IGNORED

Front tire: 150 vs 130

1BigDog

Disclaimer: This is just my opinion. Yours may vary......

After running the 150 front for years last summer I finally went and tried the 130 front tire when I needed replacement. After a year of use all I can say is that I am not too happy with my decision. Sure, the steering is easier at low speeds but I also feel like im going to drop the bike in turns. Also I have no confidence at speeds over 85 with the 130. Bike just dont seem as stable at high speeds then it did with the 150. On the interstate I like to run up to 90 on occasion or higher. Im scared poopless now anywhere near that figure. Even my wife noticed my concerns. And shes usually asleep back there..LOL. Next replacement im going back to the 150.

I guess I can say I got to see this first hand..A friend has a Venture with the 130 Avon And I have the Avon 150 stock size..He wanted to ride mine tio see the difference..He ordered the 150 That same day..I chose not to ride his.The stock sizes especially in what I run,Avon, handle superb!

i noticed what you are talking about, when i first put mine on. i did not like the touchy steering at highway speeds. after i got used to it i didn't notice it anymore. most big bikes have a 130. the steering is nimble and more sport bike like. definate improvement at low speeds. the 150 makes for slower steering and feels more secure at speed. but if you want to push one the 130 is the cats meow. the 150 size is a common rear tire size on alot of big bikes. the ideal thing would be the same size tire on front and rear, but rear tires need more contact patch for alot of reasons other than good handling, so the rear is usually wider. i would go with what ever feels comfortable for you. one thing i don't understand is highspeeds not feeling secure. mine was dead stable over 100 mph with the 130 front. :2133:

I had the narrow tire on my RSTD. I put it on before I added the leveling links. Like Bill says I didn't really notice once I got used to it. Then again, I'm not a high speed rider. I'm perfectly happy to go 75mpg all day long.

I did switch back to the 150 when the 130 wore out. At the time I noticed the bike was a little less sensitive to inputs at higher speeds with the wider tire. Really didn't notice the difference at low speed. Probably because I have the leveling links, and two years more experience in the saddle. One thing I did like about the narrow tire was the higher load rating. I also ran it at a bit higher pressure, 45 psi. I run the wider tire at 41 PSI and it seems to be just fine. I'll probably stay with the wider tire.

I put the 130 on the front of my 07 after 250 miles I ordered a 150 and put back on.I thought it made the bike fill to lite on the interstate and I almost drooped the bike 2 times in the driveway I know a lot of people like the 130 I am just not one of them.

:Venture:

I have had both and really no problem with either. Since I put the Flander bar on, no more issues at slow speed with the wider tire. I have had my bike up to 110 with the 130 and no issues and I like the feel of just touching the bars and dropping into a curve, so much easier with the 130.

:)

The 130 is good if your inseam challenged as you wont have to raise the bike at all. I had one on my 2nd '99 and I didn't like how it handled at highway speeds. I went back to the 150 and installed level links and all was well with the world again

:thumbsup2:

My only experience is 7000 miles on the stock Dunlops and 6000 on Avons with a narrow front. I got used to the light feel and really like that the bike really likes to turn. The bike feels alive. The roll rate is much faster without having to muscle the handle bars so much. I did notice the front will slip easier when pulling a U turn on gravel. I may try the stock size in an Avon next time just for a good comparison.

Jerry

My 06 has a 130 Avon on the front. Since I went to this from a 120 on a 1st gen I have no experience with a 150. My bike is stock, no leveling links or lowering kit or anything.

The 2nd gen feels a lot more stable than the 1st. Denden said it would feel "tippy" at first, I've had no problem with that at all. Stable at highway speeds? Had it up to 95 a couple times last weekend coming home from Memphis, no problem whatsoever, like riding a rail......right Squid?:whistling:

Well at least you guys that don't like it haven't sued me (yet)...I was one of the first, if not the first, to run a 130 tire on the front of the RSV...all the way back in 2000.

But I didn't put mine on because somebody else said it was better...my first one actually got on there because of an error by the accessories store/tire shop...ordered the "wrong" tire and installed it and didn't tell me. Thought the bike felt different, checked, and lo & behold a 130 instead of 150 tire....but I liked the way the bike felt and I've been putting 130s on since then, both on the 99 and on the 06. Trick though to some of what you guys are complaining about is not the tire...it's the steering head (needing a adjustment), having some air in the front forks, and proper pressures in BOTH front and rear tire.

If you'd like to file a suit though, Freebird can give you my full name and address :hurts:.

Curt

Well at least you guys that don't like it haven't sued me (yet)...I was one of the first, if not the first, to run a 130 tire on the front of the RSV...all the way back in 2000.

But I didn't put mine on because somebody else said it was better...my first one actually got on there because of an error by the accessories store/tire shop...ordered the "wrong" tire and installed it and didn't tell me. Thought the bike felt different, checked, and lo & behold a 130 instead of 150 tire....but I liked the way the bike felt and I've been putting 130s on since then, both on the 99 and on the 06. Trick though to some of what you guys are complaining about is not the tire...it's the steering head (needing a adjustment), having some air in the front forks, and proper pressures in BOTH front and rear tire.

If you'd like to file a suit though, Freebird can give you my full name and address :hurts:.

Curt

Hmmm, and how much is your net worth????

Steering head is adjusted and run 46 lbs in front tire. Forks have 5 lbs of air. I just dont like the loose feel of the bike at lower speeds. Never was able to get used to it. Call me a glutton for punishment. The bike also dont feel as stable at higher speeds. I felt planted with the 150......now, how much can I sue you for again????:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Guest Boomerbiker

I had Avons mounted at time of purchase including the 130 front. Rear replaced at 13,600 miles. Front has 20,000 with tread to go. Have ridden in all kinds of weather conditions, including an Iowa monsoon in July. Have run it to 90 passing a couple of times without a hiccup. Guess I'm the exception in this thread, but I like the maneuverability with the smaller front tire.

my bike wobbled at over 100mph with stock size Michelin commanders and with a BFG rea, Avon 130 front. The 130 Avon actually made the wobble worse.

Ive since installed a Works Shock and the wobble is mostly gone at 100mph. I'll probably go back to the 150 front when this one wears out.

Steering head is adjusted and run 46 lbs in front tire. Forks have 5 lbs of air. I just dont like the loose feel of the bike at lower speeds. Never was able to get used to it. Call me a glutton for punishment. The bike also dont feel as stable at higher speeds. I felt planted with the 150......now, how much can I sue you for again????:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

46 psi is a very excessive amount for any front tire. almost to the point of being dangerous. i would never go over 39 psi in the front. and 41 in the rear. a wing that outweighs a venture and has a 130 tire oem, has a max pressure recommendation of 36 psi front and 41 psi rear full load. tires aren't something to play with and second guess the factory on. i would'nt go over 36 in the front on the venture with a 130. that should be plenty. there aren't very many bikes out there that use a 150 front tire. really never understood why yamaha chose to do it. guess to give the bike a heavy more sluggish luxury feel. :2133:

46 psi is a very excessive amount for any front tire. almost to the point of being dangerous. i would never go over 39 psi in the front. and 41 in the rear. a wing that outweighs a venture and has a 130 tire oem, has a max pressure recommendation of 36 psi front and 41 psi rear full load. tires aren't something to play with and second guess the factory on. i would'nt go over 36 in the front on the venture with a 130. that should be plenty. there aren't very many bikes out there that use a 150 front tire. really never understood why yamaha chose to do it. guess to give the bike a heavy more sluggish luxury feel. :2133:

The avons are a 50 lb tire, so he's not actually over inflated. I did find that the 150 front tire is more stable on the super slabs at speed when it's a bit windy out. That was my biggest complaint with the 130 when we did our big trip out west on '06. The bike was blown all over the place in windy conditions...I didn't care for that feeling. I haven't had the sensation nowhere near as bad with the 150 on the bike.

The avons are a 50 lb tire, so he's not actually over inflated. I did find that the 150 front tire is more stable on the super slabs at speed when it's a bit windy out. That was my biggest complaint with the 130 when we did our big trip out west on '06. The bike was blown all over the place in windy conditions...I didn't care for that feeling. I haven't had the sensation nowhere near as bad with the 150 on the bike.

brad, no doubt about it ,the 130 is more sensitive to rider input. i noticed that right off the bat. the 150 has a more luxury feel. i figure what ever the rider prefers. for me was the low speed stability with my bad legs was better with the 130's. i did like the 150's better on the straights. the 130's definately give the bike a sportier handling characteristic, which i prefer. still think 46 psi in the front is out of sight, and dangerous. bill :2133:

With my track record with group...at least good for a laugh! You'd have a hard time proving it in court that I was the first and that I convinced anyone to change from a 150 to a 130 :whistling: (even I think I was likely one of the first to change to a 130). Between this site, and at least three other places there's enough advice or lack of advice out there that it would be hard to prove one person started the whole thing....:080402gudl_prv:

:missingtooth: Curt