IGNORED

Fairing Dampers and Risers

I installed my risers today...pretty nice so far, although I am unable to go out for a spin (due to weather - ice storm).

Anyway...regarding the rubber dampers. I got them out...they had them glued (double sided tape) to triple tree and butted up against the fairing...just like everyone said.

Once I installed the risers and reinserted the dampers they are no longer touching the triple tree platform...about an inch off of the triple tree.

So I was gonna build that section, but to me it looks like the actual pressure point of the dampers is between the handle bars and the fairing itself...the bottom of the damper not contacting the triple tree doesn't matter or am I missing something.

Right now the damper is being held VERY FIRMLY between the handlebars and the fairing...isn't that what it is supposed to do?

Wally

...they had them glued (double sided tape) to triple tree and butted up against the fairing

hmmmm... mine were just pressure-fitted and there was no way I could get them back in the same way after installing the risers as it was just too tight between the handlebars and the back of the fairing. I forgot to look at them last night so will try and remember tonight and to snap a pic of how I put mine back in.

OK, here are some pictures of my install and how the dampers fit between the handlebars and the fairing.

Again, I am thinking that the way it is wedged in there...it should be fine and do it's job...it's just that the dampers won't be wedged on both sides.

Here are my pics.

I shaved ofF the ridges on mine so they would not fit so tight against the fairing. Just seemed a little too snug for me. Didn't want to crack anything. Been there, done that too often. P.S.: Slid mine in with the help of soap and water. Rinsed off later to get rid of soap. Now they seem to be set well. Like that for some 2000 miles now.

All the best!

SilvrT,

OK...your dampers look totally different than what I did...Are the dampers supposed to be wedged between the handlebars and the fairing...I don't see yours against the fairing. Do you have a HEAD ON shot? Thanks

Wally

That's the best shot I could get Wally. Yes, they are wedged in there ... I think they are upside-down and that's what provides the "wedge" between the handlebar and the fairing. I remember that it was a tight fit and they've been there now for a whole summer of riding.

OK...that makes me feel better...thanks for the pics and help on this.

Wally

I couldn't get a "top" shot due to the aux light switches being in the way. I tried to put them in the way you did but it seemed to be too tight and I was concerned about cracking the inner fairing or something like that.

Steve,

Looks good. But my initial question is why do we even need the bottom portion that you have attached as long as the damper is wedged between the handlebars and the fairing...mine stays VERY snug...is it just to make sure it doesn't slip out during a bump?

I put the bumpers in the same place without glueing or attaching them in any way. Didn't take to long for them to fall out along the road. Now I have no bumpers. Guess I will have to try and make some like you did.

tew47

My fairing doesn't flex much but my handlebars do.. its not that they are improperly installed but whilst sitting on the bike I can put pressure down on the handlebar and see it flex.. this is why I lose the spacers I put in between the bars and fairing.. however, now that someone mentioned the existing spacers are only glued in, they should be easy enough to remove and reuse.. a glob of "Automotive Goop" will keep it all in place and keep the vibes down to a min.. Now that my highway lights issues have been resolved, I'm SO looking forward to a nice smooth vibe-lesser ride this spring..

w00t

I left my dampers where they were. If you look at my accessory pictures in my profile page see picture #4 I drilled a hole in the baron riser and threaded it and mounted a piece of bar stock where the cut out meets the damper works great.

I left my dampers where they were. If you look at my accessory pictures in my profile page see picture #4 I drilled a hole in the baron riser and threaded it and mounted a piece of bar stock where the cut out meets the damper works great.

Interesting way of doing it.. when I get home next week I'll be looking to get started on this project.. once I get the other ones tidied up as well =)

thanks =)

Guest oldroadstar

I bought one of those black rubber bungies from Home Depot and cut a 3/4" section from the flat part and wedged that between the fairing and top of the riser. Did it for both sides and it is very snug and not noticable at all. Without any damping you can see and hear the fairing flex up and down with every bump in the road.

I bought one of those black rubber bungies from Home Depot and cut a 3/4" section from the flat part and wedged that between the fairing and top of the riser. Did it for both sides and it is very snug and not noticable at all. Without any damping you can see and hear the fairing flex up and down with every bump in the road.

That's sorta like what I was thinking of doing.. Just enough to snug it up actually...

Cool, thanks again..

The rubber dampers come from the factory with the ribbed side to the fairing. After I put the risers in, I turned the dampers so the ribbed sides are up top. They went back in nice and snug. They have been in for the last 25K miles.

It worked for me

Earl:missingtooth:

Great Idea ... might change mine now! :thumbsup2:

Figured I would post a couple of pictures to show what I did to my risers.

1) I used aluminum bar stock 1"x 1 1/2" long I drilled and countersunk to

except an allenhead bolt 8mm x 1.25 2 1/2" long (pic 02 & 03)

2) I drilled and tapped the Baron Riser (pic. 04 & 05)

3) Mounted the bar stock where the handlebars were originally.

They press against the Damper material as if the handlebars were

still in place (pic. 06)

Since I have no access to a drill press to drill my risers...I decided to go more low tech.

What I did was to go to Autozone and buy some booster coil rubbers. I cut them to size and then used RUBBER EPOXY to glue them into place. The glue holds VERY well and I think this will suit me just fine.

Here is a picture of what I did.