My wife Debbie and I were on our way to Missouri for a week mc vacation yesterday. We were east of Jay, Ok. about 8 miles. I had just passed two vehicles that were tailgating each other slowing down, speeding up and just plain irritating. I went around them at about 90 miles per hr. faster than ussual and because they speeded up as I was passing them I didn't realize my speed. I had slowed down to about 80 and my windshield broke loose and hit me on the nose and mouth and almost knocked me out. I was able to maintain control until I found a place to pull over and thankfully we are still here to tell about it. After regaining my composure and cleaning the blood We rode to Grove to the emergency rm. long story short no broken nose or facial bones but a deep gash in the cartalege of my nose and a sore cheek bone, broken visor on my helmet and destroyed sunglasses. We stayed the night in a motel in Grove, Ok. and rode back home about 120 miles today without a windshield. I had a clearview xx tall, wide shield with the vent. The shield snapped loose and broke at the two fasteners just below the vent. Ironically the perfect storm because the shield fits in slots on either side and when the shield snapped at the two screws that hold the windshield on it immediately came flying back at me. I think the integrity of the shield strength is compromised due to the vent and the location of the only two screws that hold the windshield in place being just below the vent. If for any reason these two screws fail or the shield snaps at that location the same thing could and would happen to anyone. I am sharing this as a warning to any one with the clearview or any other brand shield with the vent positioned as those are. There isn't much material between the screws and the vent. Also the material used is resistant to scratching, but more prone to chips as I have heard other clearview customers state on this site which leads me to believe that the material used is a harder plastic than the stock shield thus being more brittle and less pliable which could also explain it snapping without warning or apparent damage to the shield before this experience. I have also read threads here on this site of stress cracks apparent in some clearview shields. I also theorize that the clearview shield w/out the vent may be much stronger and this problem may not arise. I loved my clearview shield and it appears to be made of very good quality. The clearview people all seem to be great people. In other words I have nothing against clearview, but I want people on this site to be warned of the possibility of experiencing what I have and we are lucky to be here to tell about it. I am also going to send pics and this same information to clearview to alert them of the potential for the shields failing. The next person may not be as lucky as we were. If there is anyone with similar experiences or have anything to add It could possibly save a life or lives. Of all the things that can possibly go wrong with a motorcycle or other catastrophies while riding I never expected my wind shield to break loose.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm glad you two are OK! That had to be scary!

I am a little confused, though. I have a clearview with a vent and it is held in place by 6 screws just like the stock shield. Do you have any pictures? If there is a problem here, maybe we can come up with a fix.

Doug

I'm glad you two are OK! That had to be scary!

I am a little confused, though. I have a clearview with a vent and it is held in place by 6 screws just like the stock shield. Do you have any pictures? If there is a problem here, maybe we can come up with a fix.

Doug

Yes you are correct that there are 6 screws but all but two directly below the vent area have slots in the windshield instead of holes. That means if for whatever reason the two screws fail or the windshield breaks in the location of the two with holes instead of slots then the windshield can slip out of position and fly off just like mine did. I would post pics but I don't know how from my kodak program. I can send emails w\ pics if I have an email address to send them to. I am not all that handy with computers. Edited by James Ardrey
add info

I forgot about the slots.

Don't know if I've been lucky or you just got a bad one. I have about 30k on mine. Mostly highway. Been over 90 mph more times than I will admit to. Over 100 a few times. I've fought some decent winds when I ride near the coast. Once I rode 150 miles at 70+ into a 30 mph headwind the gusted frequently to over 50 mph. Last time I took it off, the only damage I noticed was a crack in the vent itself and some minor scratches. I will take a closer look at it when I put it back on for the winter and I'll keep a little closer eye on it.

I would like to see where yours failed. I've got several email addresses and get 100 - 200 spam emails everyday so I don't like to post my address where it can be harvested easily. I'll send a pm with my email address.

Again, I'm glad you're ok!

I forgot about the slots.

Don't know if I've been lucky or you just got a bad one. I have about 30k on mine. Mostly highway. Been over 90 mph more times than I will admit to. Over 100 a few times. I've fought some decent winds when I ride near the coast. Once I rode 150 miles at 70+ into a 30 mph headwind the gusted frequently to over 50 mph. Last time I took it off, the only damage I noticed was a crack in the vent itself and some minor scratches. I will take a closer look at it when I put it back on for the winter and I'll keep a little closer eye on it.

I would like to see where yours failed. I've got several email addresses and get 100 - 200 spam emails everyday so I don't like to post my address where it can be harvested easily. I'll send a pm with my email address.

Again, I'm glad you're ok!

Thanks for your concern. I have had mine for approx. 2 yrs. and have gone faster and under similar conditions as you have described without incident also until yesterday. I will send pics probably tomorrow. I haven't downloaded from my camera to my computer yet and it is getting late.

James, that really sucks that you lost your expensive windshield but I'm glad that you were able to avoid wrecking your bike.

I'm almost positive that Stardbog had the same thing happen to him. In fact I've thought about Dan's story and worried if the same thing could happen to me.

When you are posting just scroll down to the Manage Attachments Button, click on that and attach your pictures. If you can attach pictures to emails you can do it here. It's basically the same proceedure just click the Browse Buttons after you click the Manage Attachments button, find the picture and then click the upload button. Give it a try you'll like it.

Thanks for your concern. I have had mine for approx. 2 yrs. and have gone faster and under similar conditions as you have described without incident also until yesterday. I will send pics probably tomorrow. I haven't downloaded from my camera to my computer yet and it is getting late.

I just got mine installed a coupla weeks ago and lovin it.. and also had the bike at high speeds. Anytime I have the shroud off the bike I'll be having a look for stress fractures and crazing on the carbonates.

Just out of curiosity, was your vent open or closed? Wondering if the pressure build up in front and behind the shield was a contributing factor? There is a lot of surface there for sure, wondering how comon of an occurrence this is..

Let us know the company's response to this..

Good hear to hear you survived..

First of all, I'm very glad that you didn't lose control of the bike. Sounds like you did a great job in maintaining it in a very difficult situation.

I've had my Cleaview for about 9 years. It was the second one that they ever made for the RSV because Rick Butler and I sent them a template and measurements as to how we would like to see it designed. Rick got the first one and then I requested some changes and got the second one that they made.

Mine does have the vent. This is the second '99 that I've had it on and I've ridden in about every kind of weather there is and temps ranging from the low 100s to below freezing. So far, I've never had any kind of problems with it and after 9 years there are still no stress cracks of any kind.

I hope that there ends up being a valid explanation as to why yours cracked. I also understand what you are saying about the slotted holes. I wonder though if you had the outer screws tight enough? I have worked on a couple of bikes for people where I found them to not be very tight. People are afraid to tighten them too much for fear of cracking the shield. While I agree that you have to be careful about tightening them down, they DO need to be tight. I tighten mine down pretty good and so far, have never cracked the shield. I honestly think that they are tight enough to hold it on if the center was to break. I may be wrong though.

At any rate, I am sincerely glad that you are OK. For what its worth, if I ever wear out this shield, I will replace it with another Clearview but without the vent. I had made that decision already because I like the round push out vents better than the Goldwing style vent. I have the wing vent in the center and a round vent on each side of that one so mine would be very weak as opposed to just the center one. Still, no problems at this point.

Glad you are ok, and manage to get off road . My Clearvew Shield Flu over our heads on the way to FreeBird's maintanance day, but I Have to admit my Clearview shield have broken tabs by 6 screws holding in place by firing. I'm try to put some oversized washers, and hope will hold in place, but head wind that morning was just to strong, and washers didnt do a job.

Was to late to go back home and install stock one, so I'm decide to keep going, and ride without windshield. Don has spare one of his 99, and did a job on the way back home. Thank's Don. Called clearview and they give me 20% discount and free shipping for new one. Great Guys to deal with.

Don is right, sometime screws holding vent are lose, and that is most likely reason for windshild get broken in your case. At Asheville rally I'm notice Cecedo (Craigs) vent was lose too, hope he will read this tread and fix his.

Good Luck and get well sun.

I don't know why your shield broke, but it is certainly possible that the plastic had some sort of defect. I neither have nor desire a Clearview shield, so I have no specific knowledge about them or reason to support them, but I DO have a hard time understanding how the whole shield could come off as you described if it was mounted correctly. With two holes for the center screws, it is MORE secure from this possibility than a stock shield, which only has one hole and five slots. The mounting bracket is supposed to have a rubber strip on it, and if the six screws in the fairing are properly tightened, I believe there is almost no way the shield could come out. Break off above the screws, yes, but come out? No. Perhaps your break and the complete separation of the shield are related? If the screws were not correctly tightened, there could have been way too much flexing going on. Just guessing, but thought I'd share the ideas. Glad you didn't have a more serious accident! :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

I dont have one and this is strictly a guess but were both taller than stock and with vents. During different speeds and winds there will be some stress on the shield and maybe the flexing over time causes the plastic to stress to the point of break. Since the vent is in the middle where the highest point of stress would be it eventurally breaks. Just a little scary to me. I use a CeeBaileys shield that is much shorter but I think no matter what the brand this could happen,

Have you contacted Clearview and talked with them about this? I know they are a good company and Im sure they would want to understand the problem so that it wont happen again.

