IGNORED

Speedohealer vs. SpeedoDRD

I am going to buy a speedo calibrator for my '05 Midnight. I had a Speedohealer on the '99 and it worked great but the SpeedoDRD is about $30.00 or so cheaper. Anybody have any real experience with both?

I like having it read right....just in case I ever get time to ride it again. :)

I put a speedoDRD on my 650 vstrom this past spring, and it works great and easily adjusted to whatever setting you want, and I have a speedohealer on the RSTD and it also works great.

I think I'd go with the DRD-so simple to set it exactly where you want it, in terms of setting the odometer and speedometer.

Set it, go out for a ride and come back and adjust another tenth of a mile.

I've run the 12 O'Clock Labs SpeedoDRD's on 3 scoots now....and can say it's perfect. It's tiny, plug N play, very easy to calibrate and works. It's adjustability can get you down to as accurate as you want to be. Plus, I've heard Motomummy's warrantee service is excellent.

It's now running on my 05RSV. Very pleased.... Model Y1. I mounted mine under the seat where the speedo connector is...

Believe it's on sale now as well....

https://www.motomummy.com/chain-kits-with-steel-front-and-rear-sprocket/12-oclocklabs-speedodrd/?gclid=CIWaoIXx0rUCFYtU4Aod0G4ADg

Edited by videoarizona
add

OK watched the Video about the setting and all the posts. I'm still in the dark about how this thing is mounted between the sensor and the speedo?? Does it have a housing?? And... does it correct the odo as well?? Behold the real mpg's!!.... :-) I guess you'd need a GPS to figure out how far off the original mph percentage the speedo actually is???

I've run the 12 O'Clock Labs SpeedoDRD's on 3 scoots now....and can say it's perfect. It's tiny, plug N play, very easy to calibrate and works. It's adjustability can get you down to as accurate as you want to be. Plus, I've heard Motomummy's warrantee service is excellent.

It's now running on my 05RSV. Very pleased.... Model Y1. I mounted mine under the seat where the speedo connector is...

Believe it's on sale now as well....

https://www.motomummy.com/chain-kits-with-steel-front-and-rear-sprocket/12-oclocklabs-speedodrd/?gclid=CIWaoIXx0rUCFYtU4Aod0G4ADg

OK...that pushed me over the edge. $70.00 with free shipping is good enough for me to give it a try. Just placed my order. I ordered the Y1....I assume that is correct. :confused07:

OK watched the Video about the setting and all the posts. I'm still in the dark about how this thing is mounted between the sensor and the speedo?? Does it have a housing?? And... does it correct the odo as well?? Behold the real mpg's!!.... :-) I guess you'd need a GPS to figure out how far off the original mph percentage the speedo actually is???

1: Mounted between the sensor and the speedo. Unplug the connector, plug in the DRD and done. Sorry I'm 150 miles away from my scoot otherwise I would take a picture...

2: No housing. It's protected by a shrink wrap stuff....very well done.

3: assume so since my mpg's have gone down now that my speedo is correct.

4: No you don't. You can do the math. On the web site you can clink on a link that takes you to the adjustment page. Either enter the gear ratios, etc., or enter the gps/speedo

speeds and it will calculate for you and give you a % of correction. It's all explained on the web link I sent...

The GPS method would certainly be the easiest and perhaps best way to do it. If you don't have a GPS though, there are numerous free speedometer apps that you can download for most any smart phone.

It would be nice if you could calibrate the odometer and speedometer separately but since only one signal is sent from the speedometer sensor, that is not possible. They explain that on their website. You have to choose if you want the speedometer or the odometer to be dead on or if you would rather choose a compromise somewhere in between. I personally want my speedometer to be dead on.

Took a trip out west earlier this summer on the Vstrom and having the DRD adjusted to where I wanted it, 50 and below spot on and 60+, the speedometer was 1 mph slow, and at 75+ the speedometer was 2 mph slow.

I kept track with my GPS and of course speedo. Odometer showed .988% less on the speedo. I checked it at fill ups and at the end of my trip. 4,481 miles

I wanted the speedo to be on at those 25-35-45 mph zones and read a bit low at highway speeds.

1: Mounted between the sensor and the speedo. Unplug the connector, plug in the DRD and done. Sorry I'm 150 miles away from my scoot otherwise I would take a picture...

2: No housing. It's protected by a shrink wrap stuff....very well done.

3: assume so since my mpg's have gone down now that my speedo is correct.

4: No you don't. You can do the math. On the web site you can clink on a link that takes you to the adjustment page. Either enter the gear ratios, etc., or enter the gps/speedo

speeds and it will calculate for you and give you a % of correction. It's all explained on the web link I sent...

I also ordered a SpeedoDRD (received it yesterday). Before I go hunting for it, can someone tell me where to look for the speed sensor connector? I'm guessing it's either under the seat somewhere, or maybe behind the left side cover. Thanks in advance. Oh, and it's an '05 RSTD...

Edited by TDbiker
include bike year & model

I also ordered a SpeedoDRD (received it yesterday). Before I go hunting for it, can someone tell me where to look for the speed sensor connector? I'm guessing it's either under the seat somewhere, or maybe behind the left side cover. Thanks in advance. Oh, and it's an '05 RSTD...

Yep

And if you would, Don, please let us know what your correction ended up being, rear tire size, etc...

It might be good to keep track of this to see if the speedo's are accurate (in their own way)!

I installed mine yesterday. I don't have any product comparisons, but I have to admit the installation and programming couldn't have been any easier. Took a ride before starting to get my baseline readings using a GPS. Plugged the numbers into their calculator on the website to get my correction value. Installed and programmed the unit and took another ride to check the readings. They appeared to be dead-on. My correction value is -8.3.

Now my only concern is, after riding this bike for 8 years without correction, that I now remember the speedo is accurate...

Well, that tells us that the error is not consistent between bikes. I haven't installed mine yet but did check the error yesterday on our ride. I checked it multiple times and made sure that my speed was stabilized each time. I set the bike's speed at 60 MPH and my Garmin GPS showed that I was actually running 56 MPH. That means that my error is -6.7%.

This is on my 2005 RSV. I don't remember exactly but I know that my '99 was somewhere around 8%.

This means that each person is going to have to figure the error on their particular bike.

Something else that could affect this to a small extent is different tires. Not all tires are the same OD. I'm running Dunlop E3's right now.

Well, that tells us that the error is not consistent between bikes. I haven't installed mine yet but did check the error yesterday on our ride. I checked it multiple times and made sure that my speed was stabilized each time. I set the bike's speed at 60 MPH and my Garmin GPS showed that I was actually running 56 MPH. That means that my error is -6.7%.

This is on my 2005 RSV. I don't remember exactly but I know that my '99 was somewhere around 8%.

This means that each person is going to have to figure the error on their particular bike.

Something else that could affect this to a small extent is different tires. Not all tires are the same OD. I'm running Dunlop E3's right now.

Agreed. Tires would be a factor. As well as mileage on the tires. I'm running stock size Pirelli Routes.

I was hoping we can get a reasonable consensus on error. Be interesting what others say. I may check mine this week and see where I'm at on my 05 RSV.