IGNORED

Kury Iso grip cracked

1BigDog

Stood the bike up today and the left grip cracked in my hand. Called Kuryakyn customer service. All they did was to offer to sell me a replacement grip along with shipping costs. I have never seen one of these grips crack.

Im just curious if anyone here ever had that happed to them.

One of mine did, but I was holding on as hard as I could to keep from dropping

the new Valkryie I had bought with all that glorious chrome, as I was getting

ready to T-Bone an oncoming left turn!

The cracked grip on the throttle side tore the hell outta my hand, the only

spot I drew blood in the whole incident!:Avatars_Gee_George:

I'd call again. Perhaps you'll get a better response. If not, realize that you are talking with someone too low on the Totem Pole to make a difference or know how. Talk to someone at a management level, and let them know that you are 1. surprised such a thing would happen with their typically-fine gear and 2. you have the voice of this Forum, which represents many already and future customers.

I have always thought that if someone says "no" to me that what they are really saying is "I don't know". Then it becomes my duty to help them find out what they don't know...

:innocent:

TERRY

Wow, that stinks...

Two questions:

1) How long have you had them?

2) Does the manufacturer (kury...) list any type of warranty on them?

Looks like their Warranty policy is ~ 1 year

LIMITED WARRANTY

Küryakyn warrants that any Küryakyn products sold

hereunder, shall be free of defects in materials and

workmanship for a period of one (1) year from the

date of purchase by the consumer excepting the following

provisions:

• Küryakyn shall have no obligation in the event

the customer is unable to provide a receipt showing

the date the customer purchased the product(s).

• The product must be properly installed,

maintained and operated under normal conditions.

• Küryakyn makes no warranty, expressed or

implied, with respect to any gold plated products.

• Küryakyn shall not be liable for any consequential

and incidental damages, including labor and

paint, resulting from failure of a Küryakyn product,

failure to deliver, delay in delivery, delivery in nonconforming

condition, or for any breech of contract or

duty between Küryakyn and a customer.

• Küryakyn products are often intended for use

in specific applications. Küryakyn makes no

warranty if a Küryakyn product is used in

applications other than intended.

• Küryakyn electrical products are warranted for one

(1) year from the date of purchase by the consumer.

Components of Küryakyn products containing L.E.D.s

will be warranted for defects in materials and

workmanship for 3 years from the date of purchase.

• Küryakyn makes no warranty of any kind in regard

to other manufacturer’s products distributed by

Küryakyn. Küryakyn will pass on all warranties made

by the manufacturer and where possible, will expedite

the claim on behalf of the customer,

but ultimately, responsibility for disposition of the

warranty claim lies with the manufacturer.

Edited by LilBeaver
Added warranty information

Went ahead and ordered a new left grip. 39.00 plus shipping. Cant really argue with them, the warranty ran out 4 years ago. It kinda works out since I had wanted to split the housing to clean the PTT connections for the CB anyway. Now I have an excuse to do so. :smile5:

My left one was a little loose and it would slip down a little every once in a while and one time I was moving the bike around and sure enough it broke just like yours. But a very nice guy here on the forum happen to have an extra one and he sent it to me... no charge.... Great guy that ECK.. I shouldn't say his name, he has a hard time finding a helmet large enough to fit the way it is......

Mine are several years old, probably 6 or so and I notice they are pitting from the sweat I presume but I really like them so when the time comes I will buy another set..... You might check on Ebay, they are for sale once in a while, some people don't like them I guess.

BOO

Here's a copy of the email I sent to two different addys at Kuryakyn. Lets see how they will respond.

Kuryakyn

P.O. Box 339

Somerset, WI 54025 USA

1/28/10

RE: Product # 6235

Replacement part # 606236L

About June 2005 I purchased a set of your ISO grips along with a few other Kuryakyn products for my 1999 Yamaha Royal Star Venture touring bike.

On 1/25/10 while I was seated on my bike, raising it off its side stand, the left ISO grip cracked off in my hand. The only thing holding it in place was the rubber insert. I called tech support who said that since it is out of warranty all they would do is replace the left grip at my expense. When I went to order it I was charged full retail plus shipping. No one seemed too concerned that something that should be considered a safety item cracked while I was on the bike. I’m just glad that I wasn’t riding two up on the Interstate when this happened attachment.php?attachmentid=40732&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1264440777

While I do realize that there is a warranty period and I did exceed it, something as dangerous as having one of your grips crack apart on a bike only tells me that there is a serious flaw with your product. Tech Support’s lack of concern also alarmed me a bit. Let me assure you that this bike has never been dropped or damaged in any way. I posted my concerns on several other large motorcycle forums and was surprised to find that I was not the only one experiencing this issue. As far as a resolution goes I feel that at the very least your company should have stood behind its product and either covered it under some sort of a goodwill gesture or at least offered it at cost. $47.00 sure was a lot of money to replace what I feel is a defective part. That amount was almost 60% of a new pair of grips.

