IGNORED

05 cruise control problem

LVR357

Im going to look at an 05 Venture for sale and the owner says the cruise stopped working. Are there any normal issues I should look for ? Is the cruise control reliable on these bikes or problematic ? Any info would be greatly appreciated Thanks

Besides what's already been mentioned improperly adjusted clutch & brake levers can trip the cruise control off as well. I would check the freeplay in the cables 1st then, the levers.

Larry

Also... if there is any fringe/streamers attached to brake or clutch handles wind catching them will trip the cruise.

..... push set. It takes a couple of seconds to engage so most of us hit Acc (up) twice real quick and that forces it to engage NOW.

I hit set and hold it for a second and then release the throttle. You are right that it takes a second to engage and holding the set button in for a second does the trick. That locks in the speed.

It takes a couple of seconds to engage so most of us hit Acc (up) twice real quick and that forces it to engage NOW.

I'll have to try that. Mine holds fine, but it takes forever for the thing to engage. It won't engage at all when I hit set... but will when holding in the accelerate button for 10 to 15 seconds... Or something like that??.. Hey it's been a month since the last long trip.... :)

my 07 has always been slow to actuate, and sometimes it won't set at all, and I have to power cycle the cc and try again. It is an old design, and acts exactly like the cc I had on my 2000 Kaw Voyager. I attribute the crankiness of it to the fact that it is so old a design. The cc on my 03 Goldwing was much better, and acted like the cc in my car, in that it actuates instantly, and incremental adjustments of 1 mph are easy and accurate.

One thing I've discovered just lately is this: whenever I set out and anticipate using the cc I turn the unit on right from the git-go. If it has been powered up for awhile, it seems to set its speed more quickly, and with less lag of getting the speed up to where it was when I set the set switch. It doesn't like to be powered up and then hit the set switch right away. I'm thinking it takes a minute or so for the unit to boot itself up and be ready for that set switch.

One other thing that needs mentioning is that it won't set above 80 mph, or thereabouts. There must also be minimum speeds in both 4th and 5th gears but I don't know what they are.

I never use mine because it lunges on my... up and down 5 or so miles an hour... kind of like it would need to do when climbing a hill, but it even does it on straightaways..

Haven't figured out why yet...:confused24:

Lubed your throttle cables and carb linkage lately??