IGNORED

Installed Michelin Commander IIs

Well, after about 4,000 miles my Avon Venom rear tire had developed cracking and needed to be replaced. I phoned Avon and discussed the matter with them, and though they seemed very helpful (and not unaware of the problem) they advised that I would have to go through my retailer for a replacement. I tried to call SWMototires but got no answer, so had to email them about the problem. They responded quick enough and advised that there should be no problem getting a replacement. Then I started thinking that I might just want to try the new Michelin Commander II's I had been reading about, and use the Avon's as backup tires if the Michelin's don't prove to be all their Marketing Department says they are.

I know, the Commander II is not available in a 150/90HB-16 front, but I had been wanting to give the narrower 130/90HB-16 a try anyway so this was not a problem for me. They do make a direct replacement for our 150/90HB-15 rear tires, so that's was a no-brainer.

Once I got them mounted and balanced, I only had enough time to put about 15 miles on them. I did like what I felt, and will report back after I get a couple of longer trips made on them.

Personaly I dont think I want a "narrower" tire up front. There must have been some reason that Yamaha put that size tire on there. Something to me about traction, bigger is better. I know I have read quite a few guys mounting up different from OEM front and not had problems. So what is it 20mm narrower? Call it 7/8" Let us know how it works out.

To each his own. I just thought I'd give it a try. Regarding Yamaha's decision to put the wider tire on the front, my guess is that they got a great deal from Bridgestone and Dunlop on that tire size. Kind of like the great deal they got from Clarion on cassette decks. That, or the marketeers just thought it looked "cool". Engineering decision..., maybe.

The fat tire up front probably has more to do with looks than performance. It wouldn't be the only sacrifice of performance for looks on the Venture. You don't see anything like this fat front tire on bikes that are built mainly for handling performance rather than looks. The Venture would look odd with a narrower front tire.

I went with the Comander II's also with the 130 up front. The bike is a whole lot nimbler in the turns, tight and sweeping. Before with the brickstone I really had to force the bike in sweeps, if I wanted to change line of travel. I've only put 800 miles + with no issues.

I just put 120 miles on the new tires. They were fantastic! They stopped the transmission whine, my complexion cleared up, and all the planets fell back into alignment.

On a serious note, I was duly impressed with the way they performed. I believe they are every bit as quiet as the Avons, and I had no stability problems with the narrower front. I purposely looked for road snakes and other road imperfections that would cause the tires to wander or follow the imperfections. The Michelin's seemed to be less prone to be affected by these imperfections than the Avons??? Note that I did not try them on a grooved highway or on a grated bridge, just wasn't on my route today. I did cross a number of railroad tracks, several with multiple tracks, with no problems. Finally, I got them up to about 90 mph and they seemed every bit as smooth as the Avons. So far, I'm pleased.

I've got the originals and have never noticed any tire noise in the turns.

I don't want to run the narrow front, but I do want to try the Commander II's. Trying to hold out until they start making the OEM size for the front.

Well I was thinking of going with the Shinkos. But I read several reviews today of them being on bigger heavier bike like Softails, goldwings and the like. Most said they couldnt get but 4-5K out of them. No handeling issues just short wear.

So now I'm back to what seems a box. E-3's or the Avon. The Commander II not having a front to match in oem size worries me do to the comment about mixing and matching tires from one brand to another. 20mm hmmmmm :confused24:

Well I was thinking of going with the Shinkos. But I read several reviews today of them being on bigger heavier bike like Softails, goldwings and the like. Most said they couldnt get but 4-5K out of them. No handeling issues just short wear.

So now I'm back to what seems a box. E-3's or the Avon. The Commander II not having a front to match in oem size worries me do to the comment about mixing and matching tires from one brand to another. 20mm hmmmmm :confused24:

I run different makes. Bike handles fine to me. I have an E2 on the back and a Pirelli on the front.

Just don't mix Radial and Bias, thats the rub. I put the 230 Shinko Tour Master on with the rear with a E3 on the front. No issues handled fine. Like I said Shinko handled great just short life for what they call a tour master.

Thanks. Yea I remember the rule of not mixing radials and bias ply. My thought was to maybe try the commader II on the rear being the milage has been good. Then being as the front aint that much of a pain to change if it does go 1/2 the milage, try a shinko or something. Anyone try an IRC RS 310? I was looking @ motorcycle superstore the commander 2 is $152 free shipping over 89 bucks. So this is mostly why I have shopped there for bike tires. The tread patterns trip me out. I have e 3's and they look like no center tread for wet weather. And in fact I have had a couple of oh s#its in the wet. So kind of thinking maybe a more conventional type tread. Although I have not read much good about Brigestone this one is interesting. G 526 http://images.motorcycle-superstore.com/ProductImages/300/0000-Bridgestone-G526-OE-Replacement-Rear-Tire---.jpg I ran Pirelli RT 66 before on my 900 vulcan and liked them ok, but the E3's feel better in the corner. Would water have more of a chance of loading up on this type tread ?

Kind of thought if I went with the C2 would look for something in the oem size and simular tread pattern to the C2. :confused24:

As far as mixing bias and radial tires, Yamaha does it on the Stryker and raider models. Radial rear, bias front. (Pointed out to me by FLB78 and verified at Yamaha's website) What you shouldn't do is mount a bias tire on a radial design rim and vice versa. Some where I read the bead profile is different between the two.

With respect to mixing brands, I don't think this is an issue on these bikes. You are grinding the front floor boards on these bikes long before you reach the limits of the tire. I think the steel frame flexing, suspension wallowing and other issues will rear their ugly head long before some difference in tread compounding (likely there to prevent patent lawsuits) from running different name brand tires will be a major issue.

So Far I have run the Original Commander rear with an E3 front in the stock size for 2000 miles 1300 of those on a round trip from ATL to Indy via the Dragon, Cherohola, and other twisty roads between with no ill handling. The aforementioned floorboard grinding is the most disconcerting thing I have experienced handling wise.

I am now running the original commander rear (near the wear bar in the center and need of replacement)with a Stratoliner 18" front rim and 130 70R 18 Bridgestone radial. Ran that combination last year in New England for 1100 miles also with no ill handling.

I have been looking at the new Commander II for the rear. 130 70R 18 front is the same as a Wing, and Michelin doesn't make that either. But the Avon and E3 tread patterns are very similar to the C II so I'm thinking either of those would be a good a match.

And for the disclaimer: This my personal experience YMMV. I am not an engineer of any sort, Tire, Motorcycle or other wise. I am cognizant of the lower load ratings associated with tires that aren't OEM and every one who varies from the OE tire size should as well.

RSTDdog

Originally Posted by flb_78 http://venturerider.org/forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif

I had a 130 on for a while. It was OK in town, but at highway speeds, it wanted to wanted to wander all over the lane.

While I have not had a 130 tire mounted to the stock 16" front rim, I can say that the 130 70R 18 on the 18" Stratoliner front rim on an RSTD does not wander all over the lane.

• 4 months later...

But the Avon and E3 tread patterns are very similar to the C II

I would have to say after searching most of the day the Avon Venom is probably the closest tread patter wise. The E3 center of the tire has no tread. The Michelin and the Avon Venom have some tread that crosses the center of the tire. I had myself convinced to order up the Shinkos today but I seem to be to wishy washy about it for some reason. Maybe its the folks with the low milage wear. I would try the 130 vs 150 but if I hate it I have to live with it for 10K or more.

[ATTACH]70492[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]70493[/ATTACH]