IGNORED

what have I done

Woody

I ordered my nexen c/t and got size 165/80 15, took my tire off the bike and I see it is a 150/90 B15. what differance will it make, where did I get that size from? oh what have I done?

I ordered my nexen c/t and got size 165/80 15, took my tire off the bike and I see it is a 150/90 B15. what differance will it make, where did I get that size from? oh what have I done?

You done good!

:starz: I finally found someone that would mount it and at about 80 psi it blew, opened up the bead and the sidewall :crying:

That stinks. That was one reason I bought mine from Discount Tire. They mounted it for me no problem.

ok, here is the problem I ordered the tire from a local tire shop, but carried it to a local bike shop to get it mounted. should i try to get the tire shop to replace it or the bike shop that tried to mount it?:scratchchin:

ok, here is the problem I ordered the tire from a local tire shop, but carried it to a local bike shop to get it mounted. should i try to get the tire shop to replace it or the bike shop that tried to mount it?:scratchchin:

I hate to say this, but I doubt either will honor it. @ 80 psi, it exceeded the recommended air pressure for seating and I can't believe they will replace it. I know guys have talked about seating these tires with 75 to 110 lbs of pressure, that is nuts! I have never used that much pressure to mount any tire in my life. If it doesn't seat after about 55 lbs, let the air out and break it down and re lube it, try again and keep doing that as it will stretch the tire. I know others have talked about leaving it set in the sun for a few hours at it will expand from the heat and be easier for it to seat

:2cents:

I would think that the guy putting air in it would have to cover it. I hope someone does. but then they may want to blame it on being a c/t on m/c rim. :scratchchin:

From a liability standpoint your second statement rings true, it's not "designed" for that. The 1st part....there are a LOT of dumb people who pretend to know what they are doing and shouldn't be touching anything. I'd be willing to wager that 90% of the people that do work on tires have never seen a tire blow up. If they did, they would NEVER put that much air in them. I hope you get some sort of resolution out of it all.

I have the same Nexen tire mounted and have a hard time believing that it blew at 80psi. What does it mean that it opened up the bead and the sidewall ?

As far a one of the guys being responsible? Not a chance. In fact, I'd say that your'e lucky to find someone to even mount a car tire on a motorcycle rim.

BTW, I mounted my own.

Good luck on your next adventure.

Steve

I have the same Nexen tire mounted and have a hard time believing that it blew at 80psi. What does it mean that it opened up the bead and the sidewall ?

As far a one of the guys being responsible? Not a chance. In fact, I'd say that your'e lucky to find someone to even mount a car tire on a motorcycle rim.

BTW, I mounted my own.

Good luck on your next adventure.

Steve

As I said earlier, I bought my tire from Discount Tire, took my wheel with me and told them it was for my sidecar. They told me that if it would fit on their machine they would mount it. Had no problems.

Steve

The bead with steel in it that seals against the rim broke and about three inches up the side wall. Made a h*** of a noise.

On bearing's we put part in the freezer to shrink them and the other is heated up.

So has anyone tried to put the wheel in the freezer or an ice chest with dry ice to shrink it and lay the tire in the sun for a couple of hours to expand it?:think: might work?

I have a wheel on the way and will buy a CT when I get back from vacation and will try it.

If it still don't seat at a low pressure I will probably turn the rim down a few thousands.

I feel that a high seat pressure may cause belt damage, separation and/or not seating straight that causes the dreaded wobbles that some have had problems with

The bead with steel in it that seals against the rim broke and about three inches up the side wall. Made a h*** of a noise.

That sounds like either a defective tire or improper mounting procedure that damaged the bead.

That bead wire should not just break.

It sounds like between the installer and the supplier might both be at fault here.

I would start by taking the tire back to the store and show them the separated bead. That may get a replacement, or they may know what that failure looks like from over inflation. It can't hurt to ask.

With stubborn tires I have just added a LOT of lube to help it slide in to the seat.

When I was racing stock cars we used to up the air pressure to about 60psi, on a tire rated for 35psi max, to PERMANENTLY expand the tire for adjusting the stagger on the car. At 80+ pressures you have to be damaging the tire.

the guy that blew my tire out said he would order me a tire and let me have it at cost, I said great check on a me880. he looked it up and claims his cost is 189.95, I know they are high but I can order one for less. the superstore has them for 159.99 :icon_smile_question

the guy that blew my tire out said he would order me a tire and let me have it at cost, I said great check on a me880. he looked it up and claims his cost is 189.95, I know they are high but I can order one for less. the superstore has them for 159.99 :icon_smile_question

Be careful with that Metzler and make sure it's a German one and not one made in Brazil. Lots of problems with members here having the tire come apart while riding.

Be careful with that Metzler and make sure it's a German one and not one made in Brazil. Lots of problems with members here having the tire come apart while riding.

The metz is the reason I WENT to the darkside.