IGNORED

Venture vs RSTD

Bikes

I am looking for a Venture, I see a few RSTDs for sale as well, i realize they share the same platform and have some obvious differences, i.e. tour pack, batwing fairing, stereo and such. Am I correct in assuming its pretty much the same bike with different bolt ons? Aside from the obvious, what are any other significant differences? I see that the RSTD is usually quite less expensive....I have already fallen in love with the Galaxy Blue 07 Venture......so this may be a moot post...;).......thanks....

You have about covered it all. Seats, fairing, Trunk, stereo, intercom, cb. Some say the gearing in the td trans is a little different. Yamaha says 4th and 5th are overdrive on the td. someone here will chime in with the correct info. the back fender is different. We put venture pillow tops on our td. also added a harley trunk and fairing. I think that is the only real differences. We have a pearl white 06 td for sale. (It is completely stock, moved the fairing/seats and trunk to the replacement) Liked the td enough we bought another one.

Welcome to the site: I hope you stick around. So much knowledge and support for these wonderful machines. For the money they are very hard to beat. You and the others have it covered. The RSV has 4 way flashers and the RSTD does not. Something I wish I had at times. I plan on adding and after market 4 way solution in the future. I personally chose the RSTD because it fit me better and was less expensive. I really enjoy the electronic cruise control. I have since also added a Harley trunk to our bike also. This site makes owning a Yamaha so much more enjoyable than going it alone. Way more knowledge here then any one dealer could ever supply. The blue RSV would be an awesome choice. Keep us posted.:)

Probably the biggest difference is the windsheild and passenger backrest are detachable making the TD a little more like 2 bikes in one. I owned a TD for a number of years and loved it. if youre already in love with a venture then you will not be satisfied with the mistress.

boomer

Having owned both my experience was that I felt more a part of the bike on the Tour Deluxe than the Venture. I could maneuver the TD much easier and that might be the faring difference. The Venture has more wind protection although the TD isn't bad. I am riding a Road Star now and for me the fit is perfect. I do miss cruise control and the larger saddle bags. This is a great site and if you hang around you will get the best advice and make great friends. For the money you can't go wrong with a Royal Star and a membership to this site!

Well, thanks all, its mostly what I thought although the gearing differences was/is a suprise...a biggie for me is cruise and wind/cold protection and I realize a fairing is usually better and I could add a throttlemeister or something...gonna be fun shopping....

they are mechanically the same, including the gear box and final drive. They both have cruise control.

Fairing, topbox and electronics are added to the Venture. The gas tank, handlebars and seat are slightly different, however will interchange with minor fitment.

I find that a large bag on the luggage rack of the RSTD will hold more gear than a top box. usually I ride solo and the added passenger rest of the Venture wasn't a plus for me.

The Venture (with fairing) may have slightly better aerodynamics. My (ex) Venture got about 1 mpg better fuel mileage than my RSTD at highway speeds.

If you decide on an RSTD, shop around a few states, different dealers. You might still find a left over 2 to 4 year old model, for a big discount !!

Shoot for 13.5K to 14K, for a new, left over if you can find one.

Then add your own accessories, much cheaper then buying a new RSV for 20K plus.

Especially if you ride Solo !

You pay a lot extra, for the fairing, radio, sound system and trunk. And a little bit bigger fuel tank.

Its the same basic, machine, without all the accessories.

For solo, pull the pass seat and add a luggage rack. For a storage luggage bag.

Yamaha also sells an bolt on luggage rack for the back side of the Sissy Bar, for more

storage space.

There are also, wider, and higher aftermarket windshields avialable for the RSTD if you want more wind protection. I have one of these, and love it.

Also, aftermarket much more comfortable Solo Seats, and double seats are avialable to replace the stock seats.

I ride Solo, and my RSTD is set up for Solo rideing .

Also, look for a Low milage, 06 to 2010 RSTD, if you decide on that style. Half the price of a new RSV

10,000 miles on these bikes is " Just Broke In " !!

Edited by GeorgeS

I have both for over 3 years now.

Above is the difference in the machines.

The difference you may be asking about is the difference in what they are made for.

The RSV is made as a tour bike. The RSTD is your daily GO bike.

If you want to ride from ME to FL,,, you will much more enjoy the RSV. So will your passenger. (But, of course the RSTD will get there too.)

If you want to solo in the country and mountains, the RSTD is more fun and agile and you get more breeze. (But, of course the RSV will go there too.)

And yes, in ME the RSV will afford you more wind protection.

What do you want to do with it?

Mike G.

PS: Bikes, looking at your last post,,, they BOTH have cruise control. The RSTD does not have hazzards. (In fact the buttons that do the cruise on the RSTD do the hazzards on the RSV. A real conundrum for me the first time I tried to use the cruise on the RSV!!!,,, and my wife who was following me wondering why I had the hazzards on!)

