IGNORED

Mounted Wompus Rack and Trunk to RSTD

Phoneman1981

Hello Fellow RSTD riders. I mounted a Wompus Rack and aftermarket trunk to my 05 RSTD last night. Installation was quite simple. I have not had time to ride yet and need my wife to pass judgement on the comfortability. I will let you know what my thoughts are in a day or so. Ride safe!!!

Hello Fellow RSTD riders. I mounted a Wompus Rack and aftermarket trunk to my 05 RSTD last night. Installation was quite simple. I have not had time to ride yet and need my wife to pass judgement on the comfortability. I will let you know what my thoughts are in a day or so. Ride safe!!!

These boys can get brutal with out pictures! :yikes:

You best feed them something to keep them in line. LOL

Some don't read as gooder as duz. :crying::crying:

The "old timers" around here used to describe anything that was hard to handle as being "Wild as a Wompus Kitty".

Now, I have never personally seen a Wompus Kitty, much less tried to handle one, but I can't imagine trying to put one on a rack.

PS. She didn't really take my Wompus, I don't think I ever had one.

As you can tell, I have no idea what a Wompus Rack is.

Sorry about the assumption that the wompas might have been yours. I guess when she became your ex and left it became someone elses! Although that really is none of my damn business!!! LOL!!!! Just trying to get this image outta my mind!

Hey follow the rules where is the pic of it mounted on your bike.

Joe :thumbsup:

Oh........!? That's what a wompas is! Popped that booble, no offense dmoff1698! Any chance of seeing it on your bike?

Never been called a codger! Actually like that!!!

Oh THAT Wompus Rack!!!!

Why didn't you just say so!!!!!:doh:

Really, I can see that would be useful for a lot of things. Mount a trunk or just use as is.

Maybe mount a third seat (backward of course so someone can drag their feet in case of brake failure).:rotfl:

• 6 years later...

Did you research other manufacturers of racks other than Wompus? Were you able to save the original Yamaha mounting hardware on the bike or did you have to convert to Wompus system? I'm interested in converting the rear rack back to the Yamaha quick disconnect when the time comes to sell the bike. Thanks for everyone's replies.

I put one on my V Star 1300 and mounted an aftermarket trunk to it and it worked great, Wompus makes a great aftermarket rack and easy as pie to install.

V star ebay 016.jpg

V star ebay 015.jpg

V star ebay 024.jpg

V star ebay 006.jpg

Did you research other manufacturers of racks other than Wompus? Were you able to save the original Yamaha mounting hardware on the bike or did you have to convert to Wompus system? I'm interested in converting the rear rack back to the Yamaha quick disconnect when the time comes to sell the bike. Thanks for everyone's replies.

Since you successfully dredged up a 7 year old thread, you are obviously familiar with the search function :). There are more threads with pics on the subject of trunks on RSTD in the forum here dedicated to the RSTD. In addition to the wompus rack, the two most common methods for putting a trunk on the RSTD is to buy the trunk mount from a Royal Star Venture from a bike salvage site like Pinwall Cycles. You can some times get the Venture trunk mount and trunk, but the undamaged venture trunks are expensive. When I had my RSTD, I bought the venture trunk mount and installed a HD tour pack. Installing the venture trunk mount on an RSTD requires either also purchasing the venture mounting rails (on the fender) or removal of the Quick disconnect mounting pins from the RSTD fender rails. The quick disconnect pins are located where the front stays for the Venture mount bolts on. My work around for this was after carefully removing the pins (they are tack welded to the back side of the rail) I installed a plate nut with epoxy to the back side of the rail. I had stainless metric plate nuts salvaged from an old yamaha waverunner steering arm with the correct thread pitch and diameter. You can't reallly weld a nut unless you want to sacrifice the chrome finish. I then tig welded threads to the quick disconnect pins. When the trunk mount wasn't installed, I threaded the locking Pins back in to the holes to use the quick disconnect back rest.

The other option is to buy a used quick disconnect backrest, tough to find but they are out there, and cut it down and weld a trunk mount to it. This is the quickest way to shift between trunk and backrest and retain the stock Yamaha mount. I know At least one person here has done that and there should be pictures somewhere.

On edit: I used to have some albums or galleries here with pics of the various mods on my bike, but I don't see them in my profile anymore and since the website changeover not sure where they are.

Edited by RSTDdog

• 3 weeks later...

Just installed a Wompus Rack on my 2005 RSTD, with no installation issue at all except dealing with a single rusted bolt to remove the original Yamaha backrest assembly.

However, as special note for Canadians who order anything from the United States and have it shipped into Canada. Be prepared to have the shipment delayed while the parcel is in Canadian Customs for inspection and then for the calculation of HST which will be payable by you. This is one of the down-sides of living in "The Great White North".