IGNORED

1983 venture xvz12 problems

I have just pick up a 1983 venture xvz12. I found out that it has a few problems. 1st is the elect fuse box is done , some of round fuse clamps are gone and someone has tried to repair it and wires are taped and spliced together. 2nd is there is the red warning light flashing . 3rd the computer monitor has the battery, brake fluid and head light indicator on. 4th I am getting about 60 miles to a tank of gas and i smell gas when I stop and today it made ao popping are a back fire sound down around the carbs going down the road. 5th The consoles are split are cracked. 6th the paint is faded and some of the fairing tabs are brokin off. I sure could use some help and guidance because I dont have any idea where to start to fix all this.

progress.gif

So Brant, you bought a fixer-upper and you are up in the middle of the night trying to figure out what to do and where to start, hummm..., sounds familiar.

First of all, welcome to our little group and if you join, it will be the best $12 you will ever spend on the bike, plus you may also get a bit of entertainment to go a long with it.

Secondly, I did not see anything that you mentioned that has not been addressed on here multiple times and the best way to find out is to do a search on each specific item. I think you can do a search without being a member, so find the search button in the header above you and try it out. You may have to weed through a lot of stuff, but as I said, everything you noted has been addressed and is somewhat common, but not necessarily at one time. My first question to you is do you have some basic mechanical skills? I ask this because we do have some members that are basically limited to being able to put gas in their bike.

I will try to lightly touch on some of the things you have questions on.

1st. Fuse box needs to be replaced with modern, blade type fuses. You can pick up a multiple strip at an automotive store, or one of our members on here, Skydoc17 has done most of the work for you and offers a great fuse panel kit.

2nd. Any icon on the panel that stays on will cause the red light to blink. It may be because you have a problem in the system of the icon noted, or it may be a problem with the computer monitor itself.

3rd. the battery light is usually associated with the battery being low on water, or if the battery does not have the water level pickup, you can do a bypass to fix that one. Many of us on here have a DEKA battery that does not have a water level and we have an easy fix, just search. For the brake fluid levels, the one on the handle bar should be in the middle of the sight glass, but I suspect your bike is in need of a fluid replacement anyway and should be flushed. The foot brake applies fluid pressure to the left front caliper and rear caliper and if you bleed the brakes, don't over fill the reservoir, which is inside the side cover at right above where your right ankle would be. Be careful taking the plug out as these reservoirs are easy to break. Also, don't fill it to the top and take off down the road, or you will be dealing with brakes locking up. On the headlight, make sure it is working or not and we will go from there'

4th. Sounds like you need to do a good cleaning on the carbs. Many on here swear by using Sea Foam, a gas additive, and it does help a lot, but does not fix everything. Sometimes a good carb cleaning has to be done. The gas smell usually indicate a float bowl valve may need cleaning or adjusted or replaced. Each carb has an overflow and you need to determine which one is giving you a problem. With the gas mileage you noted and the popping, you may also be running off of three cylinders.

5th and 6th. There are several plastic epoxies available to help with the plastic repair and many of the plastic parts show up on ebay or are still available from the dealer. Many of us have painted our bikes as mine was Burgundy at one time and several years ago I painted it purple.

Brant, without a doubt, you will have some time and money invested to make this bike back like it needs to be, but in fixing it,it is like "How do you eat an elephant?" "One bite at a time."

Once you get your bike running good, you will be amazed at how strong it will run. In a good state of tune and some carb tweaking, these bikes will get in the upper 40's for gas mileage running 40 to 60 mph. 70 and up on the interstate will bring the mileage down some.

Things these bikes are a bit sensitive about;

Spark plugs. A fresh set of cheap Autolites from the auto store works fine.

Spark plug caps. there is a resistor that can corrode in the cap. You can take it a part and check them.

Carb diaphragms. They get pin holes and this will affect lots of things. Easy to check. Search.

