IGNORED

Painted the HF Tag-Along over the winter

XV1100SE

I wanted to "personalize" my HF Tag-Along so over the winter I painted it. Tried to get a red as close to the bike as I could but with cans from the store you have a limited selection. My pin striping could use more practice but from a distance it looks okay to me.

I've had concerns about being able to adjust the tongue weight on the trailer too since the box didn't extend that far behind the axle. Especially with a cooler on the tongue I've had times where I'm sure I was well over the recommended tongue weight. What I've done to give me more leverage is move the box back 4 1/2". My neighbour (who also did my cooler rack) had a portable welder and brought some steel plates over and welded them in behind the L brackets that come with the trailer. The plates already had holes in them and it lined up perfectly with the box.

Attached are pictures of the results.

For painting the HF trailer, I masked out the area I wanted to paint and sanded it with a fine pad to roughen up the plastic and take any contaminants off. Used Krylon Fusion (paint for plastic in a spray can) then used automotive paint scratch touch up paint for the pin striping (Dupli-Colr Scratch Fix 2 in 1). Gave it a light coating of clear coat (Dupli Color). Painted the metal plates to move the box back to prevent rusting.

The trailer lights are still visible from behind. Next winter I may put high mounted LED's for turn/brake. When I got the HF Tag-Along I put the LED lights on it so adding additional lights won't be an issue on power draw.

I plan to do the same with my trailer to as soon as it warms up a bit. What brand of paint did you use?

Krylon Fusion (paint for plastic in a spray can) then used automotive paint scratch touch up paint for the pin striping (Dupli-Colr Scratch Fix 2 in 1). Gave it a light coating of clear coat (Dupli Color).

The sanding pad I used was one of those sponge like kind of things that has abrasive on all four sides. Used a fine grit just to roughen the surface so the paint would stick. Paint for plastic allows the paint to bend a bit with the plastic.

Very nice! Looks good to me. I don't mind the HF trailer but that black shell is just........ lacking. Needs a bit of color. Your's stands out nicely now. :bowdown:

The change you did on moving the box back is one I intend to do as soon and I can. Got the cooler rack about finished but weight will be and issue if I don't move the box.

:clap2::clap2:

Wow, that looks good. I've got to get mine out of "storage" and get my hitch and harness on the bike. I procured a piece of aluminum electrical wire chase that measures about 4" high and has 3" holes about 2" apart. It will polish up really easy, and I'm planning on putting LED lights in it. I've held it roughly in place and it makes a nice looking rear bumper for the HF. I'll get a pic of it and put it in my album

Nice work Don.. You must have a very steady hand to do pin striping that way..

The pin striping is not my strong point. Get up close and the lines are a bit wavy... not perfect... but cruising down the road no one will notice.