Hoping to hear from your company on this issue.

Thank you

Jeffrey Koppelman

Didn't I read somewhere that you can't use the OEM weights?? And from the pics it looks like there isn't any support under the section that broke off??? I thought the grips were stainless, usually pretty tough stuff... I have a set of the same design highway pegs on the '83 and the '93. With my clod hoppers maybe I should start getting worried???

Didn't I read somewhere that you can't use the OEM weights?? And from the pics it looks like there isn't any support under the section that broke off??? I thought the grips were stainless, usually pretty tough stuff... I have a set of the same design highway pegs on the '83 and the '93. With my clod hoppers maybe I should start getting worried???

They give you a spacer that you have to cut to make up the difference inside. It looks like it broke where that spacer meets the bar. Not a very good design obviously. Not in a milion years would I have thought about this grip cracking like it did.

Stood the bike up today and the left grip cracked in my hand. Called Kuryakyn customer service. All they did was to offer to sell me a replacement grip along with shipping costs. I have never seen one of these grips crack.

Im just curious if anyone here ever had that happed to them.

No not the left grip but I have went through 3 throttle grips due to the cable attachment tips breaking off in 2 months. Not a tension problem--- IMHO--- POOR QUALITY ITEM. I called Kuryakyn and they are warrantied..GOOD LUCK...

I had a set on my Venture and they were on there for at least 4 years with not one problem.

In fact, they weren't even broke after my nasty accident.

I really liked the feel of them for they fit my hands / grip very well. My fingers never got numb but I didn't have the stock weights installed, I had the Eck Stend A Grips installed and they were much heavier then the stock weights.

I am looking at installing them on my Gold Wing...:thumbsup2:

Left grip showed up today. They forgot to pack the spacer and tube of glue, which was listed on the invoice. Called them up and all they suggested was that I buy some Super Glue Gel myself and dig out the old spacer from the broken grip. I bit my tongue and hung up. It just wasnt worth it. Got too much other stuff going on right now to worry about this. I realize its not a biggie but it was just aggravating. And no, I didnt expect them to kiss my arse for the business but a little more nicer customer service would have been nice.

Oh, yea, they never bothered to respond to my e-mail either.....

On a positive note: I managed to take apart my PTT switch which stopped working about 2 years ago....it now works!! (now all I need are some headsets):smile5:

Heard back from Kury. Standard answer.

To: kaleb1bigdog@bellsouth.net

Sent: Tue, February 2, 2010 10:37:51 AM

Subject: FW: defective ISO grips

Hi Jeffrey,

I am very sorry to hear of the trouble you have had with one of our grips. Since your grips are 4-1/2 years old, it is very hard for us to offer any warranty/replacements for them. In that amount of time, the grips can be subjected to many, many things. We feel that by offering single grips for sale we are offering a customer service by giving them an alternative to purchasing a complete set of grips. I am sorry I don't have a better answer for you. Thank you.

PLEASE INCLUDE PREVIOUS MESSAGE WITH REPLY

Ali K. │ Customer Care Supervisor

P: 866.277.9598 x170 │ F: 715.247.5007

amk@kuryakyn.comwww.kuryakyn.com

I really did not expect anything different than the answer you provided. Grips are not a wear item. They help control the bike. As such they should not just break apart. I do understand your company not knowing whether I actually did or did not do any damage to them prior to this issue. I can assure you that no damage was done prior to the break. And yes, while I do appreciate the offering of a single grip, to do so at full retail for what I consider a product failure was not in the best interest of good customer relations. I did receive my grip and according to the packing list there should have been a spacer and a tube of glue included. These items were not included. I had to drive 15 miles round trip to get a tube of glue and a section of PVC at a cost of 8.00 additional to finish the repair. I did call tech support on the missing items and their recommendations were to just go out and buy a tube of glue. Lack of concern for the customer nowadays seems to be the norm. Ill have to seriously reconsider buying any future Kuryakyn products and will post this on my club forum as well.

Sorry, I dont have a better answer for you as well

Jeff