IGNORED

Radiator repairs......anybody had it done?

Ok......nice afternoon......sun came out.....time to finish up a few things and check over some of the work I've done on the old girl before I put the bodywork back on.

When I first pulled the lower chin off a while back there was a LOT of antifreeze in there. OK, not a biggie, check the bypass valve. Not bad I figurered......drips every winter a bit. I put in a new o-ring last year and thought that would take care of it.

Not the o-ring.

I got her outside and let it warm up pretty good. Everything was looking good. No oil leaks, running smooth, it's a good day.

Then I see the steam coming off the left side of the radiator. Not bad, just a wisp. Not acceptable. Got to looking and saw a wet spot at the bottom left corner. Tighened the hose clamp at the top to make sure it was dripping down the side. Nope.

Pressure checked it and it's seeping at the lower corner alright. If I didn't have the bodywork off I never would have noticed it. It's not dripping, just boils off.

So.........rather than scramble on eBay for another radiator....which may be better or worse than mine......I'm looking at pulling it and taking it to a radiator shop and have them go through it.

Anybody had good luck with this type of approach?

Or does anybody have a good radiator they want to part with?

Man I was sooooo close to going for a ride.

I have had cage radiators rodded out, or if rotten, re-cored. They should be able to do the same with yours.

or...

You could take it off, and clean it real well where the spot is, and solder or braze the hole yourself...done that too.

Aluma-seal would probably take care of it, but I would probably be leary of putting it in a bike radiator.

Good luck!!

I'm not even going to try to do this one myself. Most certainly not in my current skill set. No desire to experiment on mine. LOL!

Not a fan of sealants either unless it's a crisis situation and need to get a vehicle home.

Kinda want this one to be right the first time.

Guest seuadr

haven't repaired any radiators, but i've repeared several condensors for a/c and refrigeration systems. the pressures are much MUCH higher in that situation, so i can't imagine that any moderately skilled radiator shop should have any problem brasing it up. could even have the whole thing hot dipped to help add a layer of protection to any other areas that may be leaking through.

:happy34:

Let me know what you find out, Mike. I was looking at the little puddle of antifreeze on the floor today, and it's coming from the top right corner of the radiator, up by the cap. I'll have to pull the plastic cover off to see better, but it's definitely wet. Just something else to fix!! :starz::mad::starz::mad:

Had mine repaired on my 99 about 3 years ago because an ignition switch bolt had gotten down between the cooling fan shroud and the frame and had rubbed a hole in the radiator. It's held up well and hasn't given me a speck of trouble.