I don't know why your shield broke, but it is certainly possible that the plastic had some sort of defect. I neither have nor desire a Clearview shield, so I have no specific knowledge about them or reason to support them, but I DO have a hard time understanding how the whole shield could come off as you described if it was mounted correctly. With two holes for the center screws, it is MORE secure from this possibility than a stock shield, which only has one hole and five slots. The mounting bracket is supposed to have a rubber strip on it, and if the six screws in the fairing are properly tightened, I believe there is almost no way the shield could come out. Break off above the screws, yes, but come out? No. Perhaps your break and the complete separation of the shield are related? If the screws were not correctly tightened, there could have been way too much flexing going on. Just guessing, but thought I'd share the ideas. Glad you didn't have a more serious accident! :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Goose, the clearview has the same slot arrangement as the stock. There is only one hole and the rest are slots. My bike has a broken tab on the windshield mount. I've noticed that this shield will shake alot more than the stock due to the larger surface. All the more reason to check the bolts every now and then.

I wonder about the safety factor in large windshields.

In my "first" life as a rider, I had a Honda 750SS with Windjammer. I put on a tall windshield and had it break on me at the mounting point one day, luckily with no damage to me other than maybe cleaning a spot off the seat! :)

also, those vents in the shield, I get a LOT of air through the space around the forks, and don't see that a vent in the windshield would help much on hot days.

When I replace my windshield, it will probably be with a stock size, and no vent.

Thank you all for your concerns and all responses. After further investigation the 2nd from the right screw is missing. Don't know if it fell out or vibrated out after the shield failed. The outside support tabs are cracked loose. Due to the flimsy nature of the design by Yamaha and the constant flexing on the faring there is very little room for error and high potential for screws to work their way out. The only metal support in the system is very thin and narrow offering little support and little thread area for the screws. After this experience I am shocked this hasn't happened a lot to others. I have ordered all new seals, metal support,screws, beauty ring. If I can't find a way to strengthen the windshield support to my satisfaction I will have to sell my RSV cheap and let any future owner aware of this design flaw. It is exacerbated by a large and wide shield with the vent. I definitely don't think the fairing system was designed for that much more stress on the supports from wind pressure. There is very little room for human error via screw tightness, only one screw that actually holds shield in place, threads stripping or screw breaking without warning going down the highway and no way to be sure it is all fastened correctly at the beginning of any ride makes my head want to explode. Way too many possibilities for disaster. I am going to go back to the stock windshield or buy a shorty because there is just too much riding on the windshield protecting you from the elements or in this case almost killing my wife and myself. I have put 50,000 miles on the stock shield without incident and approx. 20,000 with the clearview to date. It only takes one time to ruin your day. I felt obligated to this community to share this experience. What you do with it is up to you. If there is anyone that can add to this dilemma I encourage you to do so. I don't want to over dramatize this but you may just save a life or serious injury. /thanks again for all your support and comments.

Goose

I was mistaken. There is only one screw hole in this shield just like the stock one. That portion of the shield is missing and I forgot that only one screw actually holds the shield in place. Even scarrier than I thought!

When I installed my Clearview shield the first thing I noticed was that it is a bit thicker than the stock shield. I had to "work" the original screws before I was able to get a decent bite. I had intended to get some new screws about 1/8" longer for a better bite but I never did. I think im gonna give that a try now. Its quite possible that the stock screws just dont have the reach for a good tight fit, which could cause some stress on the shield.

Just a thought....

Glad to hear you are alright,

Sounds like we need to talk to Clearview and suggest they do NOT make their shields like the stock ones, and instead use holes in all 6 places!!! to make sure they remain secure.

Edit:

now that I think about it, I am about to pull the shield anyway to install my Zumo mic cable.. I'm going to get some silicon sealant and put that on all the screws to make sure they do not come loose and so they stick to the windshield.

Edited by hig4s

Edit:

now that I think about it, I am about to pull the shield anyway to install my Zumo mic cable.. I'm going to get some silicon sealant and put that on all the screws to make sure they do not come loose and so they stick to the windshield.

Why not run the bead of silicon along the bottom of the shield and around the screw holes as well as the screws?? Kind of like a cars windshield sealant. May give a little extra grip and still be able to remove the shield when you need to.