IGNORED

weird engine noise

Hello everyone,

I come in need of some help. I recently purchased (3 months ago) a 99 RSV with 2k miles.

She was mostly stored, when i brought her home i did a complete oils, plugs, and fluid flush.

She runs great, but now at almost 5k miles its now making an interesting noise / rattle when you let off the throttle. Listen to the file title rattle.mp3.

It makes the noise when the engine is warm, not so much when it's cold. Could it need a valve adjustment?

The other audio file is what she sounds like when cold. Not sure if its the right noise or not, but that's the way she sounds.

Any help would be appreciated.

First of all, welcome to the site and enjoy the Venture. I'm not hearing the noise, may be my computer, but I doubt very seriously you would be needing a valve job with only 5,000 mi on that bike. Hopefully someone with more knowledge and better computer speakers will jump in here and help. Good luck. Carl

First of all, welcome to the site and enjoy the Venture. I'm not hearing the noise, may be my computer, but I doubt very seriously you would be needing a valve job with only 5,000 mi on that bike. Hopefully someone with more knowledge and better computer speakers will jump in here and help. Good luck. Carl

Thanks for your prompt response and the welcome.

The noise is very subtle, you almost have to listen for it, or it could be my imagination. I hope that is the latter one ;-)

So far I love the bike, it took a bit to get used to, especially coming from a line of crotch rockets. At first I thoght that there was something wrong with the tranny because the shifting was loud and clunky, then the dealer told me it was normal, then he mentioned that the shifting will not be as precise as the one on a crotch rocket. That put my mind at ease.

Anyways enough with the yammering, again thanks for the help.

Fabio

I dont hear any unusual noises when i listen to that, it sounds like a typical, 1300cc 4 valve per cylinder yammie V-4.

I cant see how you would need valves adjusted with such a small amount of mileage on that unit, but a carb Sync might be a good idea to even things out if its been sitting around. I would also give it a good dose of Seafoam (about 1/3 can in a tank of fuel) to clean carbs and get that varnish out. My bike always feels silky smooth after a carbs synch and feels a bit buzzy before. (if that makes sense) i can feel the vibrations in my footpegs if its out of sunch.

brian

Welcome to the fourm

If it's been sitting that long there may be some sludge buildup also, I would go ahead and

do everything mentioned above plus change your oil and filter again.

I have two 99's and love them both I belive you will enjoy yours. I am curious how much you paid for a 99 with only 2K on the clock? When you get a chance post a couple pics.

DITTO what has been said so far.... sounds fairly normal from those sound clips.

Is that 5k miles after you changed the oil?

Run some seafoam thru it... burn a whole tank of gas with the seafoam added. Don't be afraid to open it up on the hwy. This will clean things out real good.

Then...

Sync the carbs.

Thank you all so much for all of your responses.

I paid $5,000 for the bike, I just came across it too, I was looking for a KLR650 and found this thing. I could not pass it up.:cool10: It's the Bordeaux Red/Shimmering Silver one.

I love it!!!! Such a fun bike to ride!

As far as maintenance, I replace the oil and filter at 1,998 miles, cleaned and synched the carbs, along with the replacement of all the other fluids, including clutch and brakes fluids.

Then I replaced the oil and filter again at around 3,500 miles.

I have not ran Seafoam through the bike, I'll do that today.

Thank all of you for the piece of mind and the confidence.

I called the local dealer and to have the valves checked is $499.

Does anyone is Sacramento want to get together and have a valve check party? :whistling:

Again thanks to all of you!

Thank you all so much for all of your responses.

I paid $5,000 for the bike, I just came across it too, I was looking for a KLR650 and found this thing. I could not pass it up.:cool10: It's the Bordeaux Red/Shimmering Silver one.

I love it!!!! Such a fun bike to ride!

QUOTE]

The best Color :sun:

Hey fabioz ... yanno, we have rules around here ... this whole thread is USELESS ...

:worthless:

WOW ... are you kidding me?? a 1999 (did I read it right?) with only 2,000 miles on it??

Some guys have ALL the LUCK!! :thumbsup2:

Hey fabioz ... yanno, we have rules around here ... this whole thread is USELESS ...

:worthless:

WOW ... are you kidding me?? a 1999 (did I read it right?) with only 2,000 miles on it??

Some guys have ALL the LUCK!! :thumbsup2:

No joke!!! Thank you Craigslist!

Pics are to come rather quickly:)

Thanks again.

Fabio

Actually, if the truth be told, which is very rare around here, the Midnight is the best, fastest, and most reliable model!:whistling:

BTW; I didn't hear any unusual noises in either of your recordings, and no, the valves don't need to be adjusted yet. I believe the book calls for an adjustment at 28,000 miles.

Actually, if the truth be told, which is very rare around here, the Midnight is the best, fastest, and most reliable model!:whistling:

BTW; I didn't hear any unusual noises in either of your recordings, and no, the valves don't need to be adjusted yet. I believe the book calls for an adjustment at 28,000 miles.

It's the chrome that make it faster eh? :)

Again thank you!

If you get to know Condor in the Sacramento area, he may be able to give you some local pointers on the bike and who is good or not good to deal with. He has several old bikes and also has a 99, but his is silver. Better yet, make the ride up to Cody WY at the end of July and let us all see your bike and we can all help you spend your money on safety chrome.

:cool10:

Brian

Yep, saw that bike late last year. The seller had it out in front of a house just down from my daughter and son-in-laws in Antelope. Very out-of-the-crate clean. Sea Foam and a good run to Cody will take care of all the strange noises. He11 it ain't even broken in yet.... I'm over in Carmichael, and you're welcome to drop in and talk bike anytime.

I also have an odd rattle / clanging noise occasionally when I first take off at low speeds..

but I couldn't hear it or anything odd in your audio clips.

Mine is inconsistent that I cant duplicate it to record it.

I can't tell where its coming from because I only hear from one ear so sense of direction is affected.