Mike, although I have delusions of long cross country three month long excursions, it aint gonna happen.....:). I have a fifty mile commute, an occasional 3 or 4 hundred mile day trip, i do like a well handling bike. My ol hands and back are more and more affected by the cold and ergos of the last few bikes I've had....figure its time to treat myself to a bit of comfort..I have never listened to music while riding so I'm not sure if that would be neccesary....the FJR is pretty good but my hands arent doing well with it and frankly, its so easy to go fast and I drive for a living..i wouldn't get a ticket, I'd get arrested!....but a solid bike no doubt.....I'm definitely sold on Yamaha's big touring bikes......

Most comfy bike i've owned was a 70 electra glide with a pogo seat.....although a basic bike, it was nice........

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii224/stripah/bike%20stuff/tux.jpg

I think,I will look a bit for a TD also.....try to sit on a few.......not many up here though....but I have a few months

Mark,

What you will love about either bike is the V-4 engine. Smooth and durable. Can expect 150+K miles.

If you can pick up one that is only a couple of years old, you may have a 3 year warranty left. Or maybe,, as they are "end of line" you may be able to get a new/old bike from a dealer with 5 year.

Last RSTD was a 2009, the color was good, I think two tone black/charcoal.

You might come across one new,,,, maybe. (If I win lottery I would buy one and store it.)

Good luck, time and the economy are on your side.

Mike G.

PS, I don't even know how to use the radio/CB/intercom on my RSV,,,, just not important.

When we were looking for a new bike, we test rode a few RSV's. Old and new. A little top heavy for me. Took the RSTD out for a ride and fell on love with her. Changed out the seats and put a luggage rack on the bag with an xlarge tourmaster bag. Recently rode 1500 miles from Denver to Phoenix and back 2up and had a great time. This is the best bike I have ever owned. And living in Denver, it handles wonderfully in the mountains. 2up and accelerating up the mountains with power to spare.

Mike, although I have delusions of long cross country three month long excursions, it aint gonna happen.....:). I have a fifty mile commute, an occasional 3 or 4 hundred mile day trip, i do like a well handling bike. My ol hands and back are more and more affected by the cold and ergos of the last few bikes I've had....figure its time to treat myself to a bit of comfort..I have never listened to music while riding so I'm not sure if that would be neccesary....the FJR is pretty good but my hands arent doing well with it and frankly, its so easy to go fast and I drive for a living..i wouldn't get a ticket, I'd get arrested!....but a solid bike no doubt.....I'm definitely sold on Yamaha's big touring bikes......

Most comfy bike i've owned was a 70 electra glide with a pogo seat.....although a basic bike, it was nice........

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii224/stripah/bike%20stuff/tux.jpg

I think,I will look a bit for a TD also.....try to sit on a few.......not many up here though....but I have a few months

If you are leaning towards a TD I encourage you to check out a Road Star Silverado with shield and bags as well. It doesn't hurt to compare. I thought my TD was a great fit and ride for me but found the Road Star much better for me especially in town. Like the Royal Star you can find some sweet deals on them.

Very first ride on my '96 RS Tour Classic, the precursor to the RSTD, was about 60 miles from the PO's house to my Mum's. Second ride was taking it home from the Mum's in Illinois to just NW of Houston where I live with a "slight" detour to fellow VRO'er Kenny Branton's place in Bogaloosa, La. for a Maintenance Day. Something like 1400 miles, nearly all Interstate riding, on a bike that does NOT have all the bells and whistles [ie cruise!] of it's newer brethren but I had a blast on it. Mustang Solo seat and two duffle bags on the pillon and yours truly was agoing down the highway!

Several members of the Houston VRO gang ride RSTD's and wouldn't ride anything else. At least one, if memory serves, had a RSV and switched to the TD that he likes better. It's all a matter of personal taste. My bike is 17 yrs old but has yet to act like it. These bikes properly taken care of will go on forever. And what this lot on here doesn't know about the Royal Star's isn't worth mentioning.

As for the Road Star, they are great bikes. I've demo ridden them several times over the last several years but I prefer my TC. I'd also prefer a RSV but that will have to wait until I get my trike in a year or two. :mo money:

I don't know about that, and it will always be debated, But I like to interstate cruise on my RSTD. :)

Maybe I made a mistake by referring the TD as a 'boulevard cruiser'. Bad choice of words, and maybe I should have used 'Weekend Cruiser' instead. Boulevard has more of a local street stop light to stop light connotation. I still think the RSV makes a better long range bike, offering greater comfort and protection to the rider....

Maybe I made a mistake by referring the TD as a 'boulevard cruiser'. Bad choice of words, and maybe I should have used 'Weekend Cruiser' instead. Boulevard has more of a local street stop light to stop light connotation. I still think the RSV makes a better long range bike, offering greater comfort and protection to the rider....

I liked the old-style standard seat reworked by Rick Butler on my RSV, better than the factory seat on my RSTD. Which reminds me to get Rick to do his magic on my RSTD seat while winter is upon us. I don't care for the new pillow-top RSV seat, which many love. ymmv

There is a thread here somewhere about mounting a RSV seat to the RSTD. If I don't find the Butler mod RSTD seat as comfortable as my old RSV seat, I can always buy a used one and fit it to my RSTD.

I also found the handlebar placement of the RSV slightly more comfortable than that of the RSTD, but only marginally so. I suspect that is highly rider specific, as some riders prefer the bars of the RSTD.