IGNORED

I'm Sorry! I Cannot Be Silent About This!

autopilot

Right this instant, I cannot put into words the fury I feel. My other thread is seeking info. on a VA health benefit question. I was doing some additional searching when I came upon this! It infuriates me to even think about it. I will paste the 1st sentence of an article from the CNN.com website and you judge for your self!

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Veterans Affairs Secretary Eric Shinseki confirmed Tuesday that the Obama administration is considering a controversial plan to make veterans pay for treatment of service-related injuries with private insurance.

It is one thing to have disdain for our military. It is something else to be SO callous and demeaning as to even allow a milisecond of thought to occur where this "plan" would even remotely be considered! It does not matter in the least, that this "plan" probably would get shot down before it left the hanger. What matters is that it was considered at ALL!!

How dare they! There is NO reasonable explanation acceptable for such an overt slap in the face of our brave servicemen and women. I am in tears as I write this. HOW can this come from any commander in chief of this country??? HOW?

Don, do whatever you have to do. delete it, delete me. Whatever! We have veterans here and some of those have family (veterans) serving. They deserve to know!

Link to the whole story

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/03/10/veterans.health.insurance/index.html?iref=newssearch

Sounds fishy. Like there's some behind the scenes political back stabbery happenin'. Read the first sentence and the last. Quite contradictory and from the same Administration. Sounds like somebody's tryin' to hurt the Big O... :happy34: Fine with me but he's doing a good job of it himself. :whistling:

Edited by Monsta

Guys, guys.

I do fully understand your frustration but I think this is getting a little to political. Lets remember Freebirds note the other day regarding political posts and show him the respect of avoiding posting political posts.

Please by all means don´t take this personally. From my behalf this is only meant as a friendly advice, no harm meant. If anybody takes this any other way then I do apologize.

Guest Saddletramp

All I can say, and proudly do so, is the following....I didn't vote for the present occupant of the office of president of the USA!!!!!!:usa:

I don't give a s*** if it's political or not or if someone is offended by this post, tough s***. Anybody that tries to take away or put restrictions on our Veterans is not worthy of calling themselfs an American. Men and Women have given too much to this country to put up with this kind of bull. I am a 28 year vet that uses the VA medical system and the people that work at these facilities are true saints. I will be first in line for the revolution should anyone try to take away or water down any Vets benefits. I still cry everytime I visit the Wall and will never forgive our politicans for what they did to our Vietnam vets. We cannot let that happen to our current Vets coming home from war. Vets do not pick which war they want to go to, they go because they have a higher regard for their country then most politicans do.

GOD BLESS ALL OUR VETS

George Stacey

Star Vet Rep Star 160 Chapter.

Edited by georgew48
wron word

As a veteran, the substance of the "alleged" content of this legistlation alarms me, but I more alarmed and enraged at how so many of us can get jacked out of shape by something that may or may not be an issue.

While I personally don't attribute much credibility to CNN's editorial agenda any more, reading the actual words in that page make it obvious: The Veterans groups wrote the letter about "what they had heard".

"The details of specific proposals will be transmitted with the full submission in April. The president has made it clear that meeting the needs of veterans is one of his priorities, and as a result has requested an 11 percent increase in discretionary funding for 2010, and the administration is actively working with the veterans community to ensure we get the details of this budget right," said White House spokesman Nick Shapiro.

In the letter, the groups said they have been told by sources on Capitol Hill and at the VA that the idea under consideration would allow the Department of Veterans Affairs to bill health insurance for a treatment of a disability or injury that was a result of military service.

Let's try to direct our outrage at the things that are actually happening.

Let's not even let ourselves snicker at jokes comparing the President to JFK. If you want to get upset and angry, get in the face of anyone who'd think that is funny. That's the last thing we need now.

Murph

Right this instant, I cannot put into words the fury I feel. My other thread is seeking info. on a VA health benefit question. I was doing some additional searching when I came upon this! It infuriates me to even think about it. I will paste the 1st sentence of an article from the CNN.com website and you judge for your self!

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Veterans Affairs Secretary Eric Shinseki confirmed Tuesday that the Obama administration is considering a controversial plan to make veterans pay for treatment of service-related injuries with private insurance.

It is one thing to have disdain for our military. It is something else to be SO callous and demeaning as to even allow a milisecond of thought to occur where this "plan" would even remotely be considered! It does not matter in the least, that this "plan" probably would get shot down before it left the hanger. What matters is that it was considered at ALL!!

How dare they! There is NO reasonable explanation acceptable for such an overt slap in the face of our brave servicemen and women. I am in tears as I write this. HOW can this come from any commander in chief of this country??? HOW?

Don, do whatever you have to do. delete it, delete me. Whatever! We have veterans here and some of those have family (veterans) serving. They deserve to know!

