IGNORED

Take A Spare Key

Ky. Rider

Yep I have a spare key; and I keep money in my heavy gloves (with me year round) in the zipper compartment that holds the waterproof pullover mitten. Best to be prepared as much as possible. Nice tips here. Thanks all.

Jack Z

:Venture::7_6_3[1]: Yep, gang, let's ride in any direction except .... UP too soon, and NEVER down!

Well, when traveling away from home, you may need more than just a spare key - if you get robbed or loose your wallet, you need an emergency way to pay for gas and stuff!

I recommend you stash BOTH a spare key AND a spare credit card somewhere on the bike. Make sure it is a card you do NOT carry in your wallet, since it will do you no good if you have to cancel all your other cards.

I won't reveal where I keep mine, but on a 2nd gen a safe place for this would simply be to put them in a ziplock and stuff it behind the battery - easy access with just removing the two seat nuts. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Hey goose were do you keep your bike. just curious :hurts:

Ummmm....... Isn't that UNDER THE LOCKED ACCESS DOOR????

I know this is an old post Steve but all questions deserve an answer. Better late than never...

The fuel access doors are keyed on the MKI's (83-85) and The gas cap is keyed on the MKII's (86-93)

only if the dealer lets you have the old ignition. They gave me some story about having to send it back to Yama mama. so I did the double sided cut thing.

This is probably true if they did warranty work.

If you paid for the work, and the parts, then the parts removed are yours, and they should be returned to you if you ask.

I know this is an old post Steve but all questions deserve an answer. Better late than never...

The fuel access doors are keyed on the MKI's (83-85) and The gas cap is keyed on the MKII's (86-93)

Nope my 85 door isnt keyed, its like the mk11's, just my gas cap is keyed.

Brian

I wonder why my '85 has the 86 - 93 combo described above . . . :detective:

(oops, I guess I should have read the whole thread before jumping in!)

• 2 months later...

[quote name=Good thing if you you have to have a new ignition switch installed, you can cut one side for the bags and then the other for the switch. This way you still carry/use one key.

MIKE aka Uturn

:Venture:[/quote]

Can I do this to the key for my RSTD and how do you what side to cut?