IGNORED

College Football Question

BigLenny

Don't know how many college football fans we have out there, but I'm looking for some opinions on the guy that my home states team hired yesterday. Arkansas sneaked into Wisconsin and grabbed Bret Bielema yesterday, and everyone here is in a total stunned coma about it. The airwaves are filled with mixed responses from people thinking it was a good hire, to folks highly upset.

So, can anyone give me an honest read on what we have comin at us?

All I know is he got Russell Wilson from NC state couple of years ago and every NFL fan knows how that turned out. Don't know if it was the coach or the QB but he is making a name over there in Seattle.........

Yeah, A lot of folks are talking about that today. So, Russell Wilson came from NC State? Didn't know that.

I have mixed feeling with Bielema leaving WI.

He has averaged 10 wins per season that he was here.

He got us to the Rose Bowl the last 3 years. But he has never won a Rose bowl.

He did beat AK in a bowl game a few years ago.

His allegiance is obviously not to his team but to the almighty dollar. If the TEAM meant a lot to him he would have waited till the end of the season, and not run after the first dollar waved under his nose.

So part of me hates to see his winning record leave, but part of me says good riddance.

I have mixed feeling with Bielema leaving WI.

He has averaged 10 wins per season that he was here.

He got us to the Rose Bowl the last 3 years. But he has never won a Rose bowl.

He did beat AK in a bowl game a few years ago.

His allegiance is obviously not to his team but to the almighty dollar. If the TEAM meant a lot to him he would have waited till the end of the season, and not run after the first dollar waved under his nose.

So part of me hates to see his winning record leave, but part of me says good riddance.

Hmmm. I was wondering if it was that kind of a story, that people in Wisconsin would have mixed feelings. The local news here in Arkansas reported that a survey was done back in Wisconsin, and 67% of the people were glad to see him go. That doesn't sound like a real whiz bang hire for Arkansas, but the Hog Nation will spin it as he's a great hire anyway.

The almighty dollar is what 99% of these coaches are about. The hiring of Bielema to Arkansas was huge news here in the state yesterday, but just as big here locally was the news that Gus Malzahn, the head coach for Arkansas State, lied to the program and was leaving to take the head coaching position at Auburn. It was devistatating to AState because he had came in here last year and spent the whole season campaining about how big his vision is for AState to be the Boise of the south. He even as recently as Sunday said on a TV interview that he has unfinished business that he is focussed on at AState. He convincd them to pay more for him than they have ever paid for a coach, and they committed to a $30M stadium expansion, only for him to jump to Auburn yesterday. He is an Arkansas born and raised boy that constantly spoke of how glad he was to be back home. All he did yesterday was prove, along with Bielema, and 99% of the coaches that he can lie and deceive with the best of them.

I've been a rabid NCAA football fan my whole life, but this crap is starting to give me a sick feeling in my stomach about supporting a system that ALL about the money.

Hmmm. I was wondering if it was that kind of a story, that people in Wisconsin would have mixed feelings. The local news here in Arkansas reported that a survey was done back in Wisconsin, and 67% of the people were glad to see him go. That doesn't sound like a real whiz bang hire for Arkansas, but the Hog Nation will spin it as he's a great hire anyway.

If the survey was done after he was committed to leave, most may have just been mad at him.

RandyA

If the survey was done after he was committed to leave, most may have just been mad at him.

RandyA

There have been a lot of people here in WI calling for his head all season.

I still have to wonder if this was in parts so that he would not end up with an 0-3 Rose Bowl record. As it is he ended up 2-4 in his career in bowl games. I can believe that that poll was taken before the news broke yesterday.

Now we need to find and train a coach quick before the Rose Bowl.

I have not been a college fan till lately. Driving OTR I hear a lot of ESPN radio and have gotten interested. So far, all I know is this.

Johnny Manzell is fun to watch. I refuse to call him Johny Football. That sounds cheesy.

Notre Dame sucks and doesn't belong where they are? Um, they play well enough to win. They stand a decent chance against Alabama I think. And I hope they beat the egotistical sons-a-guns.

College ball needs a true play off set up similar to college basketball or NFL football. Pick one. Either way is better than the popularity contest used now.

Look at it this way college football lovers. In football, the coaches leave early. In college basketball its the players........What is worse, these colleges having to pay salaries in some instances to coaches who leave, or players who just leave the program early? I know college sports is a business, but it sucks when a school has to pay a coach millions of dollars after he leaves. I also understand that coaches can leave in basketball too. But it doesnt happen nearly as often.

I just finished watching the live press conference of the introduction of him as the coach. I can tell you one thing, he is very impressive as a presence in front of the camera. Especially if you compare him to the reclusive attitude we had to deal with when Bobby Petrino was coach. More often than not, Petrino acted annoyed that reporters would even ask him questions. Very arrogant little fella. Bielema seems to be a more farm raised country boy type that is honest with the press. But, they can always fool ya. LOL.

Time will tell if he will survive the pressure cooker that is the SEC, with all of the cut throat recruiting tactics, and underhanded financial dealings that go on down here. It really is a different world.

It was cool to find out that his favorite aunt and uncle have lived here in Little Rock his whole life. And he has a close cousin that lives in the northwest part of the state.

Bottom line is, if he doesn't win fairly quick the Hog fans will be calling for his head soon enough, and the warm and fuzzy feelings right now will be long forgotten. I am a born and raised Arkansan who has been a life long Hog fan, and I will tell you, Razorback fans will eat their own young. I watched them crucify Little rock born Houston Nutt because the guy supposedly couldn't win "the big one". Nevermind that he played for the SEC championship 3 times. I watched them gripe and moan about Arkansas born Kenny Hatfield in the 80's because he ran the wishbone, even though the guy kept us in the top 10 nationally every year and left here with a 72% winning percentage.

I love my state, but it's a different world down here, and I hope for his own sake, Bielema does well enough to keep the knuckle draggers in this state quiet.

Yeah, A lot of folks are talking about that today. So, Russell Wilson came from NC State? Didn't know that.

Yep Russell played for NC state for 3 years and went pro in baseball. Decided he wanted to come back to state and play his sr year in football and stupid state coach said no. So he went to WI. The rest is history.

I just finished watching the live press conference of the introduction of him as the coach. I can tell you one thing, he is very impressive as a presence in front of the camera. Especially if you compare him to the reclusive attitude we had to deal with when Bobby Petrino was coach. More often than not, Petrino acted annoyed that reporters would even ask him questions. Very arrogant little fella. Bielema seems to be a more farm raised country boy type that is honest with the press. But, they can always fool ya. LOL.

Time will tell if he will survive the pressure cooker that is the SEC, with all of the cut throat recruiting tactics, and underhanded financial dealings that go on down here. It really is a different world.

It was cool to find out that his favorite aunt and uncle have lived here in Little Rock his whole life. And he has a close cousin that lives in the northwest part of the state.

Bottom line is, if he doesn't win fairly quick the Hog fans will be calling for his head soon enough, and the warm and fuzzy feelings right now will be long forgotten. I am a born and raised Arkansan who has been a life long Hog fan, and I will tell you, Razorback fans will eat their own young. I watched them crucify Little rock born Houston Nutt because the guy supposedly couldn't win "the big one". Nevermind that he played for the SEC championship 3 times. I watched them gripe and moan about Arkansas born Kenny Hatfield in the 80's because he ran the wishbone, even though the guy kept us in the top 10 nationally every year and left here with a 72% winning percentage.

I love my state, but it's a different world down here, and I hope for his own sake, Bielema does well enough to keep the knuckle draggers in this state quiet.

Lenny,

you can download an AP for WWLS, a local station to OKC (and the best sports talk radio I have ever found) and listen 24/7 on your phone from Ar. You should pay special attention to 2-5pm with Jim Traber, x-Ok State QB and major baseball player, who is 52 in age and beyond years in knowledge. While some find him a little ruff, he always is dead on. In Okla. we were anxiously awaiting the news that Mike Gundy, the OSU coach was taking the job, which he was offered. Also offered the Tennessee job. SUPPOSEDLY, he has declined Tenn. and obviously declined Ar. Traber said today that while Bielema IS an exceptional coach, the FIT with Arkansas will never work. For many reasons. wwls.com is worth a look and you can stream live (as I do) all day on the computer. The sister station in Tulsa is 97.1 fm and they carry the same broadcast. You will be enlightened, guaranteed. I hope it works out for you, but we have the same problems here with Ostate. Gundy has problems with the AD and last year signed a 3+mil salary with incentives to boot calling this his "Yankees" job he would never leave. Now he has interviewed with 2 schools, some reporting offering 5+mil a year. He declined, but we think it could be to throw his hat in the ring for Texassucks next year when Mackattack has another 8-4 year and is ask to move to the front office. I absolutely LOVE college sports as opposed to pro, but the past few years has worn my resolve Thinnnn...:bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head: Good Luck.

Sorry, but we don't discuss college football in Kentucky so I can't help ya. But if you want to talk round ball :thumbsup2: --------------although nothing to brag about so far this year.

Yeah how did you like that Duke game earlier this season? ;) but hard to recover from 6 members of your team going pro at same time.

