IGNORED

Hips have about had it.

craigatcsi

You will have about the same power drag going either way. If you dont put a rake kit on your pressure on the shoulders will be about the same.I ride with a fellow who has aaa White RSV/Hannigan trike and it is very sleek,gorgeous and elegant looking,much more so (INHO) then another friends White Wing/Trike.However when we go to do presentations to youth groups the kids flock around both the trikes and the sidecar outfits.Both are real crowd pleasers.You can probably take the sidecar off the bike when you sell,but you may not have the old parts to left to return the steering to stock.If you don't buy the same model bike you will be buying new mounts and new rake kit so there will be a considerable expense either way.

Open sidecars are available from Champion,Ural,Jawa and some others I don't remember.

With a sidecar you will have to remember that it is sticking out to the right.With a trike you have to remember that you are wider then you used to be on either side,but not as wide as a sidecar.

I have to agree with the others who have said this,do the hip replacement now. Then decide what you need for a ride.On either of the 3 rides (stock,trike,sidecar) you still have to stradle it and some of your hip discomfort is coming from that.From experience you will heal so much faster at 50 then in 60's or 70's.Afetr our wreck in 2011 I couldn't believe how long the recovery was from a simple fracture.I was 65 at the time.I had cancer surgery 12 years ago and was up and around in days and recovered in weeks.The effects from the wreck lasted a year. If you need to talk to someone you can call me.PM for phone#.

One more vote for trike here! Siudecars are kind of cool, but you have to learn to "fly" the thing for proper motorcycle performance, and you turn real great in one direction, but not so great in the other! Yes, there is a learning curve with a trike but once you get used to it the big dawgs have a hard time keeping up with you! Plus, you can go on all sorts of terrain and surfaces with no worry whatsoever. Sure, it's an expense, I have over $30,000 in mine, but I know there are bikes out there that cost more than that! You should be able to pick up a used trike for half that in very good shape! I would stick with metric trikes though for reliability and longevity,

Gas mileage will definately go down the tubes but the joy of driving them is well worth it! Just putting around back roads I get around 30mpg but 2 up towing a trailer on the superslabs at 70+mph drops it down to around 20...

Just a note - As for the Hip replacement, it's not an option in my case. They say the Hip itself looks fine & that it is the connective tissue that is failing. I already have to grab a pants leg to lift my Left Leg over the seat. I haven't been able to mount without doing it this way in several years.

You folks have me bouncing back and forth between the trike and the sidecar. It's just the LARGE cost of the Trike! I REALLY Like my Venture, but the 1300 has me worried about power when going to a Trike. I've considered dropping down to an 1800 Wing so that I still have the umph factor. - I just don't feel old enough for a Wing yet! AND, the Wing isn't a 'cruiser' style. I really wish they made an 1800 'Cruiser' style in my V-4. (?).

I LOVE that the Venture looks like a slow pig, but that I can roll it on and impress even crotch rockets!

I know that I am going to give up things by going either way, but am pretty sure I will enjoy riding more because I won't hurt so much afterwards. As I said above, I find excuses to my wife why we can't ride because I know how bad I am going to hurt later. By switching, I really believe we will ride like we used to. I haven't ridden my bike to work at all this year because how bad I am in the mornings. I would prolly ride every day if I had 3 wheels.

Yes, I am leaning back towards the Trike.

Thanks for all of the responses, I never dreamed there would be this many!!

craigr

I don't think you will have one Trike person here, tell you

that your going to loose all kinds of power. mine has

plenty of power to do the job.

another thing to remember going side car route is that

you will have to get on from the left side all the time

if that's an issue with your condition or not.

Jeff

Somewheres, I have seen MY 07 Blue / Black with a trike kit on it & it looked very good!!

I would like to find a Trike of the same style close by that would let the wife and I take it for a spin to see what we would have. But, I don't know of any. It would make it MUCH easier to make the decision.

craigr

Not to be a wet blanket but From your discription of your hip problem it sounds like you are going to hurt no matter what you ride.You will sit on a trike,sidecar rig or stock the same way.The only difference will be in getting on and when stopped.Are you losing leg strength?What do the doctors tell you as a possible solution to you problem?Do they give you any hope for remediation?

Doc says as of yet, there is no cure for my ailment. It has a probably will continue to worsen with age. And yes, my legs are getting weaker, which is why I came so close to dropping her several times last weekend.

After thinking about it on and off all day, and again looking at the pick of my model and color of bike as a Trike, I'm thinking that I will probably be triking it.

I may end up giving Hannigan a call to check further into it. -

I planned to replace my tires this coming winter, I guess if I am going to do it, now is probably a better time then after I buy that rear tire! :)

I will show my wife these posts tonight then we can talk about it. I'm pretty sure that she WAS game either way - just that one way or another she gets to ride more!

Thanks again folks,

craigr

I've never owned anything but the sidecar rig I have now, so I have no comparison with two wheels. I bought it because I liked the way it looked (and everyone told me they were too hard to drive, so I had to)

You "drive" a hack, and it needs to be set up properly. Took me about a year to get everything the way I wanted. Changing out the triple trees was the best investment and makes steering a breeze.

Check out sidecar.com for vendors. They are extremely helpful.

You tend to take things slower and enjoy the ride. The boyfriend drives much faster than I do, but I have no problem keeping up when riding with a group.

Like you said, trikes are pretty common......I've never taken my Broom anywhere that folks haven't stopped and talked to me and asked plenty of questions. I know what you are talking about. Sidecars make up only 2% of the motorcycle market.

I love driving the Broom, and I like being a passenger. I have a clear view ahead and don't have to stare at the back of his head. Also, I can move as much as I want and not throw the driver off balance.

I don't have reverse and haven't missed it. Gravity is my friend. If I don't think ahead, the Broom rolls so easily that it can be pushed by one person if I need help.

That being said, I wrecked. On a left turn. I'm chalking it up to inexperience. At least I know my brakes work....I just shouldn't have used them :shock3: Can't wait to get it fixed and on the road.

I imagine the first ride on either a trike or hack will not feel that great because you are not used to steering. 3 different friends with years of motorcycle experience have driven mine and none of them liked it.

:080402gudl_prv:

All what the others have said is true. While you will give up some performance you won't be left in the cold either. Keep in mind that the extra weight of a trike will be compensated with lower gearing in the rear axle. Hannigain uses a 3:73 gear ratio ( same as the V-max differential) that'll move the tachometer up about 500 rpm's at 70 mph.

You will keep up when running twisties with your 2 wheeled friends too. In fact most times you'll be able to run thru curves at 5-15 mph over the suggested yellow speed signs.

Larry

Look at this picture of my wife the day I brought her new trike home. After 1 year of riding it she still has that smile every time she get's on it. It's an '08 Hannigan with easy steer and Flanders bars. Steers pretty easy and as long as you are not riding the Dragon or similar roads it doesn't tire you out.

• 3 months later...

Pegasus1300 mentioned that he missed the feeling of leaning into turns while riding with a sidecar. Years ago there was a sidecar marketed that was designed to lean with the bike. It was almost like two bikes side by side going into turns. It was also very streamlined and good looking. I don't remember the name or manufacturer. Maybe someone out there knows what they were called or even has one sitting around.