IGNORED

Hole in Brand New Tire

Du-Rron

I don't know if I would trust just a plug on a MC tire. Even if you watch it close, if it does go the tire will go down faster than you can stop. I would trust a T Plug where it is a combination of a patch on the inside and a plug in the hole, But only if the original puncture did not cut a bunch of tire cords. A blowout on a car is no big deal, just a big inconvenience, a blow out on a bike is very bad.

Actually, I found out this last February with my new car that plugs are illegal in NY state now! Myself I wouldn't trust a plug on a motorcycle tire, you only have 2 wheels contacting the ground! It would be better to pull the tire and put a vulcanized patch on the inside IMHO...

i've ridden plugged rear tires several times! Properly applied they are okay. Its always been on a rear tire. If a plug lets go its just like any other leak. the entire circumference doesn't go just one spot and you get a slow leak like picking up a nail usually enough warning to get over and stop. Now my brother had the new valve stem on his HD snap off, he barely had time to get stopped from 70MPH on the interstate.

Tire plugs are not illegal in NY state, only in certain circumstance i.e closeness to side wall and less than certain tread depth remaining, which applies to all types of repair. The law also state that a "proper repair" is a combination of interior patch and a plug.

It is only illegal to sell a tire as "new" that has been repaired with a plug.

Yeah... I've ridden with a plug more than once. If the plug fails then I am back to the same leak I had when I started. About 3psi a day. No catastrophic air loss all at once. The maximum mileage I have ridden with a rear tire plugged was on a Dunlop 404, which also got punctured when new, and I rode that one out for 7K miles.

Brand new bike (Venture) and on first long trip at 400 miles from home the rear tire was flat in a hotel parking lot. Aired it up and took it to the local dealer and it had two small nails in it about 1/2 inch apart. Luckily they had a new Avon in stock (only the one tire) and it was nearly too old to sell due to the date code. Got a great discount on it and still wore it out before it reached the 5 year mark.

I had a brand spanking new Shinko. I had like 1000 miles or less on it. Got a 3/4" or so cut right in the tread. I also thought it was to close to the sidewall for my comfort. I could have patched it, but once off I didnt like the angle and length. It happened about 20 miles from home. I had a plug kit with me and plugged it. I also think given a choice I'll patch vs plug if possible.