IGNORED

Helmets: you get what you pay for.

Owen

Web Bike Worlds article on customer satisfaction for helmets seems to show 'you get what you pay for'. Having owned HJC, Nolan, Fulmer and Scorpion, I guess I fall into that category. The scorpion is by far the best I have worn.

What do you think?

The report is linked on the right side or click here.

:322:

Web Bike Worlds article on customer satisfaction for helmets seems to show 'you get what you pay for'. Having owned HJC, Nolan, Fulmer and Scorpion, I guess I fall into that category. The scorpion is by far the best I have worn.

What do you think?

The report is linked on the right side or click here.

:322:

Bought my $125 HJC full face helmet when I bought my bike in 05. Been happy enough with it. No major issues besides its hot in the Texas summer heat, but aren't they all.

I've been down in good ones and bad ones. I don't think the high dollar ones are worth that much more. Being DOT or Snell approved is important. I thing fit is more important than anything besides WEARING IT!!! Flip or Full Faced is the only way to go for me.

I'm not all that impressed with JD Power surveys. Their reports on satisfaction with computer support have been skewed. Knowledgeable people with serious unresolved issues tend to get out voted by weenies with easy to resolve Windows function issues. Not sure how this will translate to helmet satisfaction, but I'm suspicious of anything they say.

FWIW I have an HJC FS-15 Carbon and love it. Light weight and comfortable. Not cheap but worth the expense. I won't hesitate to buy another HJC full face carbon when I need another helmet.

Interesting survey I guess. I now wear an Arai and have for several years, had two in the last 10 years. They are a little hard to get use to but I like them a lot. Shoei before the Arai's and I wore that thing way past it's usefulness. And a full face Bell Wedge before that.

BOO

Went in to get a smoked screen for my Fulmer and walked out with a Scorpion @ 40% off!! It was a special order and the guy ordered the wrong size. I like this one better, better fit. I wear a 3/4 in summer and a full face in winter, something about those 90 degree days :D

• 1 year later...

A couple of years ago, I was shopping for a new helmet. I went to all of the local dealerships. However, I felt pretty dumb, when I walked into my local Harley dealership. I can't speak about all Harley dealerships, but evidently the customers at my local Harley shop do not put a high value on their heads! Not one full face helmet in the store. And there were stickers inside most of the "mini" helmets, stating "for novelty purposes only". What is the "novelty purpose" of a helmet??? Maybe for people who only use their brains for "novelty purposes"??

Rather then starting a new thread I thought I'd throw this in here. I came across the site of http://nexx-usa.com/Scripts/default.asp for helmets. Not cheap, but some seem more unique then what's out there already. I personally like the X30.

Not sure why but that link doesn't work from my PC so here's where it redirects to...

http://nexxcanada.com/

...and another link ...

http://nexx-usa.com/Scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=24

.. and yet more... http://www.nexx-helmets.com/home.aspx

Edited by SilvrT

I'm not all that impressed with JD Power surveys.

Steve,

I feel the same about Consumer Reports when it comes to cars. I will say overall their reports tend to hate GM. I have owned several GM cars some w/ no issues and 1 or 2 w/ small issues that most people say who cares. I have had a couple Ford cars that 1 gave favorable reviews and 1 was even recommended. Both ended up being junk with electrical issues. Maybe a classic Mustang or something like that one day, but for me I have no plans to ever buy a Ford product again.

If the helmet is DOT/SNELL approved fit is more important than price. Finding a helmet that is comfortable is the #1 consideration. That said my Dad said if you have a $20 head buy a $20 helmet; if your head is worth more spend the money. Rod

I had an old E K Premier that I wore from 1968 into the 1990's, when I finially figured out it was probably long passed its prime.:whistling::confused24:.Anyway I replaced it with an HJC 3/4 that was very comfortable then a Symax 1 not quite so comfortable then a cheap Bell FFR that is the most comfortable helmet I have ever had.It was DOT approved cost $85.00 and saved my life when I went down in March of 2011.I had worn that helmet for 3 years and really enjoyed it.Next was an HJC Symax 2 comfortable not cheap but it also saved my life when I went down in June 2011.I now have an HJC flip front not a Symax but I don't remember what it is called.It was on closeout at Jake Wilson so I got to try it on. It was pretty cheap, DOT approved, and getting more comfortable as I break it in.I like flip fronts but I find them to be more comfortable and quieter if I remove the face shield and just use dark safety glasses.

Edited by Pegasus1300
additions

Rather then starting a new thread I thought I'd throw this in here. I came across the site of http://nexx-usa.com/Scripts/default.asp for helmets. Not cheap, but some seem more unique then what's out there already. I personally like the X30.

That link doesn't work if you click it... lets try this one.

http://nexx-usa.com/Scripts/default.asp