IGNORED

My new to me toy

Flyinfool

Well it only took 2 years of negotiating but it is finally mine. Well sort of.

I bought it, I paid for it, now I just have to get it off the 4th floor that it is on and then get it home and then into my basement (I have no garage).

It will eat up 4 ft x 6 ft of floor area in my tiny little basement.

It is a Brown and Sharp No.2 (B?)

B&S No2 005.jpg

B&S No2 006.jpg

B&S No2 007.jpg

B&S No2 009.jpg

Edited by Flyinfool

I am guesstimating it at around 1500 lbs.

The Tree 2UVR Milling machine in my basement is 3400 lbs. My lathe was a wimpy 1200 lbs.

Half the fun is the move.

The closest that I could find to someone to move any of my machines was that I found a rigging company that would come and watch me move the mill for $1500. I told them they would have to pay me the $1500 for me to teach then how to move heavy equipment into a homes basement.

Movers wont touch machinery and riggers only want to work where they can drive a forklift or crane.

My ribs need to heal up some more before I do this move.

Should be fun. Its only 2 corners and down 1 flight of stairs. Simple........:whistling:

So here is the best advice I have for you; Be sure to take two (2) videographers, placing one in front, and one behind you and those who chose to help you.

AND... consider this a pre-order request for a copy of the video because I wanna see this !!! :shock3:

I smell a reality show video clip !!! :happy65:

So here is the best advice I have for you; Be sure to take two (2) videographers, placing one in front, and one behind you and those who chose to help you.

AND... consider this a pre-order request for a copy of the video because I wanna see this !!! :shock3:

I smell a reality show video clip !!! :happy65:

Video will cost ya...........

There is NO ONE allowed in front of the move. If it gets away, I would be short one videographer. I do not want to have to scrape up a road pizza with bits of camera from the basement floor.

This should be easy compared to the 3400 lb milling machine that was put down there by just 4 guys, of which I am the biggest. And I ain't that big.

It will most likely be at least a month before the big move. I have to finish helping my parents move first.

Now, where did I put all of that lumber to hold up the steps??????????:think:

• 3 months later...

Its getting there.

I have it all disassembled and loaded on carts and dollies ready for the move.

Now I just need to finish getting the house ready to accept it.

My best guesses are the base is 450 lbs, the post on the hand truck is 300 lbs. the engine hoist is 298lbs per the catalog.

Should all slide down into the basement with no problems.

Weather permitting the plan is to rent a trailer, and make the move this coming weekend.

For anyone that shows up to help, the Ice cream and Pizza are on me.:fingers-crossed-emo:fatsmiley:

Once I get it in the basement, then I get to clean everything (it is SERIOUSLY grungy on the inside and the mechanics), paint what needs protection, grease or oil everything that needs it, and put it back together, then run some 3ph 220 power to it and hope the motor runs.

If all goes well there should be sparks flying in about a month.

Edited by Flyinfool

It is a surface grinder.

It is used for grinding metal to a very smooth, flat surface, with great accuracy for the final thickness dimension.

I guess I should have said that in the beginning. Not everyone knows their way around a machine shop.

That is why I am a lousy teacher, I always ass-u-me stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

Well it is home and in the basement.

I had a plan and I executed the plan to perfection.

No one ever had to even give a little grunt.

There was no excitement at all.

So to all that thought this would be good fodder for AFV,,,,,,,:rasberry::rasberry::rasberry:

Now comes the real work, stripping everything down, cleaning everything, replacing bearings, allying proper lubricants and reassemble and calibrate.

"I love it when a plan comes together"

Nope. NO video.

It would have been boring to watch.

I don't like excitement when moving heavy things to the basement.

I built a ramp so the stairs were not trying to carry any weight.

The hallway floor was covered with 3/4 ply to spread the load on the way to the ramp.

The weight was controlled by being attached to the trailer hitch of a 6,000 lb 4X4 truck with a cable that is rated for 12,000 lb working load. The truck was in 4 Low the whole time just in case it had to pull it back up for some reason.

The dolly, cart, ramp and whole system is the same one that I built for moving the 3,400 lb milling machine down there. As disassembled the heaviest piece for this move was was the base at around 500 lbs, hardly even a challenge. the next heaviest piece, the column at about 300lbs, was simply loaded on a furniture dolly, 700 lb rated, and rolled down the ramp with the truck and cable connected to the axle to control the decent speed.

Tonnage rules when it comes to moving heavy weights. And safety first, NO ONE was allowed below the load or even in the house during the move.

Jeff, we've got 3 K.O.LEE grinders that look just like that in the shop where I work, as well as 3 other power driven grinders that are much larger. I used one several months back to resize some valve shims for my bike. I'm like you, I'd love to own my own machine shop equipment.

Have fun.

Valve shims may be one of the first things I do on this machine, my bike is due/overdue.

Ya I know, its easier to just get the traveling shim kit from one of the members here, but not nearly as much fun. That is also why I had to make my own shim tool.

Tip for regrinding valve shims; grind the side that has the size etched into it, then use a pencil grinder or some type of engraving tool to write the new size back on it. When you install it put the engraved side down away from the cam lobe.

I've never seen a tool i didn't like......

Sometimes it get's me into trouble...LOL

What are you cleaning the inside if the machine off with?

I have this same problem. But I also have the problem of I'll buy anything if the price is right.

Look at the trouble this is getting me into.........

I'll start cleaning with a sturdy scraper, maybe a hammer and chisel, yes it is that bad.

I'll most likely finish up with mineral spirits and oil.

I don't think this thing was cleaned since it left the factory.

Hoping to get it done by the end of the year, but I'm afraid that is being optimistic.