Carb sync. Not a big deal if you know how to do it or have a friend that has a manometer or gages or go to one of our get-to-gethers like Asheville and someone will do it for free.

Carb pilot jets. These are small jets in the carb that can get clogged and about the only thing you can do is take carbs apart and clean them. Sometimes Sea Foam will help.

There is another inherent problem with the 83 thru mid 85 and that is associated with 2nd gear. Not a great big deal with some mechanical skills.

Computer control panel. these things sometimes need a re solder job. This can cause a multitude of problems. Not a big deal, just a bit of work.

Be real careful of dealers. If you find one that will work on your 29 year old bike, they may not know much about it. Most folks do a lot better addressing problems on here and fixing it themselves.

Tell us about your bike and a little about you and I am sure you will get some help.

RandyA

Edited by Venturous Randy

Will my name is Brantley Wise I live in Conway S.C. I am 42. I have been a millwright are a maint tech for 20 plus years. My elect knowledge is so so. I can wire up cd player and amp and speakers. A repair manual came with the bike. I have been reading it.

Looks like Randy hit the high points real well. From where you are starting from, I'd say the best place to start from would be getting it ready with the new fuse box. These bikes are picky on the power source. Skydoc_17's set up is complete and easy to install for sure. The old fuse box can create nightmares from the start with everything else so it's a good beginning point.

Make sure the battey is fully charged (and charging, should charge at about 14 to 14.5 volts across the battery at 2,000 rpm), Weak batteries are a problem if you have other issues.

Is you find you need a new battery the DEKA AGM line is top notch and one of our best choices.

As mentioned the Sea Foam is the best medicine for the the fuel system. Get some into the tank and into the carbs. Best to let it sit in the system for a few days to soak and clean. It does wonders to get you started.

Before you change the plugs to new, run the Sea Foam first. It breaks down the varnish and gunge in the carbs and it all ends up fouling the plugs.

But you have some things to start with so you have some things to think about.

We're gonna be around so keep us posted on how it's going.

Mike

:2BLUE:

you have definately found the right place! i had all those problems, and more, when i first bought my 83. the advice that was given IS SPOT ON! the Skydoc fuse kit in the classifieds has easy to follow instructions. brake bleeding can be a pain, might want to think about Speedbleeders. i have a headlight icon on also, it goes off from time to time. i ecently removed the HID system i had in there, so its time for a new bulb. all of these repairs can be done BY YOU. im no mechanic, and with these guys help, i have one sweet ride today! join us!

While I'm not new here or new to the RSV bikes ( I have a 05 Midnight trike) I am new to the 1st gen bikes having gotten a 83 like yours last week. So I'll be learning things right along with you as I get mine back to shape too. These 1st genners here are a devoted bunch bar none and are wealth of knowledge who are willing to share with everyone. Most will even stop by and lend a hand helping you if they live close enough.

Good luck getting your ole gal back to good riding shape.

Larry

I have just pick up a 1983 venture xvz12. I found out that it has a few problems. I sure could use some help and guidance because I dont have any idea where to start to fix all this.

progress.gif

Nice write up Randy!

Brantley, I can tell you from personal experience, you just hit paydirt joining this forum. I was in your shoes last December. Neglected bike that needed lots of work. The people on this board are THE BEST!

Depending on how bad the plastics are would depend on how you would repair in. The epoxies are very good. My plastics were in realy rough shape (some were jigsaw puzzles) so I went with plastic welding.

Here's a few links I did on the welding process:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?p=691885#post691885

I now have a road ready tourer complete with very little expense thanks to the knowlege and assistance here.

Welcome aboard!

Edited by cabreco

Welcome aboard!! Venturous already pointed you in the right direction! We will be glad to help out as much as possible. Just take it one thing at a time, I would start with the fusebox issue followed by the carbs. Sea Foam will most likely help but you may have to disassemble the carbs and replace some parts if they are really bad. The fule smell is probably stuck floats and you may be pouring gas out the overflows. The carbs can be tricky but there is a great video out that you can sometimes find on ebay for rebuilding/overhauling the carbs. It is made for Vmax carbs but the Venture carbs are the same just jetted different.

