IGNORED

Recommendation for Highway pegs

thecount

Hi

I am looking for recommendations for adding highway peg (or other) for the Venture. I find the "cheap" one that the bike has are not adequate. I am 6' 1" tall, with about a 34" leg inseam.

Any suggestions? I think they would end up a on the engine guard and being somewhat out front to fit the length.

Thanks for your recommendations in advance.

I bought the Kuryakyn Iso pegs with stirrups. Several of us in my group have these, and they are so adjustable, and versatile. Not cheap, but the quality is there. the offset allows a bunch of room for those with long legs. Like having a forward floorboard, but without the size, wind resistance or bad looks.

Here is a link so you can see a picture, check around for prices though:

http://www.kuryakyn.com/products.asp?bn=metric&ci=3690

better link(edited) this link shows the pegs with stirrups, then you add the offset mounts and you have the best combo.

Edited by dynodon

I use the Kuryakyn pegs. Got them from one of the guys here on VentureRiders. It's a standard mount and peg #8030. I positioned it forward due to my long legs. I'm 6'2". It fits fine but I'm thinking of getting a wider peg.

http://cdn.buzznet.com/assets/users16/marinerfan/default/Pegs_001--large-msg-12184699041.jpg

Either GW, they will both work well, just how they are hooked up. I have the 1st ones on my bike, they work great and I am not sorry that I bought them

:happy34:

Great question trickster. I am also looking for highway pegs, but wanting to add the wind deflectors or vents which also attach to the same enigine guard. A salesmen at a Dealership told me I couldn't have both is that true? Can anyone advise?

When mounting them forward and out like Mariner Fan (and I), make sure they will easily fold up and stay up when not in use. I have had several close calls with my highway pegs sticking way up and out when pulling up close to another bike or gas pump. I have actually rubbed against a few things accidently and also caught them on the gas pump hose more than once. I tend to forgetting how far they stick out. (This bike is much wider than my previous bikes.) Now I am in the habit of folding them up with my feet while rolling up to a stop before parking.

I'm 6'2" and have pegs in a position kind of like Mariner Fan, but I think they extend forward a bit more and they are flatter, about 3 inches across, and really comfortable. I don't know the brand, but they are fully adjustable for angle. They extend out enough that my legs are straight. I have put more then 8,000 miles on my bike in 4 months and I use the highway pegs constantly when on the road. I also discovered that extending my legs straight with loose fitting jeans can act like an air scoop and create a wind tunnel all the way up past my crotch. It is a great way to stay cool when riding across Nebraska on a 100 degree day! The highway pegs are a must have to get your feet away from the hot engine.

See my Sturgis/Badlands/DevilsTower/Yellowstone photos in my gallery for a pic of my pegs. The one with my wife standing in front of the bike shows them best.

Russ

Edited by RockinRuss

On my '07 I have the Kuryakyn #7980 Longhorn Offset Dually ISO pegs. 1" magnum quick clamp holds well. These are a wider type footpeg. These have a 3.25" arm that you can rotate the pegs with. Really nice for long legs because you can extend the pegs further in front of the engine guards, or in my case higher and in front slightly to help avoid scraping the ground if it ever tipped over. The engine guard bars do not need more leverage working against them to protect the bike.

When folded up, they slant inward so double as a wind deflector on my ankle/shin area. Not a lot of air, but some air is deflected behind the lower cowling.

One thing to note about the clevis design - They are chromed die cast metal and use a curved (bent) D shaped washer to spring tension the pegs so they do not flop around. If you find the tension is not enough, it is tempting to tighten the clevis bolt a bit. Do not do this! Die cast parts are not designed to flex and will stress crack. The instructions just say tighten everything up and you might not think about what that implies in this case. Guess how I know this? :scratchchin:

The correct answer for a floppy fix is to bend the D washer more, or slip in a thin spacer to cause more tension.

- Mike

On my '07 I have the Kuryakyn #7980 Longhorn Offset Dually ISO pegs. 1" magnum quick clamp holds well. These are a wider type footpeg. These have a 3.25" arm that you can rotate the pegs with.

When folded up, they slant inward so double as a wind deflector on my ankle/shin area. Not a lot of air, but some air is deflected behind the lower cowling.

- Mike

Mike;

Got some pictures (deployed and stowed)??

I've got the same pegs...and I'll post a pic or two as well!

Thanks!

Hi Walt,

No close ups but I do have this one from a recent trip with the pegs folded up.

They are mounted the same as yours with about the same angles.

I should also note that any air they do manage to deflect is of no value since I wear tall riding boots.

- Mike