Now this is strange,just got back off a arkansas bike trip.Had all my camping gear on my bike about 40 pounds.When i take my hands off the handle bars it starts to shimmy bad,I mean bad.I unloaded my gear off the back of it and no shimmy.Most of the weight was on the passenger seat with very little on the luggage rack.If it shimmys with that little weight on the back i can just imagine what it would do with a passenger. I have 36 PSI in the front tires and 42 PSI in the rear tire.Also 7 PSI in each front fork. Any ideas on what could be causing the shimmy.Oh yes. it has stock Dunlop tires on it with plenty of rubber left.

Checked your steering head bearings lately? They might need tightening. Also, why are you running 7 psi in the front forks, that is the max recommended. Try running them around 2 psi and see if that helps. How much psi are you running in the rear shock? I usually run 20-25 in the rear and 2-3 in the front.

In No. Georgia, on old 9 between Dalondega and Dawsonville, there are enough tar snakes to fill a rodeo. In the summer, the Venture (05) becomes downright unruly with front end wiggle. My V-Star is solid as a rock.

Had tree different tires - tire pressure high and low - tightened head bearings. All to no avail.

Either the tubes are just a little weak for the load, or the fork oil is low on one tube.

Don't want to think about the fork oil aspect.

Is there an easy way of checking the fork oil??

You might check for cupping on the front tire. Just run your hand over the outer side of the tread or use a light and you might find that the rubber is wearing more at the lead of the cut tread than it is at the trailing edge.

Lots of good info from all here, but I'm on the same lines as Carl. I had an Avon on the rear of my '99 and there was reasonable tread left but it was starting to cup. Bike didn't handle for crap, replaced the tires...all gone. The pressures in the forks are another look see. I usually keep my rear at about 40 psi as I like a bit stiffer ride for performance. The fronts at about 4 or 5, it's all about how you want it to feel. I also agree with checking the steer head bearings. Loosen the top triple tree nut, which a 1 1/16" wrench will work I do believe, and tap the retaining nut under the chrome cover with a long punch clockwise and tighten the nut after it's snug, dont reef on it.

Lots of good info from all here, but I'm on the same lines as Carl. I had an Avon on the rear of my '99 and there was reasonable tread left but it was starting to cup. Bike didn't handle for crap, replaced the tires...all gone. The pressures in the forks are another look see. I usually keep my rear at about 40 psi as I like a bit stiffer ride for performance. The fronts at about 4 or 5, it's all about how you want it to feel. I also agree with checking the steer head bearings. Loosen the top triple tree nut, which a 1 1/16" wrench will work I do believe, and tap the retaining nut under the chrome cover with a long punch clockwise and tighten the nut after it's snug, dont reef on it.

And don't forget to open the Pinch Bolts on the lower Tripple Tree before working on the Lock Nut