IGNORED

Starting NOT in neutral

EDITED FOR CLARITY.....First....I'm talking about my 83 VR, No cruise

my bike will only start when in neutral. What a PITA!!!!

I have the heel/toe shifter with some "slop" .... it seems really tricky to find neutral.

So while everyone else is 1/2 mile down the road...I'm still fumbling trying to get my ride started!:mad::mad::mad:

Every other bike I have ever owned would start as long as the clutch in...regardless of if it was in gear or in neutral!

The kick stand switch works because if I kick it into gear when the stand it down it shuts the bike down. The stand indicator on the LCD screen doesn't show but that graphic does show when it cycles thru when I first turn on the key.

Is there some mod I can do to let it start even if the bike is in gear as long as the clutch is in? (and side stand up)

I would hope to still allow the neutral indicator to operate.

I"m not real good at electrics...so if there is any fix...I would appreciate any explaination to be in simple terms for us simple people.:starz:

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Trader

The Venture was designed to start in neutral or it will start in gear if a) the clutch is pulled in and... b) the kickstand is up.

If both of the if conditions are met when you're trying to start the bike, I would suspect you have a faulty kickstand switch. It wouldn't be the first to fail.

Dave

A "trick" I used to get my '85 into neutral was to apply a little upward pressure to the shifter (assuming it's in 1st) and then rock the bike a bit. Dunno why but those 1st gens are like that... my '87 was too but a bit easier.

It should start when in gear if the kickstand is up.

When parking on a level surface, or close to a level surface, the second to the last thing I do is move the tranny to neutral. That way, I am a 1/2 mile down the road and everyone else is playing catch-up.

c'mon... don't keep us in suspense ... what's the last thing? :scratchchin:

A "trick" I used to get my '85 into neutral was to apply a little upward pressure to the shifter (assuming it's in 1st) and then rock the bike a bit. Dunno why but those 1st gens are like that... my '87 was too but a bit easier.

Interesting. My 88 is one of the smoothest shifting bikes I have owned over the past 45 years. However, it also is touchy to find neutral. In may case, I put it in 1st and let out the clutch just enough to inch foreword and then try to shift into neutral. It usually just slips into neutral with a light touch on the shifter.

kickstand switch must be good because if the stand is down and I put it in gear it shuts off.

Not necessarliy. There are 2 separate switches inside the module, aqnd one set of contacts may be working but the other set may not be. There is 3 wires coming in/out of the switch, 1 common ground, and the other 2 are closed with the kickstand up. You must read near zero ohms, not 7 or 12 or anything above less than 1 ohm.

Also, maybe your clutch switch is bad, the connector may be lose or coroded. Find the wires and with the clutch depressed, you should see a short, and with the clutch off an open circuit...

It is your clutch switch. If you run your hand under the master cylinder, right where the clutch switch mounts, you will feel a small hole. Take a phillips head screw driver, insert it in that hole and push in. While pushing in, pull the clutch switch out. Soak it good with WD40 while working the little button in and out, this will give it good cleaning. Then re-insert the switch. This should alow you to start while in gear.

It's a pain, and embarassing to kill it as the light turns green. And you can't find neutral.

is "the little button" supposed to be spring loaded?? I loosened it up...but there is no spring action to it at all.

I don't know if you have cruise on your bike but the clutch switch does 2 things. First when the bike in running and the clutch all the way out it will allow the cruise to work. Second when the clutch is pulled in you can start in gear. There is not a spring on the switch it is a push button switch. Normally out can be pushed in. The spring on there is behind the clutch lever and it pushes the lever out to push the clutch switch in for the cruise to work. I am not sure how you test this; however, if it is not setting all the way into the connector it will not work.