IGNORED

Going to Niagara Falls, advice/suggestions?

Christo

The wife and I do an annual wedding anniversary ride. Last year we did Macinaw, year before that Serenity Springs, and this year is Niagara Falls. We are staying in the Embassy suites in Ontario. We are leaving from South Bend, IN. Trying to decide which is the better ride, taking the toll road stateside all the way there, or going through Canada. Does anyone have an opinion in either case - anyone have any suggestions, advice, good places to stop, etc?

Thanks!

Edited by Christo

if you are coming through the USA around lake erie jump off the highway and take route 5 from Clevend to Fort Erie then cross into Canada and take the niagara parkway from Fort Erie up to the Falls. the Niagara parkway is a beautiful ride. when you are at the falls if continue up the niagara parkway through niagara on the lake that is also some scenic areas.

cheers, Scott

Lori has a sister who lives just south of Rochester, NY. We get out there every couple years or so. As far as interstates go, the toll road is a pretty nice easy ride. We have never found traffic to be too bad. There are a few antique shop joints that we regularly stop at, but I couldn't tell you where they are. I only know them when I see them. There are a lot more we haven't stopped at too.

Best advice I can give is....

Don't fall in!!!!

Seriously, the falls are incredible. There's not a picture or video that can compare with being there.

Try to see the falls at night when they're all lit up - and the Maid of the Mist is well worth while.

Best advice I can give is....

Don't fall in!!!!

Seriously, the falls are incredible. There's not a picture or video that can compare with being there.

Try to see the falls at night when they're all lit up - and the Maid of the Mist is well worth while.

You beat me to it, I was going to say , "Keep away from the edge..."

:63:

Christo,

If getting there is half the trip then you may have a nice ride by staying on Canada side and doing Hiway #3 just outside of Windsor, ON. You can follow that all the way into Fort Erie and then take the Niagara Parkway from Fort Erie up to Niagara Falls and the edge of the Horseshoe Falls. Highway #3 has you traveling through some small towns like Delhi (the heart of tobacco country), St. Thomas, home of Canada's first woman's college. Built to teach women how to be ladies (designated heritage site and slated to be converted into condos before it burned down 1 month ago), Cayuga, home of Toronto Motorsports Park and the Cayuga Motor Speedway. Port Colborne, the town located at the Lake Erie opening of the famous Welland Canal. And of course, so much more. It would be approx. 5-6 hrs from Windsor to Fort Erie, depending on stops. Just a thought since I know when I ride, If I have the time I prefer to stay OFF the expressways. Call me when you get here, and I'll take you for a spin around wine country. I live in St. Catharines and I would be happy to show you some nice rides.

Midicat

All i can say is enjoy. Had that ride all planned out for this year but had to cancel. For the last few years we have planned one long distance ride a year (meaning a 1000 miles or more) and its been great with lots of fun.

We like to ride with others but most people seem to be in a hurry today, so we plan this ride for us to stop and relax and see whats around us instead of just driving through from point A to B only to realize you have missed the ride.

So what ever you do enjoy it and take the time to see what is around you.

If you decide you want to stay Stateside but don't want to ride the toll road interstate, Hwy 20 runs virtually all the way there. It pretty well runs right beside the toll road. It looks like the only ugly part would be getting around Cleveland, OH. It looks like about the easiest way to handle that would be to jump up to 90 through Cleveland, then back to 20 on the other side. Anything else is a looooong ways around.

As it turns out, it's looking like we're going to be heading up to Lori's sister's place near Rochester in about a month or so. We haven't been there in a few years, and we've never been there on the bike. Then I can add a couple more states to my map.

I want to thank everyone for their suggestions, invites, and input! We are now hoping that the weather cooperates! Seems every time we decide to ride, it rains. Sad thing about this trip is we get one day to ride there, one day to see the sites, and one day to return home. So we do not have much time on our hands for this trip.

:250::depressed::rain2:

ADVICE! Don't do this one in January!!!

We always have nice days in January, two years back I was riding on January 1st at 55 degrees, clean streets. Last year we were under 3 ft of snow. :rotf:

THe falls are very nice in the winter as well with all the ice, the water only stopped flowing once, according to the history books.

Brad

We always have nice days in January, two years back I was riding on January 1st at 55 degrees, clean streets. Last year we were under 3 ft of snow. :rotf:

THe falls are very nice in the winter as well with all the ice, the water only stopped flowing once, according to the history books.

Brad

I hear and have seen picts of this place in the winter when the water mist freezes, very cool. But this is a momo ride and the wife does nbot ride if the temp is below 75°!

She likes it hot!

:225:

I wish we had more time, but this is one of those, get there, see it, then get home - being young and married with kids and owning two businesses kinda screws up the enjoy the ride thing sometimes - as far as sight seeing.

The route we have planned is this one: http://tinyurl.com/5z524s

:confused24:

Christo,

If getting there is half the trip then you may have a nice ride by staying on Canada side and doing Hiway #3 just outside of Windsor, ON. You can follow that all the way into Fort Erie and then take the Niagara Parkway from Fort Erie up to Niagara Falls and the edge of the Horseshoe Falls. Highway #3 has you traveling through some small towns like Delhi (the heart of tobacco country), St. Thomas, home of Canada's first woman's college. Built to teach women how to be ladies (designated heritage site and slated to be converted into condos before it burned down 1 month ago), Cayuga, home of Toronto Motorsports Park and the Cayuga Motor Speedway. Port Colborne, the town located at the Lake Erie opening of the famous Welland Canal. And of course, so much more. It would be approx. 5-6 hrs from Windsor to Fort Erie, depending on stops. Just a thought since I know when I ride, If I have the time I prefer to stay OFF the expressways. Call me when you get here, and I'll take you for a spin around wine country. I live in St. Catharines and I would be happy to show you some nice rides.

Midicat

Looks like a nice little ride. You could drop down to hwy #3 near London as it would not take much longer and is a little more scenic.

Also depending on when you are running through Hamilton to Niagara that section can get very busy at the Rush hours (STOP and GO, bumper to bumper for 3-4 lanes). You may want to drop south at Ancaster Then through the Welland you could always watch the ships in the canal.

Brad

Thanks for the tip Brad! appreciated!

:thumbsup:

Looks like a nice little ride. You could drop down to hwy #3 near London as it would not take much longer and is a little more scenic.

Also depending on when you are running through Hamilton to Niagara that section can get very busy at the Rush hours (STOP and GO, bumper to bumper for 3-4 lanes). You may want to drop south at Ancaster Then through the Welland you could always watch the ships in the canal.

Brad

Just looked at your map, you're going within 4 minutes of getting some of the best pepperettes ever made, and you're taking a bad way through Hamilton and down the QEW. If you want I can send you a much better route that only takes a little longer, or maybe even less time if the traffic is all tied up on the QEW (which quite often happens) and then you'll be within 30 seconds of our place, and enjoy the ride a whole lot more.