Auto Zone! It's just a simple single contact relay that is capable of handling a large current such as driving lights. There is a primary "coil" that you switch electricity to that does not draw much current that is in reality an electromagnet that closes a set of contacts that feeds the 12 volts to the driving lights. If you try to switch the voltage directly to the driving lights via the on/off switch the heavy currwent draw will destroy the contacts in the switch and it won't work any more...

As far as mounting, there is a single hole on the tab of the body and you can use a self tapping scrrew and mount it to the inner fairing or wherever it is convenient!

Bill,

I wired my driving lights through a relay. I also wired it so that I can switch my driving lights on and off using the HI beam switch, or the driving lights are on all the time the bike is running or the driving lights can be shut off at any time. The relay protects the bike's wiring and the reserve lighting unit isn't bothered. See attached schematic. I tapped the HI beam wire behind the headlight. Put the relay behind the headlight.

I've mounted 3 relays in the right side faring pocket of my MKII. I do not know if the MKIs are the same but the Rad over flow is in there.

Remove the pocket cover and on the left (inside) edge at the top there is a long nice verticle edge about the width of the relay.

Also on the same verticle side down lower just over 1/2 the way towards the rear there is an inch long open slot for wires to go through.

If you need more openings then on the same verticle side just over 1/2 up towards the front there is a large round groumlet where you probably can sneek a few wires through

Just make sure the relay position do not interfere with the cover mounting screws.

Several weeks ago we tried to wire a relay into my friend's son's Honda cruiser. He wanted his driving lights to come on automatically when the engine was running and not stay on if the key was on, but engine was off. The only wires we found that did that was the wires coming from the stater to the battery. The problem was his motor has that "Harley" type slow "thud..thud..thud" idle and the relay would click on and off repeatedly until he gave it some gas. worked fine at "speed" but figured he would burn out the relay in no time at idle at lights etc.

I am thinking that the stater/charging spin on a 1st Gen is faster and smoother so it might work on ours.

The idea behind this type of hook up was not to drain the battery while sitting with the key on, engine off, and not having to install a separate switch.

Any other thoughts... ??

Several weeks ago we tried to wire a relay into my friend's son's Honda cruiser. He wanted his driving lights to come on automatically when the engine was running and not stay on if the key was on, but engine was off. The only wires we found that did that was the wires coming from the stater to the battery. The problem was his motor has that "Harley" type slow "thud..thud..thud" idle and the relay would click on and off repeatedly until he gave it some gas. worked fine at "speed" but figured he would burn out the relay in no time at idle at lights etc.

I am thinking that the stater/charging spin on a 1st Gen is faster and smoother so it might work on ours.

The idea behind this type of hook up was not to drain the battery while sitting with the key on, engine off, and not having to install a separate switch.

Any other thoughts... ??

Another possibility is to wire the relay into the oil pressure system. Lights will be off until the engine is running under pressure.

On my bike I simply added in a reservoir mounted 3 gang switch box and manually turn on/off the lights as needed. I have a LED set of lights mounted on the riser clamps that come on when those lights are in use so at a glance I know if I forgot to turn them on or not.

Larry

Carbon I wish I could have found easy access to the oil press switch for my HID realy deal. I ended up just putting a toggle switch on it. The oil press deal would be the slickest way to do it. Once motor fires, wa la power to relay (or ground which ever you choose) and lights on automaticly.