IGNORED

Spark Plug Question -- NGK or Champion or Autolite?

I usually use the NGK plugs but I think the ones in the bike now are Champion.

I can't seem to tell much difference in them but the guy I ride with quite a lot is an auto mechanic and for some reason he don't care much for the Champion plugs. He also don't like the fram filters but I get good results with them.

Just my opinion.

Jerry

I've used both NGK and Autolite and can't tell the difference. I quit using Champions years ago because the porcelain was so fragile that I would almost always break one every tune up while trying to tighten them down. On a V-8 I would usually buy 10 just so I wouldn't have to go back to town and buy another one or two. At the time I didn't think it was just Champions since that was about all I bought. Then one day someone told me to try AC or Autolite and I did. Never broke another plug and never bought another Champion. I've been told that they aren't like that any more, but I'm out of the habit of buying them now, so i don't know.

I put NGK's in mine the first year I owned it but in the fall they fouled up quickly when I had to use the choke. Up here the NGK's cost about $5 each. I replaced them with Autolites I got at a Farm and Fleet in Milwaukee for a buck each and they have been in for 2 years now. with about 10,000 miles on them. I'll probably replace them next spring.

Like the others said I haven't had good luck with Champions and usually stay away from them.

Rick

I've only replaced the plugs in my 87 VR once, replaced NGK's that looked not bad really, with new NGK's just because. They were only 2 bucks a pop at Pep Boys, not too bad. But I will express a little different opinion; I've run Champs in my Virago for years simply because they were only a buck apiece at Pep Boys. (Yeah, there are only two of them in a Virago, but I used to be even cheaper than I am now.) I ran them a long time, 20k miles plus on a set, and they were fine. Frankly, I've never noticed any difference switching plug brands in anything.

Jeremy

I've been using NGK's for years and have been using the Irridium ones for about 5 or 6 years. I've had my '87 for 3 summers now with same irridium plugs.

I too stopped using champion plugs many years ago...they never seemed to stand up and yep, I found they broke easy.

For Information purposes only....

Other plugs that fit a - 2nd Gen

Brand Type Part # Gap

NGK Standard DPR8EA-9 .035

NGK Iridium DPR8EIX-9 .035

Accel ----- R121XLS .035

AC Delco ----- 4163 .035

Bosch -------- XR4CS .035

Champion R RA6HC .035

GM ------- 5614066 .035

Splitfire Standard SF416D .035

Splitfire Platinum TP416D .035

I have used Autolite and Champion. My 84 currently has Champion. Champion has improved, I blew them off a long time ago myself but out of necessity tried a set several years ago. I think the new numbering is 908??? I don't know why they feel like they need to change numbers. This plug has what they called a fine wire electrod. I have had them in the bike for 3000 miles and when I pulled them they looked like the day I put them in. The base nut is 5/8th, which make removal much easier than finding the thin walled 18mm. Only problem is that you need to blow out the plug area before you remove the plug so dirt don't fall in the hole when you remeove the plug, then again you need to do it with NGK and Autolite.; I paid less than 2 bucks a plug. joe

I hate to be unpatriotic - and also to rely on twenty year old anecdotal evidence - but with Champions it was always necessary to be ready for a duff spark plug, maybe to be ready to have a spare to replace a bad one. Why change out old NGK ones for Champions for ones that might not work - generally as a way of eliminating possible problem components to diagnose a problem you don't want to add questionable parts.

I never had a bad NGK plug, so I've never gone back.

A couple of years ago Champion were promoting copper cored plugs. Whoopee do.

Ditto on Champions. I had a set of the new copper cores when they 1st came out. I put them in my 1982 Gold Wing. Took them out on the side of the road and put the NGKs back in. The Champions were not burning hot enough. Seemed to cut out some of the strength of the spark. I use plain NGKs. Don't trust the super fancy ground electrodes. Can say that Autolite has never let me down. I run NGKs in my 4 wheel vehicles.

JB