IGNORED

Update on Clutch "I" basket

SilvrT

Following is an update re: this post... [ame=http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42428]Clutch Basket ... Do you have a pic? - VentureRider.Org[/ame]

I have been going "back and forth" with the Service Manager at the dealer (he's been very helpful) who has been doing the same with Yamaha for a few weeks now.

Yamaha is sending out a new basket (I hope it's an I basket this time). Also Yamaha has requested the dealer do some gear backlashing measurements and send them to Yamaha Japan. I'm going to resist this because they want the bike there at the shop with the existing basket in it and that will cost me extra money and time as well as I have to put the clutch all back together.

More to follow as it comes to me.

(the saga continues)

Take it all in to them in a basket (no pun intended) and tell them to assemble it if they want measurements. This time demand to see the I basket and make a mark on it that you can Identify later without taking it apart.

Once burnt your a little wiser! :missingtooth:

Good luck on the next basket.

Steve

aka Bubber

Take it all in to them in a basket (no pun intended) and tell them to assemble it if they want measurements. This time demand to see the I basket and make a mark on it that you can Identify later without taking it apart.

Once burnt your a little wiser! :missingtooth:

Good luck on the next basket.

Steve

aka Bubber

The dealer has even offered to trailer it back to their shop ... this update has come since I posted earlier.

The dealer has even offered to trailer it back to their shop ... this update has come since I posted earlier.

Hehe. Sounds like if you hold out long enough, they might do this and it won't cost you a dime! Unfortunately it has already cost you some time...

Hehe. Sounds like if you hold out long enough, they might do this and it won't cost you a dime! Unfortunately it has already cost you some time...

it will definately NOT cost me a dime or anything for that matter! ... Time to re & re the clutch was for my personal satisfaction that it was (or wasn't as it turns out) done right.

How long to re&re ... well, let's see... if I add in the time it took me to come up with a home-made tool for holding the basket while I loosened the nut.... about 2.5 hours ... if I had the tool on hand... probably 45 minutes LMAO!

What now comes to mind is... since my insurance has expired...and they will trailer the bike to their shop... who's gonna pay if the bike gets damaged en-route or while in their shop? ... we'll see what the response to that is.

Frankly I think they want the bike so that the work (which is warranty) is done by the dealer and not me...which I can understand. But if this can't be ironed out to my satisfaction then they will just have to wait until next spring when I insure it.

it will definately NOT cost me a dime or anything for that matter! ... Time to re & re the clutch was for my personal satisfaction that it was (or wasn't as it turns out) done right.

How long to re&re ... well, let's see... if I add in the time it took me to come up with a home-made tool for holding the basket while I loosened the nut.... about 2.5 hours ... if I had the tool on hand... probably 45 minutes LMAO!

What now comes to mind is... since my insurance has expired...and they will trailer the bike to their shop... who's gonna pay if the bike gets damaged en-route or while in their shop? ... we'll see what the response to that is.

Frankly I think they want the bike so that the work (which is warranty) is done by the dealer and not me...which I can understand. But if this can't be ironed out to my satisfaction then they will just have to wait until next spring when I insure it.

Hey Rick.....just out of curiosity....I'd like to see a pic of that home made basket holding tool.

If you say it took about 2 hours to make that tool, I probably shouldn't tell you how cheaply you can buy the regular tool.:whistling::whistling:

Joe

I certainly understand them wanting the bike to be worked on, by them, since they do not seem to be playing the 'you touched it so it is not Yamaha's problem' card, and who knows - maybe the dealer actually cares about trying to make this right.

I did not even think about the insurance/liability issue there. They ought to and probably do have some blanket insurance coverage for a situation like yours; especially if the dealership owns a trailer that is used for hauling bikes. But, It will be interesting to see what they say about it.

When does your insurance go back on? -- It would be a shame to miss out on some good riding weeks due to them monkeying around with this business... but I guess if you can get a reasonable solution, then it would be worth it.

I certainly understand them wanting the bike to be worked on, by them, since they do not seem to be playing the 'you touched it so it is not Yamaha's problem' card, and who knows - maybe the dealer actually cares about trying to make this right.

I did not even think about the insurance/liability issue there. They ought to and probably do have some blanket insurance coverage for a situation like yours; especially if the dealership owns a trailer that is used for hauling bikes. But, It will be interesting to see what they say about it.

When does your insurance go back on? -- It would be a shame to miss out on some good riding weeks due to them monkeying around with this business... but I guess if you can get a reasonable solution, then it would be worth it.

heh... I just got off the phone with the service manager ...

firstly, they do not cover customer's vehicles via any insurance policy... so, I told him there's no way they're gonna trailer it anywhere.

I won't insure it again until mid-April

Alternatively, I will put the current clutch back together, get a 1 day insurance permit, and take the bike over there.

I'm now thinking I should not be disclosing the rest of the "details" of our conversation because this is a publicly viewed forum and it could jeopardize the whole thing. What I will say tho is that the service manager is really going to bat for me and all the experiences I've had with him have been very good.

firstly, they do not cover customer's vehicles via any insurance policy... so, I told him there's no way they're gonna trailer it anywhere.

Alternatively, I will put the current clutch back together, get a 1 day insurance permit, and take the bike over there.

