IGNORED

Tank Venting Update?

What is a deadblow? I have a huge hammer :whistling: and a small mallet

that you would pound stakes into the ground with.

I also will be draining my tank as I have more top secret things to do on

the underside of it. and I was thinking of doing it outside in the snow :D

BOOM!

I drained my tank blow it out with air and brought it to the back

of my truck tail gate in the snow. shoved a shop towel in the hole

all around under the bottom filler. and punched aways! and I did not

blow_up ! :happy65: I did 5 holes. all done! I did tell my wife if she hears

a small explosion to maybe call 911 :D I got a strange look from her.

Jeff

Was considering on doing the hole punch thing this week as shown.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=302

So now that this has been a while how are folks doing with this

mod?

My tank is already removed anyway so I myself will give it a shot!

Jeff (BOOM) :D

I put 6 holes in mine last fall. Used a very sharp punch and a big ball pean hammer. Be sure to cover the tank with something in case you slip and miss the punch. Oh yea, might be a good idea to wear gloves too!! Haven't got all my thumbnail back yet!

Now I can fill her all the way up and go farther between fillups. Before this was done I was going about 150-160 miles before having to go to reserve. Now I'm going about 180-200 miles before having to go to reserve. And yea, I was scared to death about getting a spark when doing this. Probably why I hit my thumb, TWICE!!!!!Funny now, wasn't funny then.

Since I'm a Safety guy in my job, I will caution you on doing this mode. Use none sparking tools, it would be better with tank filled. If you empty the tank, I would suggest dropping some dry Ice in the tank, the ice will fill the tank with Co2 and expail any flammable vapors. Just my 2 cents:fireman:

Since I'm a Safety guy in my job, I will caution you on doing this mode. Use none sparking tools, it would be better with tank filled. If you empty the tank, I would suggest dropping some dry Ice in the tank, the ice will fill the tank with Co2 and expail any flammable vapors. Just my 2 cents:fireman:

Thanks, that's a good idea, for next time!

I wonder if being 15 degs outside would be a help factor? (fumes)

I empty tank for another project and I figured I would go ahead with it

but really blew it out very well and I did do it in very cold weather.

It also seemed that when I shoved the red shop rag into the tank

and blocked of the rest of the tank below and then stuck my nose in

the filler I could not smell a thing. anyways. I think you have a great idea!

And I am very happy I made it through this project with my face and hand

still in-tacked! :D I always hate doing projects like this . but t is done with

a good ending.

Gasoline is BOILING (Vaporizing) at ANY temperature above NEGATIVE 200 Degrees F!

so doing it on a "cold day" :cold:doesn't buy you any additional safety factor. To minimize the "Sparking Problem" cut a piece of wax paper (regular wax paper from the kitchen) and place it between the punch and the gas tank. Even extra safety would be to put a small piece on the head of the punch. While servicing fuel tanks from fighter jets (jet fuel, enough said) we drip candle wax on hammer heads, punch heads and use a LOT of wax paper. This mod has a HIGH pucker factor, but once you have done it, you find yourself saying to yourself, "that wasn't so bad". Unless of course you're running around the yard in a ball of flames!:sign just kidding:

Use the wax paper, you'll be fine!

Earl

I bought a new punch just for the job; I had a dead blow hammer. I filled my tank to minimize vapors. I backed the bike outside (no need to burn down the house!) and asked my wife to check on me in 5 minutes or if she heard something. I think it took less than a minute for 3 holes.

Dave

OK, I've read the original thread on this as well as all the posts here .... I can't understand what y'all are talking about. I've never experienced this issue about air escaping and bubbling gas out and have not had a problem filling the tank to the top... am I missing something?

I will say that when I do fill up, I run the gas in slowly once it gets close to the top...maybe that's the difference?

Oh yeah... I just remembered...you guys in the US have very different gas pump nozzles than we do up here and I now recall it was always a PITA using them.

OK, I've read the original thread on this as well as all the posts here .... I can't understand what y'all are talking about. I've never experienced this issue about air escaping and bubbling gas out and have not had a problem filling the tank to the top... am I missing something?

Rick: I was thinking the same thing - especially from reading the initial thread on this (a ways back) until 'Travelin Man' 's comment [below]

Before this was done I was going about 150-160 miles before having to go to reserve. Now I'm going about 180-200 miles before having to go to reserve.

I find myself needing to switch to reserve around 160 or so when I am doing all 'around town' type driving and closer to 175ish when I'm out for a real ride. So this has me intrigued.

My only real concern about this process is how to get all of the 'extra' metal out of the tank so it doesn't go through the fuel system after you do the mod. Maybe someone could provide some insight on that... :detective:

Should not be any metal in the tank from punching.

I think you would if you drilled.

Beside, you have one filter inside the tank and one out side

if there happened to be any at all.

When I did mine today , mine was already emptied. and I had

a towel inside the tank just below the filler neck

and I saw no debris from the punching at all after taking it out..

No partials on the rag as well.

Aha. Good to know. I had forgotten about the filter in the tank (I knew about the fuel filter in the system, of course).

Thanks! :thumbsup2:

I might need to buzz out and pick up a punch and some wax paper now :smile5:

Under no circumstances use any kind of electric drill(cord or cordless) for this process!!! I know that Cougar knows better, just wanted to make sure everyone knows this!!!!!