IGNORED

Storm wasn't nice

Yammer Dan

75 MPH + winds.

Three bikes sitting in driveway.

Picked them up and Lil'Red is on bottom "Parts Bike" in the middle and "Ugly" on top.

Nice sight when I got home. Shield is busted off "Ugly" Other damage unknown. I looked at them from about 10 ft away and left them there I was so disgusted. Will have to wait on enough having enough sons/ son-in-laws here to pick them up off each other the way they are stacked togather. Got to put shingles back on roof first. Seems something just don't want me to ride.

I'll get more later got to get back to work gathering stuff up. Scattered everywhere.

Sorry to hear this Dan. I hope the other damages are not to severe and you can make it right in no time. I know you can fix those machines without much problem but I can feel the pain and aggravation you must be having.

Makes a long night shift even longer dont it.

Couldn't keep from taking a peek while trying to figure out if I need complete new roof. Lot of busted Plastic under that pile. A front signal light from one of them on the ground under them. You wouldn't believe the way it stacked them up. The bad thing was the "Parts Bike" I had torn down with swingarm and wheel off trying to find out what was wrong with frame.

"Ugly" I had taken off rear wheel to replace tire, broke a pinch bolt so had left it apart til I got time to drill out and replace. Thing is the two Ventures were sitting there without rear wheels!!!

I started to call my wife (I was at Work) and have her remove the covers before storm hit when I heard how much wind there was going to be. Might have kept them from going.

Guess I'm going to be busy. "Ugly" which I was really starting to like don't look good at all. Radio is hanging out. Don't want to see that Brown Faring. I was starting to like that Brown!!!!

Got to run for materials for roof. More later.

I was starting to like that Brown!!!!

...well if that's the good that comes outta this horrible situation you'll be just fine in the end. :happy34:

Hang in there, buddy.

Roof not as bad as I thought. It just plucked shingles out here and there. Left boards exposed in one spot. I have about 1/2 a bundle of shingles left over that I put away. Just cut what I need, coat them real good with tar and slip them back in there. Anyone done this? Shingles were put on with staples. They all tried to pull out loose ones all over the place that held the shingles up so it looked really bad. Most of them just pushed back down with fingers. Never saw nails do this. So I have learned not to put shingles on with staples!! Still haven't worked up enough nerve to take close look at bikes. Probally wait til I get enough help to pick them straight up off each other.

Roof not as bad as I thought. It just plucked shingles out here and there. Left boards exposed in one spot. I have about 1/2 a bundle of shingles left over that I put away. Just cut what I need, coat them real good with tar and slip them back in there. Anyone done this? Shingles were put on with staples. They all tried to pull out loose ones all over the place that held the shingles up so it looked really bad. Most of them just pushed back down with fingers. Never saw nails do this. So I have learned not to put shingles on with staples!! Still haven't worked up enough nerve to take close look at bikes. Probally wait til I get enough help to pick them straight up off each other.

Dan,sorry to hear about all the damage.Real glad you guys are ok.....

As far as the roof,remove enough staples to pull back the good shingles so you can replace the shingles that are missing.Then fold over a layer at a time and renail...If you do it right,you should not have to use any tar....That is only used to cover up bad roof jobs.

Good luck......If you have any ???????,let me know.........I should be around most of the weekend.

Acouple of tabs were broken off and I just glued them back with the Non fiber roof coatiung stuff and painted paper they used instead of felt good with the stuff before I put shingles back. Hoping for no leaks. I'll never use Staples to put then on if I ever do it again. They just pull right out. I had shingles all over the roof pushed up just had to lift them and tap staple back down. It must have lifted entie roof to pull them like that. Very close to entire thing taking off. I wouldn't have minded replacing roof if it had left bikes alone.

Hey Dan, My shingles are black with little Gray in them and I was thinking of getting a 5 gal Bucket of that black trailer roof paint and painting entire section that was damaged. What do you think? Where it is at I wouldn't have to see it much. Maybe insure I wouldn't end up with leaks??

Sorry to here the news. Every thing is OK here.I just got phone and internet back.I been out of town working on moving a 911 center then the storm hit. I worked two days just restoring critical communications for 911.Now to access our own infrastructure damage but that can wait till Monday.

First gens stacked up like cord wood. Heartbreaking I tell just Heartbreaking.Dan you need a shelter with reinforced concrete for those scoots.Hope you get the roof fixed.

Hey Dan, My shingles are black with little Gray in them and I was thinking of getting a 5 gal Bucket of that black trailer roof paint and painting entire section that was damaged. What do you think? Where it is at I wouldn't have to see it much. Maybe insure I wouldn't end up with leaks??

I woudn't do it.I understand your thinking,but if you repair it right,you won't need to paint the roof.If you just replaced the tabs,I would just make sure that the joints under the tabs are sealed up and you should be ok...

I prefer to replace the whole shingle,rather then just the tabs because it is critical to make sure the joints are covered.Where the tab broke off has to be sealed also..

What pitch is the roof?????

If it's a low pitch,and you end up having to reroof,consider going to 4" exposure to give yourself less chance of having shingles blow off again....4" vs. 5" will use more shingles,but will work much better...I'm also a big fan of "Ice and Water Shield" at the gutter line to prevent ice dams from working their way under the shingles and leaking in the house.Standard roll is 3' wide,but I always double it to get better coverage,especially on houses that have no overhang.

I am also not a fan of staples....:mad:

Only two tabs that were broken off and I had to replace and I sealed them good. The rest it just plucked whole shingles out. About a dozen. Didn' see any tears in the paper they used instead of felt. Another thing I don't like. I haven't done a roof in years and if I have to do this one I'm going to take a look at the metal ones that are so popular now. More $$ than shingles or??

Only two tabs that were broken off and I had to replace and I sealed them good. The rest it just plucked whole shingles out. About a dozen. Didn' see any tears in the paper they used instead of felt. Another thing I don't like. I haven't done a roof in years and if I have to do this one I'm going to take a look at the metal ones that are so popular now. More $$ than shingles or??

Dan I just had my roof redone on house and garage. The roof on the house probably had another 5 years or so before it needed done but garage was ready So went ahead and had them both done with Metal. It looks so much better than shingles. Took 32 3ft by 22ft sheets to do the house 30 3ft by18ft sheets to do garage. Cost was a little under 4000 dollars for material. I remember doing tar and gravel roof in California on smaller house than mine and it cost more than that.\

\

John

I haven't done a roof in years and if I have to do this one I'm going to take a look at the metal ones that are so popular now. More $$ than shingles or??

I did the metal roof at my place (shake roof look) & it was 3 time cost of normal roofing material's (installed). But way I looked at it, I'm only re-roofing once........

Metal roofs are more expensive.....

They are nice,but they are noisy during heavy rain and hail....

If the roof is in good shape and you got the new shingles in place,and only having 2 tabs broke off and replaced,you should be ok..................I think I would still submit a insurance claim even though you repaired it yourself...

A man's got to get paid for his time...:happy34:

I had a Decra Stone Coat steel room when I lived in Dallas. It was on the house when I bought it. Owner said it cost him $13,000.00 to have it installed. It was a fantastic roof and I would love to have one on this house but doubt that I ever will. I don't know what was different but it wasn't noisy at all.