I'm now thinking I should not be disclosing the rest of the "details" of our conversation because this is a publicly viewed forum and it could jeopardize the whole thing. What I will say tho is that the service manager is really going to bat for me and all the experiences I've had with him have been very good.

Glad to hear you've got a reasonable representative on your side of this :happy34:

I suppose that there is a slight possibility you having some issues by discussing the details of your conversations on this open forum. But, unless it was explicitly stated at some point that ya'll were having a privileged conversation or that YOU were being dishonest in anyway to the service manager, Yamaha or whatever.

On the other hand, keeping everything under your hat until a resolution is reached probably couldn't hurt.

So, I guess I could stop being nosy... :smile5:

Hey Rick.....just out of curiosity....I'd like to see a pic of that home made basket holding tool.

If you say it took about 2 hours to make that tool, I probably shouldn't tell you how cheaply you can buy the regular tool.:whistling::whistling:

Joe

heh ... Joe ... I'm too embarassed to share a pic of that monstrosity with anyone! :rotf:

It took me a lot longer than I expected coz I made 2 of them... the first one didn't work worth a hoot so I had to go back to the drawing board. That and the fact that I used materials "on-hand" rather than going out and buying something LOL ... You won't believe what materials I had...and no, I ain't tellin LOL

so, c'mon... tell me... just how "cheap" is the regular tool ? (ears and eyes covered) :eek:

heh ... Joe ... I'm too embarassed to share a pic of that monstrosity with anyone! :rotf:

It took me a lot longer than I expected coz I made 2 of them... the first one didn't work worth a hoot so I had to go back to the drawing board. That and the fact that I used materials "on-hand" rather than going out and buying something LOL ... You won't believe what materials I had...and no, I ain't tellin LOL

so, c'mon... tell me... just how "cheap" is the regular tool ? (ears and eyes covered) :eek:

The tool was $22.00. Cost me another $8 for shipping.

That was after I broke the clutch boss trying to hold it with my "home made" version, cause I didn't want to spend the money on the tool. Ended up having to spend $50 for a new clutch boss PLUS the $30 for the tool.

Real smart, huh??

So, now that I have thoroughly embarrassed myself with that admission, you can feel OK about posting a pic of your brilliantly engineered device that DID work. :hurts:

That's pretty close to what the pre-made tool looks like! Good Job.

If I only had a welder, I would have done that as well.

Joe

The tool was $22.00. Cost me another $8 for shipping.

That was after I broke the clutch boss trying to hold it with my "home made" version, cause I didn't want to spend the money on the tool. Ended up having to spend $50 for a new clutch boss PLUS the $30 for the tool.

Real smart, huh??

So, now that I have thoroughly embarrassed myself with that admission, you can feel OK about posting a pic of your brilliantly engineered device that DID work. :hurts:

Thanks for the info.

As for the above, do you get the impression that I am a "follow the leader" kinda guy?? :rasberry: :rotf:

Actually, I was gonna snap a pic last night but I got side-trakked ... maybe I'll do it tonight... then again... maybe I won't :D

I have just been informed by my dealer that he has received my " I " basket and I can come get it.

Here is his previous email to me...

"hi Rick let me start by apologizing I messed-up with Yamaha's info. I had ordered the wrong part number and confused the heck out of Toronto and that is why it has been taking so long. I have since resolved the problem and will expect the part in within a few days. again I am so sorry for all of this.I will let you know as soon as I get it in. "

This guy is, IMHO, great!

I have just been informed by my dealer that he has received my " I " basket and I can come get it.

Here is his previous email to me...

"hi Rick let me start by apologizing I messed-up with Yamaha's info. I had ordered the wrong part number and confused the heck out of Toronto and that is why it has been taking so long. I have since resolved the problem and will expect the part in within a few days. again I am so sorry for all of this.I will let you know as soon as I get it in. "

This guy is, IMHO, great!

Wow, sounds like you've got a service department to stick with! :thumbsup2:

I'm doing an "I" basket this winter as well and am going to need the tool.

Anybody wanna sell one? :mo money:

I'll sell mine after I'm done with it .... heck, I'll even give it to you

(but I'm not so sure you'd want to admit to anyone that you actually have it in your posession) ...:rotf: :rotf:

(I'll post a pic once I'm in the progress of putting the clutch back together this weekend)

(I'll post a pic once I'm in the progress of putting the clutch back together this weekend)

I think that you are all talk and have no such tool... You've been making your excuses about posting pictures for a few weeks now. I guess we should buckleup for another excuse this weekend, eh? :stickpoke: :stickpoke: :rasberry:

:witch_brew::witch_brew::witch_brew::witch_brew:

I think that you are all talk and have no such tool... You've been making your excuses about posting pictures for a few weeks now. I guess we should buckleup for another excuse this weekend, eh? :stickpoke: :stickpoke: :rasberry:

:witch_brew::witch_brew::witch_brew::witch_brew:

that's good Rick.... real good ! ... eh :sign20:

(phsycology 101 ... :rotf:)

Rick, I think you've been coming to Canada too much... I noticed you're starting to talk with an " eh " ... :rasberry:

Molson secretly bought LoneStar Beer and has actually been bottling their lager in Texas. Its fun to hear the Texans say eh with a southern twang. :smile5: