IGNORED

never trusted gas heat

jonesy

http://www.wwlp.com/dpp/news/local/hampden/downtown-intersection-blocked-off-due-to-apparent-gas-leak

Never liked gas at all, they had that one in Indy in the last week or so. Today they had blast that was heard and felt 25 miles away, in our downtown area. Mostly older brick buildings, 2 wiped out, dozen or more that they think will have to come down. Nobody killed but 2 dozen hurt. Never will like gas, I guess.

People get electrocuted working on their electrical systems too. Can't trust electric heat.

Been workin' on electric systems since '76, it ended up being a deer tryin' to take me out!

I'm still here......

A little 110 volt shock just tickles now :stickinouttounge:

Been workin' on electric systems since '76, it ended up being a deer tryin' to take me out!

I'm still here......

A little 110 volt shock just tickles now :stickinouttounge:

I had an uncle who was electrocuted in his mid-50's way back when I was a boy. He was an electrician who thought he could work on circuits while they were live....used to do it all the time. They called him to come to the county fair grounds to fix something up on a pole. He said they didn't need to turn off the power, he could do it with it on.

They called the undertaker shortly after......

Be careful Dano. It gets ya when you don't expect it.

http://www.wwlp.com/dpp/news/local/hampden/downtown-intersection-blocked-off-due-to-apparent-gas-leak

Never liked gas at all, they had that one in Indy in the last week or so. Today they had blast that was heard and felt 25 miles away, in our downtown area. Mostly older brick buildings, 2 wiped out, dozen or more that they think will have to come down. Nobody killed but 2 dozen hurt. Never will like gas, I guess.

Gas all the way here, for everything is possible. I couldn't ride my scooter without gas, my r/c cars, mower etc. I couldn't imagine the old ways without it, horse and buggy not my thing heat and wipers just not up to par. :stirthepot:

It said natural gas but it didn't say it was gas company gas, a pipeline leak or a natural gas well. Gas is odorless until the gas company adds mercaptan, that warns you that you have a leak. The pipelines you see going across the country usually contain odorless natural gas (no mercaptan in it). We have had people tap a natural well and pipe that into their house and that is dangerous. Thais why you put in a outside furnace house or water heater house, away from the home and pump the warmth in via hot water or steam. Everything in nature is dangerous to humans unless it is managed.

I pulled pipe to my garage for gas and the gas company made me relocate the line outside of the concrete driveway, if a leak occurs they want it to escape above ground. If you smell gas in an enclosed area, open windows and go outside turn off the gas before the meter and walk into the wind.

Had such problems with our old oil burner and folks who maintained it. Sometimes they would skip servicing the oil filter and nozzle. We also had a relay fail and filled our house with black smoke. We have hot air heat, so the walls/ceilings were always gray. We've had our high-efficiency, natural gas furnace for a few years, and we love it! No more oil deliveries... Wife complained one day that our gas bill had gone up over the years. Reminded her that we previously only used gas for hot water. We are saving a ton of money. Only one gas explosion in our town in the 40 years we have been here. Someone had a leak where gas entered their home. House was leveled and neighborhood windows were broken, but man and his mother were okay.

I wish we had Natural Gas up on the hill where I live. We are far enough out in the country that we either use propane, or electric to heat our homes. Natural Gas is so much less in cost than propane. But I love heating and cooking with gas, rather than electric. I own my own propane tank...a 5000 gallon tank (not 500 gal, but 5000 gal)

and filling it every couple years is a serious cost. But luckily propane in this area is a decent price of $ 1.49 to $ 1.69 a gallon, on sale.

I use the propane to heat the hosue, for two gas fireplaces, for cooktop, for 13K watt standby generator, for hot water heater, for clothes dryer, etc. Much cheaper than electric to do all of that. And, I run all my own gas lines to fireplaces and generator, so I save on installs and maintenance.:backinmyday:

Guest tx2sturgis

I got rid of natural gas supply to my house too.

I never liked the idea of high pressure flammable substance being forced into my house, relying on sometimes questionable fittings, pipes and joints, that were put in by someone else, many many years ago who is dead by now. :scratchchin:

"Gas" and Propane, are only as safe as the guy that installed and serviced the equipment or the moron that vandalized the equipment.

You would not believe the nightmare going on around here with fuel oil, a house being torn down to re-mediate the property after a faulty underground oil tank was filled by mistake. A single mother down the block from the same home getting a $20,000 bill because oil was traced back to her storm drains although it was not coming from her oil system in anyway.... but know body died so I guess it is safe, just an environmental night mare !

I am sure 250 gallons of volatile fuel sitting in a rusty tank in the basement will be ok long after the guy that welded it dies will be fine too.

Oh did I mention I am a gas fitter........... but non bias.

:2cents: :stickpoke:

I got rid of natural gas supply to my house too.

I never liked the idea of high pressure flammable substance being forced into my house, relying on sometimes questionable fittings, pipes and joints, that were put in by someone else, many many years ago who is dead by now. :scratchchin:

All natural gas pipes in our neighborhood were replaced with hoses with a single connection at our inside gas meter. Very interesting to watch the upgrade. A similar type hose was used to connect our gas meter to our furnace. If installed properly, looks very safe. Our inside oil tank was removed and gave us a lot of space. Best change we ever made to our house.

How many poeple here fly in planes? Drive cars? Ride motorcycles? Walk across streets? More poeple die per year doing those things than blowing up from gas lines exploding. Yup, can't trust them airplanes. Not safe in a cage.....too many nuts on the road. Same goes with riding the scoot. Walking.......man those curbs just jump up outta nowhere.

Just sayin...............