IGNORED

Turning corners with Venture

Guest Eviljester

Guest Eviljester

I will be getting my bike within 2 weeks. Got my other bike stolen and was thinking of buying the Venture S 2008. Some people are saying when you are at low gear and need to turn the bike is hard to maneuver. Is this so? I use to have a Vulcan LT and had no problem whatsoever with corners or whatever. Just curious on people owning the Venture what you think.

cheers :thumbsup2:

There's no secret about the Venture being a little top heavey and extra caution is needed making turns at low speeds. But you get used to the weight real fast, and once you do..you'll enjoy the best ride you've ever had on a motorcycle. Once in motion, the bike seems to glide! The Venture is an excellent choice! Good Luck

Slow speed handling is a little dicey until you get used to it. There are a couple of geometric changes you can make that will improve this.

1) Leveling links (Diamond R) - raise the rear end about an inch and make a huge difference in slow speed handling. Not for the inseam challanged.

2) Lower the front end - does the same thing without costing anything but time. If you like to carve corners, it will make it more likely to scrape a floorboard in corners. Better for the inseam challanged.

3) Go with a skinnier front tire. This also helps, but will cost you a front tire and mounting.

Welcome to the family. Don't be afraid to ask anything - as long as you expect lots of answers.

RR

Don't worry about the top heavy low speed stuff. This bike is exceptional! Go out and get one, it will take you a couple of rides to get use to it but it's not bad at all. You have to remember that you are buying a Touring Bike, this is NOT a Cruser or a Sport Bike. I think it is more of getting use to a "BIGGER" bike rather then anything else.

:thumbsup:

I am 6'-0" so not concerned with the seat height. What I have done to my RSV is inflate the rear shock to 45PSI and run without air in the front shocks. It really works about the same as the leveling brackets.

Hope this helps.....

:Venture:

Edited by Newfie Bill

I moved up from a vulcan to a 2005 RSV. There is certainly a difference in the parking lots, but I would expect nothing less from 300 extra pounds. It is nothing that should prevent you from buying the Venture.

I love my RSV and have never looked back.

Bug

Guest tessa c2

go for it, just had my 86 in the shop for a couple of days, and had to jump on the old 1100 xs, which is a couple of hundred pounds lighter, the 1100 is a snappy bike, but the 86 ridies like a caddy in comparison, and is a lot easyer to handle once you get used to the weight, i usually run about 14 lbs of air in the frount shocks and 46 in the back. good luck in what you are picking up:2cents:

Best ride out there for a big bike. The skills taught in the MSF course when praticed as they should be will have you riding extremely slow with good control. You impress some with how fast you can go, you impress me with how slow you can operate your motorcycle with your feet on the pegs.

skipop

I went from a Honda shadow 1100 sabre to the rsv and there is a big diffrence but there is a huge weight diffrence also. I notice the top heavy more ridding 2 up than by myself and dont have a problem with it, you just have to get used to it. You wont regret it they are great bikes, just wish they would come out with some cool clothes and jackets like HD has.

I will be getting my bike within 2 weeks. Got my other bike stolen and was thinking of buying the Venture S 2008. Some people are saying when you are at low gear and need to turn the bike is hard to maneuver. Is this so? I use to have a Vulcan LT and had no problem whatsoever with corners or whatever. Just curious on people owning the Venture what you think.

cheers

I'm 5'8" with a 30" inseam and went from a 1100 Vstar which is lowered 2.5 inches with 4" extensions on the floorboards and 4" pull backs on the wide bars.. I literally sit lounging on this bike as I scrape my way around corners at high speed and turn on a dime in parking lots.. you simply have to look to where you want to go and the bike wants to go there..

But on the Venture.. whooo what a difference in bikes this is.. wow. If you're coming from a low bike to a Venture, a lot of this will make sense to you..

First of all, it's a touring bike, not a cruiser.. It is also very top heavy compared to your previous bike so it will certainly appear and feel scary with all that top heavy weight.. But you quickly adapt to it.. PRACTICE with it and don't feel bad if you drop it. The bike will land on the bag and engine guards and shut itself off. I know this by experience because in the 38 years of biking I have done, this was the very first time I had ever dropped a bike in my life.. "It's not IF you drop a bike, it's WHEN"

People who are used to bigger bikes won't think it's too top heavy as they are more like minded and are more readily to accept the change. But for us low cruiser types, the change is huge and takes more to adapt to it, especially in mindset. When I first got the Venture this summer, I knew I was stepping up to a larger bike and yes I knew it would be top heavy and yes I knew I wouldn't be able to toss it around like I did my modded VStar. However, after 4200 miles of riding the venture in 2 months, I'm scrapping the floorboards and carving the corners with this large, top heavy, lumbering(?) bike =)

You'll hear advice about raising the rear, lowering the front, doing this and doing that to the bike to improve the overall handling of the bike. The only advice I can offer is to do the simplest and cheapest first and then work your way up from there..

