IGNORED

Need Help Please!!!! Advice!!

Guest buckbuckey25

Guest buckbuckey25

All,

Here is my story. Bought 2006 RSTD 4k miles. Picked up the bike and returned 2 days later with the dreadfull whine to a point it was making me cross eyed on a 120 mile quickie. Took the bike back in and the dealer did call the Yamaha Rep. This was almost 2 weeks ago. It was said they would be ordering the "I" basket. Well go in to pick up the bike this afternoon, as I was told she would be ready. Show up and oh sorry we forgot to order the gasket. Again I go home without the bike. Sadly of course. Sorry for the venting.

Ok here is what I did.. Based on all the good info here I decided at this afternoons visit to ask to see the basket that finally showed up.

Part # 4xy-16150-09-00 was on the box here is my sick part

Number on the actual basket is 26H01 T-3.

I am assuming I didn't get the famed "i" basket but instead got an "H".

So in the event this is correct, any thoughts on what I should do?

Should I let them move forward with the installation of the "h" if that is what it is or should I request them return the "H" and provide me an "I"?

Lastly, has anyone seen any success on a "H" basket install?

Based on the posts I have read, I have a gut feeling that as the letters go up, the more they have shaved off of the basket. Does anyone have any thing backing up my theroy? Most importantly though, again, any successes with the "H" and while they have not yet installed it should I push for the "I".

I know I am new to this forum, but any direction/advice/Help anyone can provide would be MOST greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Buckey

From what I have read the difference in the baskets is the rpm at which the whine is heard. The H basket might be just fine for you. The I basket is the one that puts it in the area where it doesn't bother most people. If it were me and the weather was good for riding I would go ahead with the H basket with them knowing full well you wanted the I basket and if it is not right then you will be bringing it back to get the I basket "WHEN IT GETS IN". No sense leaving it there for them while a part is on order. Just bug the heck out of them every other day.

Wayne

Guest buckbuckey25

TY Salt Dog for responding, I think your probably right. Supposedly they have the Gasket due in before 10:30 tomorrow. I also did some searching and found the part number I have should be the "I" basket. Copied and pasted below for any others as it has taken about 1.5 hours to find.

The primary drive gear is part of the crankshaft. The primary driven

gear is the same thing as the clutch basket. There are 2 available.

The normal replacement part number for the primary driven gear is

26H-16150-10-00. The stock for this part will be either an "F" or "G" size

primary driven gear, which will result in acceptable gear lash with any

size primary drive gear (crankshaft).

In addition to the normal replacement part, an "I" size primary driven

gear is available (4XY-16150-09-00). The "I" size primary driven gear is

not used in normal production. It was produced to reduce the normal gear

whine noise the Venture engine emits and some customers find annoying.

Installation of the "I" size primary driven gear results in slightly

greater gear lash. We have found this additional lash, in some cases

reduces gear whine noise or it may move the peak noise level to an rpm

not normally used while cruising, either of which can be more acceptable

to a customer.

So I hope I am lucky enough to lose that sound. Goodness just like folks were saying 1 hour into a ride and I couldn't hear anything else.

Thanks again Salty Dog!

From what I'm understanding, is that the noise is something one would also hear from a gear-driven cam, such as in a small block Chevy or to that effect. This is the first I have seen where Yammi has determined that it comes from the gear interaction and not something else. While it sounds cool on a hot rod, that is 5 feet away and under the hood. On you 2nd genners bikes, it's got to be murder! By the way, the "H" inthe part number is the model bike designator----26H---- is the RS/Venture line. My 84 starts with 26H also.

Good luck,

Dan

Gaskets???? Who uses gaskets??

This stuff is good. It's Loctite 510 Gasket Eliminator. I use it on my clutch cover instead of gaskets.

http://rshughes.com/images/products/thumbnails/ceSnD9PdbxrsSo3ZuoKd8Q_thm.jpeg

I'd say, the "26H ...." Basket is only a Number for the casted Part of the Basket. (btw 26H is 1Gen:)) The complete Part Number is what counts. It might be better at this Point, if you just let the Dealer do what he's supposed to and check the Result.

It's interesting that the problem is gear lash. It may sound stupid, but what about something like a carbon fiber primary driven gear?

It may sound stupid, but i think the Gear on the Crankshaft would be eaten up within a short Period of Time. Be it Carbon Fibre or other Plastics, i.e. POM (Delrin).

I've seen some very spoiled Steel Gears on Diesel Engines which connect to a hydraulic Pump. I just couldn't believe it in first Place. The Plastic wasn't even out of Specs, the Steel Gear was almost gone. On two Occasions, with assistance of a poor Adjustment of the Gears, the Steel was GONE and half of the Plastic was worn out.

Took my 06 RSTD out for a gas top up today. I only wore a shorty half helmet and noticed just how loud that whine can be. Man it is obnoxious. What a shame... as otherwise the bike rocks. On a good note,.. this was the first ride of the season as I just dug the bike out from winter storage... While getting the bike road ready I added 4lbs of air to each front shock and 17 pounds to the rear. What a nice ride! Seems to handle those sharp bumps a lot better than with no air (stock setting). I guess I may have to wear a full face if the whine starts to bother me... or simply slap a few miles on this and trade up. Good luck with your fixes.....

ride safe!

Guest JGorom

I had a 2005 RSTD that had the whine pretty bad. After a couple of clutch basket change outs and then adding the KhromeWerks pipes the whine was non-existent and all was well...that is until someone drove into it and totalled it. I waited to put on the KhromeWerks until the clutch basket change outs eliminated it probably by 90% (hardly noticable) and I wear a 1/2 bucket on my head most of the time.

Hang in there...the RSTD was the most comfortable bike I ever rode, if you can eliminate the whine with the clutch basket swap outs you will be pleased. If you can't...then get ear plugs, loud mufflers, or sell it.

Guest KitCarson

Quickly......I got to run......off to work.....but I know how the whine bothers some folks......it drove me crazy.......but if the dealer does not help you.....and keeps putting you off......do not blame them....it has became very evident that they simply do not know how to deal with it. So they simply hope you will go away. As for all these other clutch baskets......the factory one will have an E in it.......there is an H....and several others........The true fix the I basket has to come direct from Yamaha.....there is no other place to get it...no matter what some parts person tells you.....been there done this.

Will elaborate later......but for the time being if you continue to have problems and the dealer will continue to put you off.....pick up the phone and call

Luke Bugel....at Yamaha....at 714-761-7300. Keep after him......but once you talk to him it will only be a matter of a couple hours till the dealer calls you.....and rolls out the red carpet......my dealer even went out and bought me a cup of coffee that cold morning I went to Rock Hill to get mine fixed....prior to this they ignored me as did two other dealers......once fixed another dealer some three months later called me...hey Kit we are ready to fix your whine now.....give this fellow a call......will come back later and tell you what to expect.......could be it is pointless.....if you have time today look up and search for the Clutch Whine......see if what I say matches yours......there will aways be a bit of this.......no matter what.......

Guest KitCarson
I have a `01 out of "warranty" so the question is, how much is the "I" Basket and is this somthing that I can change myself?? I can turn a wrench and prefer to try things myself..

Thanks

I do not know the answer to that but I will certainly find out.... I will find out for you. I know the H parts basket they are talking about cost me $144.00.....I think...seems that was what it was. I will find out about an out of warranty issue and if an I basket can be obtained by a private owner from yamaha.....or if you have to go through a dealer. I do know several people who have had this done out of warranty by a dealer and it cost in the neighborhood of $400 dollars or so.....so that answers part of it...through the dealer the basket is available....if they do the work....I will find out about private deal....

It is not at all hard to do.....you just remove the clutch pressure plate...all the plates.....break the wire that holds the back plate in....order a new wire first(put it in later with heavy fishing line-use the line as a pull threader) An impact air wrench works well......will run the basket nut off and on right quick......thats all there is too it......one big nut in the back...and a spacer washer and this little pump bearing you have to watch out for.....likes to fall out and roll across the floor..........very simple....and I think on the site already is the process to do this.....if not on this one it is on the Venterers site. It is illustrated very well step by step.......someone one on here will know where to find that......I had it one time.....just forget where I found it. I think it is on here in the tech stuff somewhere. Be monday before I can call Californiaya.......I will find out.

Guest KitCarson
Why is it that so many RSV's have the whine but many don't? I've never once heard the whine with my 04 but I see it talked about here all the time. Inquiring minds need to know.

If you do not know the answer to something.......pass out mushrooms....see who will eat a few:rotfl::rotfl:I think.....the best I can come up with.....is simply the luck of the draw. The problem with the clutch basket is the tolerance or the mesh of the gears. Too sloppy and too much space between the square cut teeth and you get the situation. When they fixed mine they put in two baskets in the same day and a new drive shaft.......the fellow was not happy with the first basket.....put in another.......it has to do with the way the teeth mesh up.......you need a close tolerance to quiet it down.....it is all mass production......assembly line stuff......some simply due to tolerances have it..some do not.......the chirp........all I have ever heard have the transmission whine....that will aways be there......this is not bad....but you can hear it...some seem to confuse this with the chirp....I honestly think it is just luck........due to manufacturing tolerances.

Why is it that so many RSV's have the whine but many don't? I've never once heard the whine with my 04 but I see it talked about here all the time. Inquiring minds need to know.

Hey Bigfoot, what kind of oil do you use? (the weight and brand) Also is it synthetic or conventional? I have a bad whine while cruising or under load, except when I am engine breaking then it gets better. I just wonder if the type of oil would make a difference...even slightly?:think:

Hey Bigfoot, what kind of oil do you use? (the weight and brand) Also is it synthetic or conventional? I have a bad whine while cruising or under load, except when I am engine breaking then it gets better. I just wonder if the type of oil would make a difference...even slightly?:think:

My bike developed a medium loud whine (loud enough to be annoying at 70mph) around the time the first oil change was due. I switched to Mobil 1 synthetic and it made a big difference I hardly noticed it anymore.. Again last week, about 500 miles before an oil change was due the whine started getting louder, but not really that bad, I went ahead and changed my oil early, again with Mobil 1 and it quieted back down.

I believe it's called Amsol? Not sure of the weight. I do the change at a friends house and he has all of the supplies.

Guest KitCarson
I have a `01 out of "warranty" so the question is, how much is the "I" Basket and is this somthing that I can change myself?? I can turn a wrench and prefer to try things myself..

Thanks

Hi Kreg: I found out what you need to know today....Luke Bugel no longer works at Yamaha....has been sacked! Anyways.....I talked to the Supervisor for customer service and here is the story.......as I knew already.....the True I-basket is manufactured by Yamaha on an as needed basis...yes they have a few made up....but do not produce them for purchase. To obtain an I-basket you have to go through a dealer....no other options.....no other solutions. The only way Yamaha will release an I-basket is through dealer, you cannot purchase one.

Before you go running off to do this........if your noise is basically in third and fourth gears at speeds of 30 mph up to 55 mph and is worst in the low rpm range of these gears such as when easily moving through town at town speeds with the bike just idling along....The I basket will not help you at all......what I have just described is a characteristic of this situation....and will always be there. This is the Venture sound, just like other bikes have other sounds. If you have a high pitched chirp that gets worse with speed.......the the basket will help.

Kit

I Don't Know About The Others But MiNe Whines 100% Of The Time. I Even Named It Beverly As In Beverly Sills. It Is Obnoxious(JUST LIKE AN OPERA SINGER) And Now Out Of Warranty.

But It Is Almost The Best Riding Bike I've Owned.

I'm still waiting on a Guy who is stepping up and mounts a 1Gen Clutch Basket in his Whiner ....

Might not help at all, but since is was discussed here, that Yammi changed something in the Production since 2000 (or so, not sure when), there is a Chance that a older Basket will help.

The Risks are .... 1.5 Hours of Work and a Gasket if a 1Genner would lend a spare Basket to the Tester.

Hi Kreg: I found out what you need to know today....Luke Bugel no longer works at Yamaha....has been sacked! Anyways.....I talked to the Supervisor for customer service and here is the story.......as I knew already.....the True I-basket is manufactured by Yamaha on an as needed basis...yes they have a few made up....but do not produce them for purchase. To obtain an I-basket you have to go through a dealer....no other options.....no other solutions. The only way Yamaha will release an I-basket is through dealer, you cannot purchase one.

Before you go running off to do this........if your noise is basically in third and fourth gears at speeds of 30 mph up to 55 mph and is worst in the low rpm range of these gears such as when easily moving through town at town speeds with the bike just idling along....The I basket will not help you at all......what I have just described is a characteristic of this situation....and will always be there. This is the Venture sound, just like other bikes have other sounds. If you have a high pitched chirp that gets worse with speed.......the the basket will help.

Kit

Thanks alot Kit!! Mines is much like skidrows... all the time, some days are louder then others, but allways there!!

Thanks again for checking into this !!

Kreg

A couple comments have been posted that changing to Synthetic Oil helped.

If so, has anybody expeirmented with different Wgts of oil.

Say, Mobil I 5w 30w, verse, Mobil I 15W 40W, Or the heaver wght they have

for trucks, I think its 15W 50W.

Just a thought. ???