IGNORED

Which brake fluid??????

2nd gen.........dot 3? 4? 5?

I'm stuck in NC ......I over heated the rear brake while going down hills /w trailer. They came back after the line cooled down. Their is plenty of pad (both sides) but I want to add a little to the resivoir!!! don't want to mismatch!!!!

Edited by Royal Venturer

Wow, I posted and two others snuck in ahead.

Since you're loading the brakes heavy with a trailer and the fluid is a couple years old, you may want to flush out the whole thing and put all new fluid in. As brake fluid breaks down and absorbs moisture, its boiling point gets lower.

The same fluid works in the clutch too.

I use a fluid by Valvoline, it's call Synpower and it is compatable with DOT 3 & 4. As mentioned DOT 5 is Silicone based and will not work, 5.1 wont either. Lynn mentioned about flushing the entire system out, which is sound advise. It will take a bit of time but you wont have anymore headaches, give a call if you need more help, the phone is always on.

Here is a pic of the bottle

That's fine also

I stand corrected and found this online

Product Description

DOT 3/4 -- 100% Synthetic Brake Fluid

100% synthetic fluid for hydraulically actuated-brake and clutch systems.

DOT 3/4 fluid is suitable for up-grade from conventional DOT 3 or DOT 4.

Fluidity specially designed for anti-locking brake systems (ABS).

Fully compatible and miscible with Conventional Brake Fluids.

This version is clear and pale blue in color to distinguish it from conventional fluids which are clear to amber.

No special procedures are required when bleeding and replacing conventional system fluids with SynLube Stop-4-Life Brake Fluids.

Typical service life 24 months for DOT 3/4 Formula

DOT 5.1 -- Non-Silicone Synthetic Brake Fluid

LONG LIFE 100% synthetic fluid for hydraulically actuated-brake and clutch systems. (Based on Polyglycol chemistry).

DOT 5.1 NON-SILICONE BASE suitable for up-grade from DOT 3 or DOT 4.

This version is crystal clear and has extra solvency which has the ability to clean and put into suspension gum and sludge deposits formed by conventional brake fluids.

No special procedures are required when bleeding and replacing conventional system fluids with SynLube Stop-4-Life Brake Fluids.

Typical service life 60 months for DOT 5.1 Standard Formula

DOT 5.1 -- Long-Life Non-Silicone Synthetic

EXTRA LONG LIFE 100% synthetic fluid for hydraulically actuated-brake and clutch systems. (Based on Polyglycol chemistry).

DOT 5.1 NON-SILICONE BASE suitable for up-grade from DOT 3 or DOT 4.

This version has extra anti corrosion additives that protect ferrous, white and yellow metal brake system components.

This fluid is clear and golden yellow in color.

Typical service life up to 10 years for DOT 5.1 Extra Long Life Formula

Ok, this thread has me interested. I never looked at brake fluids before and their differences. I know my lines have not been flushed in a long time. So I figure I'll have to do them sooner than later.

One question, I was told about the wonders of speed bleeders at Pork in the Pines. I had never heard of such things. What size do I buy for the RSV? They sure do sound like it will make flushing my brake and clutch lines much easier.

All you EVER wanted to know about how brake fluid is tested..... is HERE

A very DRY document..... ZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzz

I to to page 3.....

I got to that document thru THIS web page.

I will probably get DOT 5.1 for my vehicles, but it costs more than DOT 3 or 4. The Valvoline Power did well in it's tests 503F dry boiling point and 343F wet and a MSRP of $4.97/16.9oz bottle..... I'll be buying a new bottle every time I need to replace the fluid in any of my vehicles!!!!!

BTW be careful adding fluid to your system. DON'T OVER FILL IT...... the reservoir level will be lower with used pads than with new pads....... If you bleed your brakes, refill ONLY to the level you had when you started, or when you replace your pads you will end up with an overfilled and over flowing reservoir...... I did it on my 1979 Camaro.......

Edited by KiteSquid