Good luck,nce you get the kinks ironed out you will find you own one of the finest touring bikes ever made! The next step will be to get out and tour and meet some of the fine members here in person!!!

WELCOME

Just wanted to tip you off on the search method that works best here.

Click on Search..upper right just left of your your screen name.

Drop all the way down to where it says "Google Search"

Click on the http://www.venturerider.org and type in your cue words.

That way you will only get the threads in this forum. It's all you need.

Play with it and good luck !

You also nee to join since it is the best $12.00 you will spend and you need be able to see all the pictures etc.....and the rest of us won't bug you about joining the family...

i just pay my $12.00. you guys have already made me feel alot more confondent about geting to old boy back in shape. the bike is the plain one no cb and such. All of you have made feel like I am apart of a brother hood. I cant thank all of you enough .

Well, all I can say is it keeps getting better, my friend.

Tell us a little more about your scoot? Photo's are always encouraged. If you need help posting them, just ask. Plenty of folks around here to help.

Trust me, with a bit of work, you'll have that old girl up and running. I know I did. And I love my bike. Runs great! And there is that real sence of pride that you did it yourself.

Look forward to hearing more.

Cheers!

I went to pick up a fuse box today. now guys i am not to elect smart . i can wire up a radio and a amp and speackers. the box i have has the poles coming out the both sides . now what else do i need to get things started. i can get the female pole ends from work and any ends that i might need like crimps, butt splices.

Get some Sea-Foam in it. Lower the tank the better. Dump a whole can in there with less than 1/4 tank as you are working on the rest of stuff. Run it enough to make sure you get it into carbs and just let soak for couple days. It will smoke and carry on when you refire it. Run it hard to Gas station to fill up with fresh gas. Just Regular don't waste money on Hi-Test with these things. After the soak I bet you will see difference. Don't replace plugs til after this as it may foul them.

I went to pick up a fuse box today. now guys i am not to elect smart . i can wire up a radio and a amp and speackers. the box i have has the poles coming out the both sides . now what else do i need to get things started. i can get the female pole ends from work and any ends that i might need like crimps, butt splices.

Don't use butt splices. Solder splices are worth their time in gold. Depending on how badly PO butchered wiring, you will likely need to extend some wires to reach the new fuse block. Try to find spare wire #1 priority same or larger gauge, #2 try to match same colors. Get heat shrink tubing at radio shack, harbor freight, electronic supply...

Solder splice wires and cover with shrink tubing.

I also remove the insulation on crimp terminals, then both crimp and solder, then heat shrink.

now guys i am not to elect smart.

Welcome to my world! My friends call me Sparky just because the like to watch me do the electrical work on the bike. They even bought me a fire putter outer thingy for the shop for my birthday.

That said I've rewired about everthing that needed to done on my bike, new fuse panel, upgrade stator & R/R harness, driving and marker lights, upgrade horns, power switches, power supply to the trunk and saddlebags, and a head light mod and not once have I managed to set fire to the bike.

That is only thanks to the guys here that helped walk me through the systems and advise me on the old "how to's" along the way.

Mike

Welcome aboard!

I don't get on like I use to but i still frequent here...Why?? you might ask...Because these folks are truly just like family, I never had a question go unanswered or a need not met...

I own an 83 that was in worse shape than the one you have. It has carried me to Minesota and back and back from San Diego after trailering it out there.

The powerplant on the 83s are dumbed down V-Max engines (they all are i guess)(I think it is the strongest. I also have an 88 that is great but not like the 83) Dumbed down but not weak by any means.......just sayin'........

That said, Look into (search) batery/starter cables. you might look into a v-max starter at some point.

Anyway; Happy trails...:322: