IGNORED

New Battery

tiny84

I'm dusting off the venture and bringing it out of mothballs. Bike was stored at my folks house this winter so I didn't get a chance to charge the battery every so offten this season so the battery is pooched. I bought a new battery from VIP yesterday and filled it with the acid. My question is how long should it take for the first charge i'm slow charging it at 2amps but i think it read charged alot sooner then I expected. Only took maybe 5 hours I thought for our bikes it would take over night atleast.

most batteries from walmart and other places all you do is add the acid and they are ready to use. It is recommended that you take them for a short ride to top the charge of but they are usually ready to use right after putting the acid in.

• 4 years later...

This has been one of the more popular choices with the 1st gens for a while.

I've had mine in for about 4 years now and it is a tough one. Still cranks like a new one every time.

American made, AGM, and stronger cranking amps than an Odessey.

For the quality and dependablity you can't buy a better battery for the money.

http://www.bohannonbattery.com/html/deka/etx18l.html

This thread will offer some interesting reading on battery options and one of the posts that led up to finding out about the DEKA line.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=33375

Mike

Edited by Snaggletooth

most batteries from walmart and other places all you do is add the acid and they are ready to use. It is recommended that you take them for a short ride to top the charge of but they are usually ready to use right after putting the acid in.

This information is ABSOLUTELY INCORRECT. All new batteries MUST be given a proper initial charge at the specs given by the manufacturer. Failing to do that guarantees that the battery will NEVER reach its full capacity, and its life will be shortened.

Goose

Thanks guys unfortunately living in Canada that battery is not available how about something from Walmart or Canadian Tire or Yamaha dealer

Thanks

Tim

I got 1 in Wainwright AB & also in Victoria BC (for 2 bikes), so the Deka is available up here (they just cost more).

:mo money:

I got 1 in Wainwright AB & also in Victoria BC (for 2 bikes), so the Deka is available up here (they just cost more).

I was able to buy a Decka here in Ontario but in the end, I ordered it from Bohanan (great guys) and my all cost including shipping was less than buying it here in Ontario.

This information is ABSOLUTELY INCORRECT. All new batteries MUST be given a proper initial charge at the specs given by the manufacturer. Failing to do that guarantees that the battery will NEVER reach its full capacity, and its life will be shortened.

Goose

sorry funrider:no-no-no: V7Goose is correct you must charge the battery before use if not that will shorten the battery life posibly in half the batteries you get have a charge on them that is from the test they do at the MFG to make sure it works and holds a charge they however do not have a full charge these batteries in most cases do not have the acid installed for reasons of transport which makes no sence because car batteries are shipped with acid in them :confused24:

• 4 months later...

I know its an old thread, but instead of starting a brand new one I thought I would post here and see if I get any answers to my question. I have an 09 RSV 17k miles. As far as I can tell it is OEM lead acid wet cell battery. Bike starts and runs fine, but in the last say 2 months it has started doing a weak battery indication to me. Say I work on something on the bike and have power turned on for maybe 30mi to hour. Next day it is either slow rolling over and either goes click click before it starts or just barley get going. Then is fine. If it sits for say 3-4 days it also does same kind of thing, but not always. I'm thinking the battery is just at the end of its life. Cough up the $90 before it strands me.

Yep, sounds like the end is getting close. I think my favorite people to deal with are in your state, if not area.

Check out Bohannon for the ETX20L for your bike. Josh is great to talk to there.

http://www.bohannonbattery.com/html/deka/etx20l.html

You can't beat the DEKA AGM's for the CCA, money, quality or performance.

Mike

Bohanon seems to be the place to go. Even though I have to pay sales tax on it the battery is still better quality and price than whats available local. I checked out my tractor supply web site and the batteries that show up are Exide lead acid. Not what I want. Man I wonder if I can hold off until next month, I have to go up to Daytona area anyways for work.

I ordered my DEKA from Bohannon's I think over four seasons ago. It was $82.00 back then shipped to my door here in Nebraska. Had it threes days after I ordered it. No regrets at all. It's a 12.8 volt battery and that is the least it showed on my digital voltmeter every time I hit the switch.

I've never had to use a Tender on it for any reason. Never had a need to. I was in the garage this morning and checked the reading. It was at 12.6 and hasn't been touched in over a month. That's on a four+ year old battery. Fired right up. Some claim you can get 10 years out of an AGM if cared for. I'm hoping.

I've paid over $120.00 for a Name Brand L/A and only got a season or two out of it. I'm liking this one alot.

I know you'll like it.

Mike

Guest scarylarry

I bought a big crank AGM from a supplier here, put the charger and was fully charge in 15 mins..

This is my first AGM battery so the jury is still out..

Asked me in a year if I like it, to soon to tell..

For the money I paid for it I coudn't pass it up