IGNORED

New GoPro Advice

craigatcsi

My wife got us a new 'GoPro Hero' for Christmas for our 07 Venture Trike.

Of course, there is no handlebar mount included. But, mine are full anyways. I don't want it beyond the windshield anyways, do I? I have the 3 pouch above the dashboard, so that space is taken.

I have to believe someone on this board has the answer(s) as to what is the best place to mount it.

craigr

My best videos have been taken when it was mounted on my helmet. HOWEVER, I have to remember not to do a lot of head turning, especially suddenly. I have permanent mounts (Ram Mounts) on my Clutch and Brake reservoirs. Use the shortest arm you can find to minimize vibration.

Unless it is COOOLD, we seldom where helmets. So, a Helmet mount isn't practical for us. But, I did think about trying to adapt one of my Headlamp harnesses that I use for fishing. As I type this, I'm thinking I should check out their site, they may already have this available.

Great tip about the short arm to keep down vibration, I wouldn't of thought of that.

Thanks

I do all my videoing/picture taking by either holding the camera in my hand or asking my wife to take over - fun to be able to have us in the shots and all that weird stuff - get some pretty interesting shots that way.. Daughter got one of those selfie video stick things for her phone for Christmas, pretty cool.. Now I am thinking of adapting something like that into our ride style, carrying the camera on a stick in a scabbard on the side of the bike (bet those border guards up in Canada will be suspicious about that one:crackup:) - thinking it would be really neat to be able to extend the arm out and get shots with the bike/us and the roadside scenery..

Wonder if you could mount the Go-Pro on a similar device - like a small collapsible pole on the back of the bike so you could raise it up and it would capture the two of you with a road view in front of you:scratchchin:

Yea,, I know,, I aint right in the head :sign67:

I tried mounting mine on the clutch resivoir but with the wide field of view the go pro has, I saw way too much of my dash and windshield, so I bought an extension arm, but got extreme vibration. I didn't want to mount it on my helmet, as I think that looks goofy, so I ended up mounting it on the clear plastic piece beside the front forks. I like this spot, but the one drawback is that you can't reach it when on the bike, so you need to start your recording before your ride.

Dale

Well, for now anyways, I've decided to go with a head mount for the camera, (not the helmet mount).

This brings up another question.... We are looking to buy extra MicroSD memory chips. We found 64gb microSDHC and MicroSDXC. What is the difference between them? - The HC version is cheaper.

craigr

Don't buy cheap SD cards, they can't keep up with the camera. I always buy the SanDisk Ultra's in 2, 16, 32, 64 GB sizes and keep them all with the cam kit I keep in the top trunk. Also, it's a good idea to buy extra batteries, I have 6 total and charge them in the motel room when we stop. If you are recording at highest resolution and frame rate you'll eat up a battery every 60-90 minutes. Last year I bought another housing and drilled a hole in it so I could power it with a USB cord.

I have Ram mounts on the right mirror stem and the luggage rack, at times I've mounted it by the headlight and crash bars. Always use the shortest extention you can to minimize vibration. When on a snowmobile , it's helmet mounted.

Can you post a picture of your ram mounts. I am wanting to mount an action cam somewhere, but where I can turn it off and on. I seen a cam that had a remote push button for turning on to record.

Well, for now anyways, I've decided to go with a head mount for the camera, (not the helmet mount).

This brings up another question.... We are looking to buy extra MicroSD memory chips. We found 64gb microSDHC and MicroSDXC. What is the difference between them? - The HC version is cheaper.

craigr

The more expensive ones will write to the disc faster. Better for shooting HD or 4K video.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Few things... For mounting:

the suction cup works VERYwell and I was concerned about it falling off etc. the suction cup is fantastic with zero issues

they also make a clamp and you can buy a short goose neck piece if you want to extend it beyond the normal clamp. They can go on crash bars, passenger arm rest, trunk etc. they also have an extender, a mono pole which can /can not be extended. For the wife to hold or use, or to clamp on to the bike. I have the suction cup, clamp, handlebar, 2 helmet top and side and mono pole. Each to get a different perspective. The helmet version, top and side does not affect your head or neck in terms of pain, just weird depending on what you turn to see. Suction cup and clamp work great for me

Batteries: I got pissed when my batteries would die, which is a known go pro issue on the 3, but allegedly improved on the 4. After coming back from Bryson city and getting really upset w the battery, ( and I have 2 batteries but can't really change while on the road) I purchased a wasabi battery extender which gives 3-4x battery life. It attached to back of go pro and comes with extended waterproof cover, so far zero issues or complaints

SD card: I agree with previous posting of San disk and get the highest amount of GB you can afford

initially go pro is a bit of a PITA to get it how you want, but add a few accessories, extended battery and some trial and error on locations to place on the bike, it's not a bad machine.

OH... Someone mentioned depending on where it is, they can't control the camera. You can get a wi FI remote, which works well but that also drains battery life. However for riding the bike, saving time and SD card, it's a great tool.

Hope some of this helps...