had an uncle who passed away, and he had my grandmothers kitchen clock, and that went up for sale on public auction, anyways that was the grand parents wedding present from there parents in 1896, my cousin got it, so it is still in the family, for quite a few years yet

In my 1st marriage we ended up buying a grandfather clock, looked almost identical to what you have there with the moon phases and all. It was made by Howard Miller out of Zeeland Michigan. Perhaps you could get ahold of them and see if they can steer you in the right directions with some of your questions?

It looks just like the one I have. I can tell you I paid a lot more than that though. I think the tubular chimes cost $1000 alone, $5000 total. Hope my kids don't let it go that cheap when it's time for my auction. I'll come back and haunt them.

Dad and I built and Emperor kit back, gosh, must have been late 80s early 90s. They're fixing to move to a smaller place and I'm gonna be the beneficiary of that clock. The face looks almost like that one but the weights and the pendulum are a little more extravagant than my parents is.

Very nice looking clock and you got a great buy!!

that looks great Jack! geez did you have to load in your truck in the dark to get that good a deal?

Brian

No, Thank God, they helped me load it in the PU, but when unloading it I had to grunt it into the house all by my lonesome. Dang thing was like a refridgerator.:backinmyday: