OK, I've looked through http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=48542 but have a few questions.

I just got my 89 and the leak from the front right is fork is getting worse and worse. I know I need to replace the seal, so where do I get that from? I found the thread with how to replace it, but I'm wondering if I should get Progressives as well? The CLASS system seems to function and hold air. If I do that what additional parts do I need?

I can follow directions but don't understand what I need or how to do it on my own (if that makes any sense).

Thanks in advance!

I have always used oem Yamaha fork seals when I have replaced any, that what I suggest. As far as doing the progressives...yes, do it, your talking about springs that are 21 years old and they should be replaced.

Hi,

I also only use genuine Yamaha fork seals. I learned this the hard way.

I also make it policy to change the top bushing while I have things apart. The parts aren't very expensive (also genuine Yamaha) and I like the peace of mind. As I understand it if the bushing is worn, then extra forces are put on the seal that they are not intended to withstand. (I have also been tempted to change the lower bushing too but have never actually done so.)

The upper bushing part I am talking about is referred to as:

5-42 3JJ-23125-00-00 METAL, SLIDE 1

and the lower bushing part is referrred to as:

36-73 3JJ-23171-00-00 PISTON, front fork

at http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/parts/home.aspx

in the front fork parts list.

Hope this helps.

Brian H.

Edited by 6m459
additional detail

Not necessary to change the bushings unless they are worn, and it's easy to tell. On the other hand it's a nuisance to tear the forks apart then have to wait for bushings to come in. As stated, they're relatively inexpensive - I'd just have the parts on hand and do them.

I almost always use aftermarket seals. I've never had a problem with them and they are about 1/4 the price of Yamaha (which probably come from the same tooling anyhow).

In fact, I have one set of seals in stock. Use the coupon code "VentureRider" at check out and they're $9.80 (for a pair!) Thunder Valley Powersports Store. Yamaha seals are $18.44 apiece from a discount online seller.

Edited by MiCarl

I also found myself faced with the same question, sky_doc17 turned me on to the progressive spring solution. trust me when I say "its the Best thing you can do for your front end". I did the seals and the springs. it was not that hard to do and I now only run 2lbs of air. 5 if i am riding 2 up. the difference is unbelievable. I will now put them an all my bikes. BTW I used the OEM seals but not sure if that would have been any different if I had used aftermarket. I just did not want to do the job over if it did not last. I have an 83 so I'm not sure if the part numbers would be the same as yours , but as MI_Carl has the seals ,that's a good deal.

good luck , and let us know how it turns out for ya.

Yes!! Progressive Springs !!!!!!!! I used aftermarket seals, they did not last very long.

Re-installed OEM Seals, so far so good.

The difference between Progressive Springs, and OEM, is Day and Night !!!!!

You will be happy with them