IGNORED

Fallen Gears when I removed the cover.

Guest Rev'n Ahead

Guest Rev'n Ahead

while I was taking the left cover off the engine to get to the burnt stator, the smallest (top left) and middle size gears jumped out too. I have managed to replace them into their designated places but am not sure if they, or their shaft, might have turned a bit before I got them back on. Are these, in any way, timing or otherwise sensitive to their exact rotational position? Looks they might simply be used by the started to drive the main shaft... but not sure.

I've done timing on cars with gears, chains, cogged belts, etc and the rotation of the gears is ABSOLUTELY important... is it here?

I'm afraid to try starting it in case I've messed up... please help. I'll try to get a pic tomorrow if we need it - too dark now...

Thanks

:fingers-crossed-emo

Guest Rev'n Ahead

Hey, replacing the stator and need to buy new engine oil. The bike's only got 40k (km) on her.

What would YOU recommend I use for engine oil? and, anyone know how much I need?

Thanks (i know, noob question - but I couldn't find the answer anywhere else - and I know you guys/gals know it ALL.)

Hey, replacing the stator and need to buy new engine oil. The bike's only got 40k (km) on her.

What would YOU recommend I use for engine oil? and, anyone know how much I need?

Thanks (i know, noob question - but I couldn't find the answer anywhere else - and I know you guys/gals know it ALL.)

Huhoh! He asked the oil question. Where's the popcorn? :big-grin-emoticon:

But whatever you chose it's a bit over 3.5 qts with a new filter on. Have it on the center stand and watch the sight glass. When it hit the midpoint the first time run it for a few minutes and check again. When it settles at the midpoint in the glass it's where it should be, not above or your air box gets wet.

I like 20-50 in the summer and 10-40 during the below 40 degree months. As long as its has no slick oil modifiers you should be fine. Wet clutch.... old fashion oil. Simple as that.

The oil opinions should start rolling in shorly. Make yourself a samich and grab a beverage. These can go on for days. :crackup:

Mike

Make it easy on yourself,,, go out and buy a 4 liter of good quality diesel oil,,, works for the diesels, so should be just fine in our scooters. Mine runs on it and it's got 140,000k on it,,,, the only problem it has it the thingy on top of the seat.

Shell Rotella T 15/40.....