Cheapest and simplest to do is to have zero air pressure in the front shocks and 45 psi in the rear shocks.. this basically changes the geometry of the bike's trail - rake to make it easier to handle. Proper tire pressure makes a diff as well.. (book receomendation is for 180 lbs biker, if you're bigger or load the bike, add more etc)

Cheapest but mechanicaly involved is to do the lowering of the front forks, people like this one as it doesn't cost money and relatively simple enough to do.

Easy enough but costs is to install leveling links that raise the rear of the bike, basically once again changing the geometry of the bike but this affects short legged people..

And the most expensive option is to have the whole meal deal, front and rear lowering kits installed.. it lowers the overall height of the bike while keep the front lower than the rear doing the same as leveling links but bringing your assets closer to the road.

In final (long notes eh?) I would say that if you love riding a long time and enjoying the ride, you're going to love the Venture.. I can honestly say I was questioning my purchase in the first 2 weeks but all of a sudden it started to grow on me.. and now? I hven't ridden the Vstar much this summer except to get it lubricated lol.. turn the wheels kinda thing.

You'll love the Venture.. take the time to learn how to handle it properly.. and yes, you will drop it.. now if.. when.. ; )

Cheers M8

Whether a 1st gen or a 2nd gen, I've had both, they're top heavy and easy to drop at a low speed or at a standstill, don't ask how I know. The 2nd gen gearing is quite different from the 1st, especially at slow speeds, takes some getting used to, after a month I'm a lot better than I was at first. Still scary sometimes on slow corners but as said this is a very comfortable touring bike. We did 935 miles this weekend on some twisty backroads and 2 lane highways. I'm a lot better with the twisties now and on the highway it's very comfortable, more so than the 90 I have.

Whether a 1st gen or a 2nd gen, I've had both, they're top heavy and easy to drop at a low speed or at a standstill, don't ask how I know. The 2nd gen gearing is quite different from the 1st, especially at slow speeds, takes some getting used to, after a month I'm a lot better than I was at first. Still scary sometimes on slow corners but as said this is a very comfortable touring bike. We did 935 miles this weekend on some twisty backroads and 2 lane highways. I'm a lot better with the twisties now and on the highway it's very comfortable, more so than the 90 I have.

I practice a lot of "slow" riding with all my bikes.. trying to creep along at the slowest possible speed possible without putting your feet down, and leaving them planted on the floor boards, not dangling like outriggers..

You'd be surprised at how many looks you get in a line up when HD's and cruisers and are the only one still up on the boards, almost at a standstill.. Yes, it CAN be done.. but man it's difficult and not always attainable lol..

You have to remember it's better to gracefully place your feet on the ground than do the wild twistchy jerky handlebar swings and clumsily crash your feet to the ground hehe..

Throttle, clutch and rear brake playing at the same time will keep you upright at a painfully slow speed.

Besides, it helps kill time when stuck in traffic.. ; )

Just bought a 08 RSV S on the 13th of Aug, heavy bike ,especially coming off a Triumph America, but a great bike(specially in the twisties:sign woo hoo: ) . takes a bit of getting used to in slow speed situations ,such as parking lots etc but as has been said. friction zone clutch a bit of throttle and a bit of rear brake and your off, no problem . and if you havent seen that Ride Like a Pro dvd its well worth a watch . good luck .

I recommend the leveling links over all the other adjustments for one reason. Leaning the bike in a sharp curve the pipes tend to drag before the running boards make contact with the road and could lead to loosing traction on back tire when you need it the most. Also I had the tail pipe drag coming out of gas stations etc. when two up and pulling a trailor. My wife complains when I put over 30# in rear shock due to stiffer ride over bumps. The leveling links cured the pipe clearance and low speed handling problem. If vertically challenged lowering the front and increased air in rear shock may be the best adjustment, or putting on the narrower front tire has worked well for some.

My experience is a little different. I had a Road Star for a few months and after putting a set of Venoms on and getting used to it I liked throwing it around a bit. It handles great.

Before I added the Venture to the garage I had also heard about top heavy/slow speed handling on them. After riding the Venture a bit I can't tell a LOT of difference! In fact, I can roll to a stop slower and straighter without putting my feet down with the Venture where the Roadie will be wobbling all over. Hmmm, maybe it's that 11,000 mile, flat as a board, ME880 on the rear that keeps it so stable. LOL :rotfl:

My experience is a little different. I had a Road Star for a few months and after putting a set of Venoms on and getting used to it I liked throwing it around a bit. It handles great.

