IGNORED

Classifieds Poll

Freebird

Prefered Classified Pages  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Prefered Classified Pages

• Keep it as is.
    • Create new forum area.

Since the early days of this site, there have been folks here who have expressed the opinion that they do not like our classified area. Some have stated that they would rather have the classifieds as part of the forum and not a separate page. This poll is to allow you all to vote on this issue. Before doing so though, I would like to point out a few things that we will be giving up should we move the classifies to the forum.

1. There will be no way to hold "auctions" as are sometimes used now for St. Judes and occasionally for other reasons.

2. In order to keep it manageable, the ads in the forum will be set to expire after a pre-determined time. I'm thinking 30 days but it is open for discussion. It could be 60 or 90 days but I want to keep it to a relatively short amount of time.

3. There will be no way to "renew" an ad. The only way to renew an add will be to completely re-do the ad once it expires and is automatically deleted.

4. There will be no way to include a "buy now" feature.

5. There will be no "distance" estimate. Though it is sometimes WAY off anyway.

There are probably some other things also but basically, the area will work exactly like any other area of the forum does at this time.

So, please think about what you think would work the best and we'll go from there. As always, your comments are welcome.

That is true and is indeed an advantage. I wonder though how many people don't know that they can subscribe to one or more categories in the classifies as they are now and get email notifications to new items posted for sale or wanted.

That is true and is indeed an advantage. I wonder though how many people don't know that they can subscribe to one or more categories in the classifies as they are now and get email notifications to new items posted for sale or wanted.

Didn't know that.... Do now.. :)

OK...done. I have created a RSS feed from the classifieds that automatically checks the classifieds and posts the ads in the Links to Classifieds forum. I have it set to run every 10 minutes for now. I may change that later after we test this for a few days.

Note, you no longer need to post your ad to the forum to make sure that people see it. Once you post your ad in the classifieds, it will automatically create a new thread in the links to classifieds thread.

At the bottom of each new post is a link that says "more". clicking that link will take you to the actual ad.

We'll see how it goes. I can always remove it if people don't like it. The posts in the forum will self-delete after 30 days.

Sorry, I'm not liking the new feature either. Makes the "New Posts" section way too busy IMHO. Wouldn't be bad if they showed up in a different colour or with "For Sale" or "Wanted" in the heading. I hardly ever read the far right column to see what forum the thread is in.

Maybe it's just a growing pain and it will comm down after the initial start up.

I like the new way....with the RSS feed in the 'new posts'.

and it gives the seller (or buyer) IMMEDIATE exposure to the group..

....but what the heck do yall care what I think :p i'm still just a trial member.

a suggestion to those who post items....(if possible)

in the item description you may want to add: FS (for sale) and then list your items description

just as someone looking to buy something... WTB (want to buy) and then list what you're looking for.

That way, at a glance, in the 'new posts' feed, those perusing the titles will know what the new 'thread' is all about.

Folks, I THINK you are all forming your opinions way too quickly. Give it a chance. What you saw was that when I initially added this feature, it imported all the existing ads into that forum so it appeared to overwhelm all other posts. If it works as I expect though, it will now only import new ads as they are placed. That is usually no more than a couple a day and some days, none at all.

So, give it at least a few hours and THEN let me know if you still don't like it.

I have it set to run every 10 minutes for now. I may change that later after we test this for a few days..

What does this mean.

It checks for new adds every ten minutes and then if a new one appears it creates the new post ? If this is the case once or twice a day should work fine wouldn't it. I only come on once or twice a day so that is when I am going to get all of them anyway.

Brad

Agreed but there has to be others that have a life as well and can only get on once a day. :stirthepot:

I was thinking that it may slow down your server if it's checking and updating every 10 minutes and we know you have been having some issues about being slow for quite a while. :think:

Brad

Yes, but I think that was resolved a while back. This isn't very server intensive but if I see it causing a problem, I'll change it.

Right now, I am still awaiting feedback on whether or not people even like it. The initial responses were almost all negative but now that the initial flood of posts is over, I want to hear from folks again.