IGNORED

Question for our car painters

Squidley

I am looking to get some info and somewhat get myself back up to date on the new ways they are painting cars and such. Back in the day, 20 some years ago while I was in the service. One of my jobs was to paint the helicopters I worked on. I went to school and such to learn it, and way back then we were using the standard Binks and Devilbiss siphon guns.

My question to those in the know now, is this, what it a decent quality HVLP top cup gun. I dont need to be painting show cars or bike, but I'm looking for a good quality paint gun to replace my old siphon guns....let me know what y'all think.

I don't consider myself in the KNOW but I bought one of Harbor Freights better ones when I was restoring and antique tractor and had good results with it. Think it would do good in the hands of someone with more experience.

http://http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=73189&stc=1&d=1356137961

I am looking to get some info and somewhat get myself back up to date on the new ways they are painting cars and such. Back in the day, 20 some years ago while I was in the service. One of my jobs was to paint the helicopters I worked on. I went to school and such to learn it, and way back then we were using the standard Binks and Devilbiss siphon guns.

My question to those in the know now, is this, what it a decent quality HVLP top cup gun. I dont need to be painting show cars or bike, but I'm looking for a good quality paint gun to replace my old siphon guns....let me know what y'all think.

I wouldn't say I'm in the know but I use the Binks HVLP " M1G "(m one g) gun decent priced, parts available and it will spray all the new paints with the right tips/nozzle installed. :2cents:

I bought one from H/F, used it to paint a front bumper for my son's Kia Sportage earlier this year. I only got 1 small "sag", and that was because I got too close, but it wet-sanded out. I like the HVLP's over the old-styles. I saw a program on Speed last weekend that said water-based automotive paint is becoming the hot thing now, no v.o.c.'s or nasties to breathe.

Thanks fellas, I did go online and look at some of them. I was looking at some kits, with 2 gun in them 1 for the primers and 1 for the top coats that have finer tips. For less than $300 I could get a Binks, Devilbiss or Sharpe (although I have never heard of Sharpe) This gives me an idea of what I'm looking to spend.

Keep the info coming, can't have too much information, or thats what I have heard :confused24:

I used a Sharpe siphon gun for a long time and bought a Devilbiss Finishline HVLP gun about 10 years ago. I have not regretted buying it for a minute. I also bought a HF HVLP gun for my son in law, whos a very talented painter and he likes it a bunch.

If you are going to be painting small jobs or some garage things, the HF gun will probably be fine.

Now first off I dont paint cars, but I do paint a lot of different types of materials. What we use and I have painted a few bike repair parts for a few friends and what i use is from the consstruction world. Air compressor and pot gun. Its a Binks setup. 1 1/2 quart pot that hangs on your side and a binks gun fed by air hose and material hose from pressure pot. If the material is thind corectly and air pressure is wright you will be hard pressed to find a difference between what I do with this machine and what a pro car painter does

Like said before. proper tips, material, and pressures will give you greta results. And also as said before every tool does well if used correctly

David

Now first off I dont paint cars, but I do paint a lot of different types of materials. What we use and I have painted a few bike repair parts for a few friends and what i use is from the consstruction world. Air compressor and pot gun. Its a Binks setup. 1 1/2 quart pot that hangs on your side and a binks gun fed by air hose and material hose from pressure pot. If the material is thind corectly and air pressure is wright you will be hard pressed to find a difference between what I do with this machine and what a pro car painter does

Like said before. proper tips, material, and pressures will give you greta results. And also as said before every tool does well if used correctly

David

+1...

A half decent HVLP will be alot easier for someone to use that is less experienced. cleanup is easier.

For someone that is experienced though... it will be impossible to distinguish the finnish between them.

loss of product: siphon gun: when spraying(overspray) and what it can't reach in the bottom of the cup.

I figure it this way, if you already have it mixed ... you are going to be throwing away what is not used as there are activators and hardners in the newer paints...