Lenny,

you can download an AP for WWLS, a local station to OKC (and the best sports talk radio I have ever found) and listen 24/7 on your phone from Ar. You should pay special attention to 2-5pm with Jim Traber, x-Ok State QB and major baseball player, who is 52 in age and beyond years in knowledge. While some find him a little ruff, he always is dead on. In Okla. we were anxiously awaiting the news that Mike Gundy, the OSU coach was taking the job, which he was offered. Also offered the Tennessee job. SUPPOSEDLY, he has declined Tenn. and obviously declined Ar. Traber said today that while Bielema IS an exceptional coach, the FIT with Arkansas will never work. For many reasons. wwls.com is worth a look and you can stream live (as I do) all day on the computer. The sister station in Tulsa is 97.1 fm and they carry the same broadcast. You will be enlightened, guaranteed. I hope it works out for you, but we have the same problems here with Ostate. Gundy has problems with the AD and last year signed a 3+mil salary with incentives to boot calling this his "Yankees" job he would never leave. Now he has interviewed with 2 schools, some reporting offering 5+mil a year. He declined, but we think it could be to throw his hat in the ring for Texassucks next year when Mackattack has another 8-4 year and is ask to move to the front office. I absolutely LOVE college sports as opposed to pro, but the past few years has worn my resolve Thinnnn...:bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head: Good Luck.

Deepfork,

I'll check that out. I'm always listening to sports talk radio. We have an unbelievable station here in Arkansas too. Its 103.7 The Buzz. You can stream it live also. My brother who lives in Tampa streams it almost everyday, and says its way better than the ones they have down there. It starts off in the morning from 6-10 with David Bazzel, a former UA linebacker and Tommy Smith, then from 10-1 its the Zone, more local and regional sports talk, then 1-4 with Matt Jones the former famous UA quarterback and another guy, and then 4-7 with Randy Rainwater and Rick Sheafer, the former UA SID. Oklahoma and Ok State are talked about a lot on the shows. The news all day yesterday was that Gundy was the guy. The whole state was settled that it was him, and then out of the blue comes the news that it's Bielema. Crazy!

Have to mention that Wisconsin did finish 3rd in it's division of the Big 10. They stomped Nebraska in the championship game, but their season was not a overwhelming success. Penn State should probably have been in that game, none of the players were involved in that mess and should not have been punished the way they were. Ohio State was deservedly forbidden from post season, those kids over there were real jerks, and coach Trestle worse for covering it up. And I'm a Buckeye fan, born and raised in Ohio. Woody Hayes was the speaker at one of my high school sports banquets. (That was a lo-o-o-ong time ago) Wisconsin has given Ohio State fits for a few years now.

Of course, the Big 10 is about to become the Big14, and we know it's all about the $$$. The coaches have the same mentality.

Yeah how did you like that Duke game earlier this season? ;) but hard to recover from 6 members of your team going pro at same time.

Shoot, we haven't gotten over the Laitner (sp) shot yet and you bring up a 2012 game??? But anytime we play the Heels or the Devils we go in mourning if we lose. :)

Shoot, we haven't gotten over the Laitner (sp) shot yet and you bring up a 2012 game??? But anytime we play the Heels or the Devils we go in mourning if we lose. :)

LOL when I was watching the Duke/ KY game I saw tshirts and signs that said "I STILL HATE LAITNER" that was to funny!!!!!!!! I have been a die hard DUKE fan for over 40 years now. We are gonna be hard to beat this year. But once your freshmen gel you'll will get better,an then they will all go pro lol. We have seniors on our team.......... that helps a lot ;)

LOL when I was watching the Duke/ KY game I saw tshirts and signs that said "I STILL HATE LAITNER" that was to funny!!!!!!!! I have been a die hard DUKE fan for over 40 years now. We are gonna be hard to beat this year. But once your freshmen gel you'll will get better,an then they will all go pro lol. We have seniors on our team.......... that helps a lot ;)

Wow, you guys going back in time brings a special memory in my heart and mind of our boy Scotty Thurman nailing the impossible three to put the nail in Dukes coffin in the 94 national championship game.

GO HOGS!

Wow, you guys going back in time brings a special memory in my heart and mind of our boy Scotty Thurman nailing the impossible three to put the nail in Dukes coffin in the 94 national championship game.

GO HOGS!

a blind hog finds an acorn every now and then Lenny (no pun intended) lol Go Blue Devils!!!!

a blind hog finds an acorn every now and then Lenny (no pun intended) lol Go Blue Devils!!!!

You are so right. We played in the final again in 95 and have never been close again.

I've always been a huge admirer of Duke basketball. The standard they have set for doing it right from top to bottom is second to none. Coach K is a wizard.

One thing BB did at Wisconsin is run a clean, disciplined program. He was a great recruiter of the big boys and developed them into draftable NFL linemen (JJ Watt). There is a reason Wisconsin has the Div 1 NCAA record holders for total yards (Ron Dayne) and touchdowns (Monte Ball).

Arkansas got a good coach who will run a good program. And as far as I know, he doesn't even own a motorcycle.

RR