Before I added the Venture to the garage I had also heard about top heavy/slow speed handling on them. After riding the Venture a bit I can't tell a LOT of difference! In fact, I can roll to a stop slower and straighter without putting my feet down with the Venture where the Roadie will be wobbling all over. Hmmm, maybe it's that 11,000 mile, flat as a board, ME880 on the rear that keeps it so stable. LOL

The Venture is like taxiing a tail dragger aircraft (for those who have done this, you'll know what I mean)..

It's easy to taxi a tail dragger but you have to be 'on it' from prop on to prop off, otherwise you'll be in for a big surprise if you let your guard down. The tail will swing around and bite you when you least expect it..

I found myself so rock steady and smooth with the Venture at slow speeds, coming to a stop at the lights, coming in soooo sloooow and putting my feet down at the last minute, it was almost like poetry in motion.. and then SNAP, it comes around and bites you and you're doing the "don't drop it, don't make it look like you're busting a blood vessel trying not to drop the bike" but everyone knows you pooched it and scrambling to recover the bike from going over too much.. and no matter what you say or try to convey with body language that everything is cool, they know.. you pooched it.. lol..

Basically, never let your guard down with the Venture.. once you get used to it, the bike is easy to handle and such but man.. JUST when you least expect it.. SNAP!

Leaning the bike in a sharp curve the pipes tend to drag before the running boards make contact with the road and could lead to loosing traction on back tire when you need it the most. Also I had the tail pipe drag coming out of gas stations etc. when two up and pulling a trailor.

Do you have factory mufflers on your bike or some aftermarket product????

I ask because I have never dragged a tailpipe, but have dragged the operator floorboards.

Some people are saying when you are at low gear and need to turn the bike is hard to maneuver. Is this so?

It is no harder than any other full dresser bike.

Get the Ride Like a Pro video. Watch it and PRACTICE what they teach untill you can do a U-turn in 15 feet wide road...

BTW on page 9-1 the Owners Manual states that the RSV's Minimum turning radius is 3500 mm (137.8 in). This equates to a little under 11.5 feet.....................

Who can do a u-turn in under 12 feet?????

I found myself so rock steady and smooth with the Venture at slow speeds, coming to a stop at the lights, coming in soooo sloooow and putting my feet down at the last minute, it was almost like poetry in motion.. and then SNAP, it comes around and bites you and you're doing the "don't drop it, don't make it look like you're busting a blood vessel trying not to drop the bike" but everyone knows you pooched it and scrambling to recover the bike from going over too much.. and no matter what you say or try to convey with body language that everything is cool, they know.. you pooched it.. lol..

Basically, never let your guard down with the Venture.. once you get used to it, the bike is easy to handle and such but man.. JUST when you least expect it.. SNAP!

I can relate to what Seaking says, its happened many times, just when you think you've got it down pat it bites you in the a$$, makes you feel such a twit, and as was mentioned earlier, you will drop it...we all have...!! At least those that own up to it. :whistling:

Ian

Do you have factory mufflers on your bike or some aftermarket product????

I ask because I have never dragged a tailpipe, but have dragged the operator floorboards.

I drug the tips of my stock mufflers many times before adding the leveling links. Mostly riding two up with less than 30 lbs. of air in the shock. I could pump up the shock and prevent it but it resulted in a fairly harsh ride. That is a big advantage for me with the leveling links. I can run the air down around 30 but the bike sits level and I don't drag the mufflers.

It is no harder than any other full dresser bike.

Get the Ride Like a Pro video. Watch it and PRACTICE what they teach untill you can do a U-turn in 15 feet wide road...

BTW on page 9-1 the Owners Manual states that the RSV's Minimum turning radius is 3500 mm (137.8 in). This equates to a little under 11.5 feet.....................

Who can do a u-turn in under 12 feet?????

I can get close to that but not exactly sure what the measurement is..

I went home for lunch and came back with the bike since it's finally stopped raining for a while.. When riding around the building, I was enjoying the sound of my HD Slashers bouncing off the building and thinking of this conversation of slow riding when one of my co-workers walked past me and gave me a puzzled look.. as did the next person walking past me.. hehe.. I didn't realize it but I had slowed down to such a crawl that people were walking faster than I was rolling.. Now that's slow riding..

I swung it around the building and went to back the bike up into a parking spot.. and yeah sure enough, proud of myself for riding THAT slow.. I oops'd it on the backing up part lol.. close but enough to say it caught me..

Fun Fun