IGNORED

The Front End Wiggle :-(

Boy! I worked out all the little issues with my '85 save one. That irritating, sloppy front end wiggle while making tight parking lot turns. I hate that! Is there a GOOD fork brace out there in wiggle land that will tighten things up a bit?

You sure there is nothing wrong with your front tire? Is there a bump on the side? Have you run your hand around it to be sure?

Yeah, tire is okay. You know how it is, wiggle the bars in a 2mph turn and it wants to keep wiggling. I really believe it's just a simple case of fork twist vs. several hundred pounds of hardware. I'm sure a heavy duty brace would help a little. A little would be better than what I have. My Goldwings all suffered the same symptoms.

Before getting my 99 RSV I had a Kawasaki Voyager. Alot of guys used the SuperBrace on them. Some that had have them liked them and some said there was not a noticable difference. But it's a start.

http://www.superbrace.com/

GULP! 144 BUCKS! Well, I guess THIS cheapskate has shown his true colors, and I DON'T mean GREEN. Oh well, maybe I'll check the "Poor Man Tip and Fixes" threads, or quit complaining and get used to the wiggle. Thanks though.

Actually, I can machine one that's as good as the Superbrace. I was hoping there was one MUCH heavier out there somewhere.

Mine had flex at 27k miles! The miles are not the culprit, the barely marginally strong enough components are. I made a brace and installed on mine, took 100% of the road wiggle out, even most of the wiggle associated with freshly milled blacktop. Slower than idle in 1st gear still wiggles a might, sort of looks like a nervous goaltender.

With someone else sitting on bike, off of sidestand, full weight of bike on suspension, shake the bars back and forth a couple good hard licks, while they do this watch the fork tubes and lower legs. They go in 4 different directions when you shake. Add the forkbrace and it tones it down considerably. These upper tubes just aren't heavy enough to stop the oscillations 100%. If the triple tree was splined or square peg into square hole where it goes through the head and mounts the steering bearing, that would help considerably, maybe even stop it entirely

Get ahold of Condor, see if he has any "Condorbrace"s left. Same as the other brand, but much more cost effective. You can use a 5/8ths chrome plug to cover the bolt heads to keep the water out. Here's a couple of pictures.

Dan

Get ahold of Condor, see if he has any "Condorbrace"s left. Same as the other brand, but much more cost effective. You can use a 5/8ths chrome plug to cover the bolt heads to keep the water out. Here's a couple of pictures.

Dan

Where do you get the chrome plugs?

How many miles on this bike ? IF over 50,000 miles -------------

Have the Fork Steering Bearings Ever been Greesed ? ( if not, they need greese )

Have the Fork Springs Ever been Repaced ? ( if over 50K they are worn out )

How many years has it been since the Fork Tubes have had the Oil Changed ?????

( Do you KNOW, if the Forks both have the correct amount of fluid installed and the same amount on each side ??? )

Have you checked the Torque on the Pinch Bolts that hold the Fork tubes In place ?? ( they might be loose !! if so, your life is in danger )

Have you checked the Front Axel Nut Torque setting ??

Do your Front Wheel Bearings have any Greese left in them ??? On an 84, if the bearings have never been replaced I doubt there is much Greese left in them, and if there is any, its Caked Up !!!

mine has 30k on it and it has the slow wobble, mostly when I turn into the driveway which is slow and downhill. That downhill slope really adds the weight to the frontend magnifying the weak stock fork brace!

I have a superbrace off of my 90 that will fit your 89 complete with bolts and plugs. You can pm me if you're interested.

Nearly every touring bike (heavy) I've owned has done this to some extent. The bikes I've had sidecars on also do, only worse. My theory is that you are turning the front tire side to side when making these slow turns while the rear is going straight. Normally at higher speeds you leaning not steering. It's doing the "crab walk" on a small scale. This is why you have to dampen the front of most bikes with sidecars unless you rake the front end. Of course if components in the front are loose or worn that will exaggerate things. Just my theory...........