As a veteran, citizen and lover of America, I share your emotion and concern. There are many things that are going to get much worse before they get better. Just know that you and your concerns are not alone...there are many more that feel the way you do than our "press" will relate.

i don't give a s*** if it's political or not or if someone is offended by this post, tough s***. Anybody that tries to take away or put restrictions on our veterans is not worthy of calling themselfs an american. Men and women have given too much to this country to put up with this kind of bull. I am a 28 year vet that uses the va medical system and the people that work at these facilities are true saints. I will be first in line for the revolution should anyone try to take away or water down any vets benefits. I still cry everytime i visit the wall and will never forgive our politicans for what they did to our vietnam vets. We cannot let that happen to our current vets coming home from war. Vets do not pick which war they want to go to, they go because they have a higher regard for their country then most politicans do.

God bless all our vets

george stacey

star vet rep star 160 chapter.

amen, i'm with ya buddy. Godbless allthe people who fought and died so i could have the great life i have had in the greatest country in the world. Whats happening brings tears to my eyes when i think about it. Snarley bill

As a veteran, the substance of the "alleged" content of this legistlation alarms me, but I more alarmed and enraged at how so many of us can get jacked out of shape by something that may or may not be an issue.

While I personally don't attribute much credibility to CNN's editorial agenda any more, reading the actual words in that page make it obvious: The Veterans groups wrote the letter about "what they had heard".

"The details of specific proposals will be transmitted with the full submission in April. The president has made it clear that meeting the needs of veterans is one of his priorities, and as a result has requested an 11 percent increase in discretionary funding for 2010, and the administration is actively working with the veterans community to ensure we get the details of this budget right," said White House spokesman Nick Shapiro.

In the letter, the groups said they have been told by sources on Capitol Hill and at the VA that the idea under consideration would allow the Department of Veterans Affairs to bill health insurance for a treatment of a disability or injury that was a result of military service.

Let's try to direct our outrage at the things that are actually happening.

Let's not even let ourselves snicker at jokes comparing the President to JFK. If you want to get upset and angry, get in the face of anyone who'd think that is funny. That's the last thing we need now.

Murph

+1 people, lets not jump off the cliff about some hyped up partial report about something that may or may not be happening.

And if it should be happening, discussing how you feel about the law itself, and what to do about it does not necessarily need to be political, as long as we do it without insulting either political party, any group of people like conservatives or liberals. Leave out the disparaging remarks, name calling and innuendo aimed at any person or group and it should be possible to discuss political subjects with out actually becoming political.

I've had it up to my handle bars with being politically correct. I will not stand by anymore and watch this Great Country go down the tubes because we might offend someone with what we say or think. Everyone has the freedom to agree or disagree with me but I will not watch what I say just because someone might be offended by it. That's what is wrong with the system we have now, everyone is afraid to say what they think.

I don't give a s*** if it's political or not or if someone is offended by this post, tough s***. Anybody that tries to take away or put restrictions on our Veterans is not worthy of calling themselfs an American. Men and Women have given too much to this country to put up with this kind of bull. I am a 28 year vet that uses the VA medical system and the people that work at these facilities are true saints. I will be first in line for the revolution should anyone try to take away or water down any Vets benefits. I still cry everytime I visit the Wall and will never forgive our politicans for what they did to our Vietnam vets. We cannot let that happen to our current Vets coming home from war. Vets do not pick which war they want to go to, they go because they have a higher regard for their country then most politicans do.

GOD BLESS ALL OUR VETS

George Stacey

Star Vet Rep Star 160 Chapter.

The point is not whether or not you give a ***. It will STILL be deleted if it gets nasty. The rules here are VERY clear, political debate is not welcome. I don't blame anybody for getting upset about this proposed change, I agree with you about it. The problem is that too many people can't discuss such an issue without it degrading into a discussion about who we voted for, why we did so, etc. Such discussion is simply not allowed here.

I am in 100% support of our troops. If anybody were to come on here and start making nasty remarks against those who have dedicated their lives or a few years of there lives to the noble task of protecting our freedoms and safety, they would be unwelcome at this site. PERIOD

Regardless of that though, this site was not created to discuss politics. Already there have been posts that have nothing to do with the actual proposal you posted about. Expect this thread to be gone pretty soon.

I dont see this happening either. Dont get your shorts in a bunch yet. I have been trying to get in the system for 2 years. The previous administration in their great wisdom in 2003 stripped allot of vets of being able to get va medical benifits that they were promised. I as a

hard working american who was wise and saved money and invested and planned for my retirement was now not eligible for the benifits which I was promised when I enlisted because I have to many assets. Now I went and saw my va rep last week and he said as of june 1st I can apply because this administration is repealing that law. I will be concidered in the lowest class in line for care but thats ok with me because the guys coming home injuried need to be the priority at this time.

John

I've had it up to my handle bars with being politically correct. I will not stand by anymore and watch this Great Country go down the tubes because we might offend someone with what we say or think. Everyone has the freedom to agree or disagree with me but I will not watch what I say just because someone might be offended by it. That's what is wrong with the system we have now, everyone is afraid to say what they think.

I agree with you. But there are places to discuss such things and there are places that are not appropriate for it. VentureRider.org was not created to discuss politics. The hope for this site is that we enjoy and discuss the things that we have in common, not those that might separate us. There are plenty of site's on the Internet where political discussion is welcome and encouraged.

Just my .02 worth but this has been my experience. Being retired USMC my wife and I get all our health care from the local Naval Hospital, treatment, physicals, prescriptions etc. The Navy bills private insurance if you have it first, Tricare prime then picks up any balance as a secondary insurer. If you don't have private insurance Tricare covers all the expenses, the net result in both cases is zero dollars out of my pocket. They have been doing this for at least the 11 years since I retired. I used to carry blue cross through my current employer for a couple years after I retired until I was sure I didn't need it so all I pay for now is my Tricare premium. I would imagine the VA article point would be along the similar lines.

For what it's worth if anyone is interested.

President Proposes 2010 VA Budget

Week of March 09, 2009

If accepted by Congress, President Obama's first proposed budget for the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) would increase VA's budget from $98 billion this fiscal year to $113 billion for the fiscal year beginning Oct. 1, 2009. The new budget provides greater benefits for Veterans who are medically retired from active duty, provides the resources for effective implementation of the Post-9/11 GI Bill, and supports additional specialty care in such areas as prosthetics, vision and spinal cord injury, aging, and women's health. The proposed fiscal year 2010 budget also proposes new funding to carry VA services to rural communities that are too often unable to access VA care. To learn more, read the full article on Military.com.

VA BUDGET 2010: President Obama's first proposed budget for the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) expands eligibility for health care to an additional 500,000 deserving Veterans over the next five years, meets the need for continued growth in programs for the combat Veterans of Iraq and Afghanistan, and provides the resources to deliver quality health care for the Nation's 5.5 million Veteran patients. The 2010 budget request is a significant step toward realizing a vision shared by the President and Secretary of Veterans Affairs Eric K. Shinseki to transform VA into an organization that is people-centric, results-driven and forward-looking. If accepted by Congress, the President's budget proposal would increase VA's budget from $97.7 billion this fiscal year to $112.8 billion for the fiscal year beginning 1 OCT 09. This is in addition to the $1.4 billion provided for VA projects in the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009. The 2010 budget:

· Represents the first step toward increasing discretionary funding for VA efforts by $25 billion over the next five years. The gradual expansion in health care enrollment that this would support will open hospital and clinic doors to more than 500,000 Veterans by 2013 who have been regrettably excluded from VA medical care benefits since 2003.

· Provides the resources to achieve this level of service while maintaining high quality and timely care for lower-income and service-disabled Veterans who currently rely on VA medical care.

· Provides greater benefits for Veterans who are medically retired from active duty, allowing for the first time all military retirees to keep their full VA disability compensation along with their retired pay.

· Provides the resources for effective implementation of the post-9/11 GI Bill – providing unprecedented levels of educational support to the men and women who have served our country through active military duty.

· Supports additional specialty care in such areas as prosthetics, vision and spinal cord injury, aging, and women's health. New VA Centers of Excellence will focus on improving these critical services.

· Addresses the tragic fact of homelessness among Veterans. It expands VA's current services through a collaborative pilot program with non-profit organizations that is aimed at maintaining stable housing for vulnerable Veterans at risk of homelessness, while providing them with supportive services to help them get back on their feet through job training, preventive care, and other critical services.

· Provides the necessary investments to carry VA services to rural communities that are too often unable to access VA care.

· Expands VA mental health screening and treatment with a focus on reaching Veterans in rural areas in part through an increase in Vet Centers and mobile health clinics. New outreach funding will help rural Veterans and their families stay informed of these resources and encourage them to pursue needed care.

[source: VA News Release 26 Feb 09 ++]

Guest Oldsalt

OK, as I understand this (and it is being discussed on a number of vet blogs) one of the aims is to get those vets who have civilan health insurance to pay for (part of) the cost of meds. Service-connected vets at the VA do not have to pay a co-pay whereas all others do. And some of us have to take these meds for years and years. Of course, the devil is in the details and most of us will not know what the details are until it is too late. Then it is bend-over time.

oldsalt

Guest Oldsalt

Just saw Cerberus' post and the following is a biggie...

· Provides greater benefits for Veterans who are medically retired from active duty, allowing for the first time all military retirees to keep their full VA disability compensation along with their retired pay.

This is something that has been asked for years. When you get your VA disability award, they subtract that amount from your retired pay. SO if this comes to pass, and I doubt it as it will be VERY expensive (the reason they have cited for not doing it befor) it would be a good deal for all retires with a service-connected disability. Of course if it only applies to those with 100% disability, the numbers are smaller and it would have as big an impact.

oldsalt

The issue with allowing retirees to keep all their retired pay and the VA disability payment is called concurrent receipt. Sometime around 2003 or 2004 that was passed into law for folks with a certain level of service connected disability, to be phased in over a few year time span. Those with combat related disabilities didn't have the phase in requirements. The way I read this is that maybe they will do away with the phase in, or maybe it is going to finally go down to those with less than 50%.

As far as going after the private insurance, the medical system for active duty has been doing that awhile now, and when I was signing up for VA medical a few months ago the VA was already asking for your private insurance information.